Best fan configuration with Noctua NH-D14

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shotosan

Best fan configuration with Noctua NH-D14

Post by shotosan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:07 pm

I have a new sandy bridge system. My case is an Antec P180B.

Right now I have no case fans accept the Noctua heat sink fans (and PSU fan). The Noctuas seamed really noisy at first (compared to my old Nexus D12SL-12 fans). So I put the ULNA voltage adapters on them and they got quieter.

Ultimately I'm looking for a really quiet machine. I don't do a lot of high intensity stuff on this machine but when I do I would like it to stay cool.

I'm thinking of several fan configurations:
1) Leaving it the way it is now. No case fan but both Noctua fans on low voltage NH-D14.
2) Removing the outside Noctua NH-D14 120MM fan from the heat sink (and leaving 140 MM in the middle of the heat sink).
3) Removing the outside Noctua NH-D14 120MM fan from the heat sink, leaving 140 MM in the middle of the heat sink). Plus adding a Nexus D12 (120mm) mounted to the case but right next to the heat sink.

Any suggestions might be best? Check out the picutres to see what it looks like with just the Noctua.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

billdcat4

Re: Best fan configuration with Noctua NH-D14

Post by billdcat4 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:33 am

shotosan wrote:I have a new sandy bridge system. My case is an Antec P180B.

Right now I have no case fans accept the Noctua heat sink fans (and PSU fan). The Noctuas seamed really noisy at first (compared to my old Nexus D12SL-12 fans). So I put the ULNA voltage adapters on them and they got quieter.

Ultimately I'm looking for a really quiet machine. I don't do a lot of high intensity stuff on this machine but when I do I would like it to stay cool.

I'm thinking of several fan configurations:
1) Leaving it the way it is now. No case fan but both Noctua fans on low voltage NH-D14.
2) Removing the outside Noctua NH-D14 120MM fan from the heat sink (and leaving 140 MM in the middle of the heat sink).
3) Removing the outside Noctua NH-D14 120MM fan from the heat sink, leaving 140 MM in the middle of the heat sink). Plus adding a Nexus D12 (120mm) mounted to the case but right next to the heat sink.

Any suggestions might be best? Check out the picutres to see what it looks like with just the Noctua.

I have a similar system. I found the NH-P14 to be too noisy at any RPM setting. I replaced both CPU fans with Nexus RealSilent @ 12v. I have the fan in the center run all the time and the second fan mounted in the front of the heatsink is controlled by a switch.

A single 1000rpm Nexus should be able to cool a Sandy Bridge system sufficiently if there are no other complicating factors.

Specs:
2500K @ 4.8ghz 1.4v
ASUS P8P67 Pro
Noctua NH-D14
Nexus Real Silent
CM ATCS 840

Also, clean up your cables you heathen

Jeroenlol

Post by Jeroenlol » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:00 am

The NH-P14 at 5v is silent unless you put your ear right next to it I can't see how you can say it "wasnt silent enough lol"

fumino

Post by fumino » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 am

Jeroenlol wrote:The NH-P14 at 5v is silent unless you put your ear right next to it I can't see how you can say it "wasnt silent enough lol"
because the ULNA doesnt drop the noctuas to 5v, iirc that one takes it to 7v or 9v

ces

Post by ces » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:38 am

Get a 120mm thermalright air duct and connect it to the 120mm exhaust port. Then test the temps using it as an intake and then as an exhaust.