Microsoft Surface Pro

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

espilva

Microsoft Surface Pro

Post by espilva » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:26 am

This machine packs more horsepower than many ultrabooks and sounds pretty quiet to me, though I'd like a proper review coming from SPCR. Any hope of getting that in the near future?

mkk

Re: Microsoft Surface Pro

Post by mkk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 am

Mail Microsoft and ask them to send one. :)

I hear it's great at low loads but naturally still get noisy when loaded(by SPCR standards). Personally I'm ruling out tablets with fans on principle.
There are fanless PC tablets and if they wanted to Microsoft could make a fanless version with a CPU from the marketing brand family of Pentium or Celeron(Bay Trail), that would still spank Atom butt and be full featured x64 systems with fast system storage. Perhaps Intel gives them a super deal on i5's, though it's not like Intel to do so. If Microsoft hadn't kept the ARM based Surface 2(formerly RT) we'd surely see less expensive models than the current Surface Pro. It's gret to be able to run something like Photoshop on a tablet, but the few times you would really need to you could probably deal with the relatively meager performance.

PFunk

Post by PFunk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 am

My friend got a Surface Pro 2 and I couldn't tell it even had a fan at idle, we were chatting though. I ran IntelBurnTest on it and it became barely audible to my ears. To me it's quiet. I don't know how the original Pro compares.

nagi

Post by nagi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:55 am

Hi there,

Surface Pro 2 owner here for a couple months.

Till this day, I've heard the fan exactly 2 times. In a game, and during pre-boot Windows update. Other than that, it is dead quiet. The fan does not run on idle, and browsing the net does not require the fan either.

That said, I didn't notice it while gaming at first, believing it to be some background noise from the game itself. I can't really relate it to many other fans at the moment, but it is much more quieter than a Nexus 12cm at full blow e.g.