Volt meters

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

munichkid

Volt meters

Post by munichkid » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:32 pm

I don't know where else ot post this so I figure I'll try here.

I am looking for SMALL volt meters. Digital of course. I would like to find some that I can fit either 3 in one 5 1/4 bay OR 1 that will do multiple inputs. I just want to put these on the fan controller and see what voltage my fans are running at all the time. We have temp monitors.

This is just another one of my frivilous things I want to put on my computer

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:39 am

Actually, if I was doing this, I would use the analog voltmeters like the ones they use in audio equipment from some time ago. Amplifiers, lever meters and so on. I think those are easily available and they look much cooler than the digital screens. Plus, they are much easier to read at a distance.

munichkid

Post by munichkid » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:45 am

But trying to use 3 analogue in a 5 1/4 bay is going to be real tight if not impossible.

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:25 am

They come in different sizes and models. I am sure you can find something you will really like and small enough to fit. With the digital panels, you will have no choice and they may be also too big to fit 3 into a single panel. If they are small enough, they will be hard to read. With analogue, the size does not matter that much because after a couple of days you will see the position of the pointer on the dial from across the room easily. Again, since they are popular for all sorts of audio equipment, you could really make something nice looking...

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:37 am

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:39 am

hofffam

Post by hofffam » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:52 am

Several retailers offer digital voltmeter kits or modules that might work. http://www.canakit.com has several but they are probably too tall to fit in a 5 1/4 inch slot. The kit at http://www.electronickits.com/kit/compl ... /ck104.htm allows you to separate the display from the circuit board. But you will need to be handy with a soldering iron.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:50 pm

Possibly not quite what you are looking for, but possibly hackable to make it work.

I have a cheapo Digital VOM from Radio Shack, that I bought a few years ago. It is a miniature unit that I usually carry in my motorcycle tool kit for diagnosing electrical probs. It is a hinged case about 2" X 4" x 3/4", externally. It opens up with the cables (~18") and probes in the top half, and the meter itself (w/ continuity, Kohm, Diode, AC and DC voltage functions in the lower half. The display readout itself is about 1/2" X 1.25" It runs off a couple of hearing aid batteries. I wouldn't classify it as a great meter, but it is good enough for quick and dirty diagnostics, and it was cheap.

Don't know if Rat Shack still makes it or not, FWIW the model # appears to be 22-179A

Gooserider