http://www.buildsilentpc.com

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Keel

Post by Keel » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:50 pm

Anyone been to this site? Wouldn't be surprised if Will Smith is a member here at spcr:D

Necroz

Post by Necroz » Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:24 pm

I wouldn't trust too much coming from this guy he thinks Vantec Stealth fans and power supplies are quiet.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:40 pm

Not much new there.

Looks like a referal site to me - everything goes almost immediately to a vendor.

Nicely laid out though.

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:03 pm

I find his money making scheme very good.

- the website is very clear and pleasant to read. The average Joe will certainly prefer reading his site rather than SPCR.
- he recommands very few components. If you don't know anything about silent computing and read his site, you will think that only Vantec stealth fans are quiet, and only the Antec Sonata is a quiet case. So you don't have to think twice : click the link and buy.
- as Riffer noticed, all links are tracked through Commission Junction so that he gets a commission.

I doubt he's a member of SPCR. Vantec stealth fans, Vantec Rheobus, 3 fans PSUS... what else can I say ?

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:13 pm

I dunno, all my vantec stealth fans are very quiet.

Oh wait, thats because I replaced them all with NMBs and none of them are plugged in...

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:01 pm

Nothing that I haven't learnt in the forums here already. He's pretty up to date on new products though.

Zhentar : good one. Got me there for a second or two :-)

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:55 pm

Hi guys, thank you so much for looking at my site :)

I admit that I was *very* wrong in choosing the Vantec Stealth power supply to recommend.

I have updated that page, and I now suggest the Zalman PSU, or Seasonics. Some people do want dual fan PSU's, and I think Thermaltake are probably the quietest dual fan PSU around, and I hope Mike gets one to review some time :)

I also added another silent case to the list, and hope to add more soon. I am going to find a new case fan to recommend later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again guys, keep the feedback coming! I will always update the site to show the best information :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:03 am

Will Smith wrote: Thanks again guys, keep the feedback coming! I will always update the site to show the best information :D
1) 86 the Vantec "Stealth" fan recommendations and go with Panaflo L1As at least. There's lots of quieter fans out there than Vantec "Stealths".

2) Ditch the Nexus Fan Controller too. It uses PWM to control the fan speed which causes a kind of growling noise in the fans that increases as you decrease the speed of them. So here you are trying to slow your fans down th make them quieter and they're getting noisier! Look into the Sunbeam Reobus from SVC instead.

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:51 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Will Smith wrote: Thanks again guys, keep the feedback coming! I will always update the site to show the best information :D
1) 86 the Vantec "Stealth" fan recommendations and go with Panaflo L1As at least. There's lots of quieter fans out there than Vantec "Stealths".

2) Ditch the Nexus Fan Controller too. It uses PWM to control the fan speed which causes a kind of growling noise in the fans that increases as you decrease the speed of them. So here you are trying to slow your fans down th make them quieter and they're getting noisier! Look into the Sunbeam Reobus from SVC instead.
Done and DONE!

I went with Panaflow and NMB for case fans, and suggested the Sunbeam as well, even though I don't get the 'growling' noise from the Nexus at all (but I'll take your word for it ;))

Thanks again :D

Keel

Post by Keel » Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:42 pm

Hmmm...you can't blame anyone for trying to make a buck off the net.

There aren't that many sites out there dedicated to "quietness" and i think buildsilentpc is one of the nicer ones, although it is directed at a more mainstream audience.

The Nexus 301 is still pwm just like the 201, but allows adjustment from 0-12v and includes two bright sound activated CCFL's, which can be controlled on the same front panel for just $39, very hard not to recommend to a first time builder looking for some extras.

The Nexus nxp-201 had adjustments from 7-12v and only when the knobs were by the 7v side does the buzzing occur. Even with the nature of pwm, possibly with the larger range of the 301, the buzzing will only occur at and around 0 volts??? Just guessing.

Keyz316
Friend of SPCR

Post by Keyz316 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:17 am

Hey Will... I like the site, well done. Did you use SBI for it? If so, how do you like it? I've been considering trying it out.

Peace :)

FiXxXeR

Post by FiXxXeR » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:30 am

Will: my own experience is NOT to recommend Zalman PSU:s, at least not their 300w model. You need to keep the case temp pretty low, to avoid making the psu spin up to max (2500rpm recalling correctly), which happened all the time for me after about 10-15min.

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:42 am

Keyz316 wrote:Hey Will... I like the site, well done. Did you use SBI for it? If so, how do you like it? I've been considering trying it out.

Peace :)
No idea what SBI is, so I guess not ;)

Gooserider

Hey Mike C....

Post by Gooserider » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:46 pm

Not to try and cause trouble, but shouldn't Will be given a 'Vendor' tag? Nothing negative intended, but per some of the discussion about other vendors it seems useful to know who is here selling things so we can ask them questions...

Gooserider

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:07 pm

I'm not selling anything.