If you thought P4E was hot

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats

If you thought P4E was hot

Post by Mats » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:34 am

Check this out

I didn't think it was THAT bad.
Anyway I'm not interested, it feels good to see the old 2500+@2,4GHz being faster in some gaming benchmarks than the 3,4GHz P4E....

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:30 pm

At temps like that, I'd expect to see a lot of failures of these chips sooner rather than later - especially where people are using stock cooling because they don't know any better.

That is one fast fan too...

Belgarion

Post by Belgarion » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 pm

The worst part will be when Intel tries to crank up the frequencies. If the 3.4 GHz is that hot, imagine how bad the 4 GHz will be! Sounds like time for another die shrink.

This gives me a business idea, though. I'll build a small render farm of these and set them up with a water cooling system. The water tubes will join through a manifold to go into a heat exhanger hooked up to my water heater. The processor heat will give me free hot water, and I'll charge for render time. A 4500 watt electric water heater could be replaced by just 30 nodes running at 150 watts each (say 110 for the CPU and 40 for the balance of system). All I need is a small bank loan for the hardware and 3D software packages...