How to calculate wattage for processor?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PorBleemo

How to calculate wattage for processor?

Post by PorBleemo » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:55 am

I have a 2500+ (1833Mhz) running with a 1.3v core stably. Now I was wondering how I could calculate the wattage as I am trying to figure out total system power consumption. If it helps it runs at about 38c full load with a 92mm Panaflo L1a at about 7v.

Thank you!

-Por

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:12 am

Overclocked watts = (normal watts)*(overclocked mhz / normal mhz)*(overclocked voltage / normal voltage)^2

You can get your normal cpu consumption and voltage from AMD's datasheets.
For your desktop 2500+ , we have

Nominal voltage : 1.65V
Typical consumption : 53.7W
Maximum consumption : 68.3W

With 1.3V and the same mhz , you get :

Typical : 33.3W
Maximum : 42.4W

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:56 am

Here's a little calculator for you.

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:09 am

Hey Ralf: as long as you in the mood to provide links. How about that calculator that you can use to determine your total system wattage. I thought I saw the link here but now I can't find it. (I did see one where drop-down menus were used, but its database was really limited. The one I am referring to was more like just a worksheet.

thanx

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:17 am

loren_brothers wrote:Hey Ralf: as long as you in the mood to provide links. How about that calculator that you can use to determine your total system wattage. I thought I saw the link here but now I can't find it. (I did see one where drop-down menus were used, but its database was really limited. The one I am referring to was more like just a worksheet.

thanx
I've seen several different incarnations of those things and they're basically worthless. They make generalized assumptions about the power draw of various components that doesn't seem to accurate in the real world. They each give you a different result too. Which is correct? My guess would be "none".

I finally broke down and bought a Kill-a-watt last year. Why guess?

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:59 am

i guess the "kill-a-watt" would be just ducky if a system is already in use, but not so spiffy if one is trying to determine power draw of a yet to be built system. :(

I will keep looking....I am bound to find it again someday.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:13 pm

Here's an even better calculator: CPU Power by Kostik

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:13 pm

If there's need / requests, I can try to write up a post on calculating the power budget (ergo - theoretical drain)?

I should (if I can extract it from somewhere) an e-mail saved when I had to explain to a guy unable to hold a screwdriver how to calculate a power-budget for a server and why his server was restarting all the time.

Nice thing that you can't argue with the maths :D.

Likely something for the weekend or so.

Don't want to teach you lot how to suck eggs, obviously, so if there's something like that here, I'm sure Ralph will just provide the link? As far as I know, "system" power budgets need to be calculated by hand really.

Problem with desktop systems is that not anywhere near as many components are fully spec'ed up (in terms of power drain) as readily as they are in the server world... :(