USB 2.0 PCI INTERNAL Type A to 2*5 case header

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Post by dan » Sun May 09, 2004 1:35 pm

My SOYO-TISU is so ancient that it does not come with usb 2.0, only the slower 1.1.

My FRONT CASE ANTEC EASY USB only supports 2*5 male pin headers intended for a row of 2*5 male pin USB headers on the
motherboard. case front USB ports use a row of 5 pins, 2*5 to connect to the USB.

The Front case ANTEC USB USB headers row of 2*5 pins do connect to the 2*5 row of pin USB headers on the SOYO-TISU, through a cable on female on both ends 2*5 connectors. giving usb 1.1 (although the power pins are inoperative) 2 front USB type A connectors.

Recently, I purchased an USB 2.0 PCI with 1 internal USB
type "A" connector. I was hoping I could connect that connector to the front USB case ports, but there are no cables I know of that connects Type A connectors to USB headers.

Is there a cable or adapter that could connect the USB 2.0 PCI internal type A connector to the 2*5 row of pins in the case?

One thing to keep in mind is that the external front case has 2 USB type A ports, but the internal USB PCI card has only one type A port, so the cable or adapter would have to act as a kind of 2-port hub, allowing one internal USB PCI port to connect to two external USB ports, but it would have to also be a type A to a header 2*5 pin connection.

Are there any adapters or cables that can do the trick? In theory, the adapter could be

1) a female 2*5 connector that connects directly on the case's two row of pins, with a single slot for a type A connector or

2) connects to the USB PCI type A port on the card itself, with 2*5 row of pins to connect to a cable that then connects up front.

Thanks
Dan

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sun May 09, 2004 3:20 pm

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Sun May 09, 2004 8:52 pm

You can build one.

Get an old ide cable, and get the USB connector.
Take a look at your motherboard's manual to see which are VCC, GND, Data + and Data -.
Then just wire that to the USB connector.

I did something like that, but I wired the buttons and LEDs at the front panel.

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 10, 2004 11:52 am

i just want to take the time to say thanks to

Skylined and fmah. i'm contacting the company fmah recommended.

thanks

dan

build one?

Post by dan » Mon May 10, 2004 5:32 pm

Skylined

that's quite a solution, i guess i would need a type A connector.

but one question i have is this:

my PCI USB 2.0 card has 1 type A connector,

but my Antec Easy USB has 2 rows of 5 pins, for 2 external USB ports.

will wiring just work, or do i need some kind of hub multiplier?