Intel Pentium-M to replace P4 as highend desktop processor!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PorBleemo

Intel Pentium-M to replace P4 as highend desktop processor!

Post by PorBleemo » Tue May 11, 2004 3:20 pm

Notice there have been some significant naming changes since the last roadmap we published. It seems the Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) and Low Voltage (LV) naming convensions have flip flopped. The LV processors are now regarded as the "higher" numbered chips. Even though the product name is not supposed to denote performance, it seems the move to rate the LV processors higher than the ULV processors (a reversal on the original naming) seems to suggest otherwise.

You may notice the Intel 720 is listed in the 7xx family of processors and that these processors all share something in common; Banias or Dothan core.
This is certaintly welcome news! Notice the model numbers between the PMs and the P4s. Hopefully we can start to see these more available in the desktop market soon. If we're lucky maybe with an Intel version of Cool n' Quiet. And if you factor in that PMs are about 1.6x clock-for-clock compared to the P4s then the 2.13Ghz PM is as fast as a 3.4Ghz P4.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=2048

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Tue May 11, 2004 3:34 pm

I laughed even more when I looked at the Celeron table. :shock: 8)

Cheers,

Jan

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue May 11, 2004 10:43 pm

Now if only NVIDIA would make a chipset for them they might find their way inside my box!