Epox 8RDA3+ Fan?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cjaddr-spcr

Epox 8RDA3+ Fan?

Post by cjaddr-spcr » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:06 am

I'm in the process of building a quiet(er) pc. I have a seagate drive, AMD 2400+ and some memory. I need a case,motherboard,PS and CPU cooler.

I thought I had settled on the Epox 8RDA3+ because it seemed reasonably priced with a lot of features (firewre & serial ATA being ones that I really like). It's also undervoltable and is listed as fully supporting Nvidia's system utility (don't really now how useful this will be). I went to newegg to check it out and the pictures show a chipset fan. I have seen pictures of it at review sites and there was no chipset fan.

Which one is it? Does this motherboard have a fan or not? Does it matter? Should I be concerned if the motherboard has a fan on it? Seems like the fewer fans the better to me? Anybody own this motherboard? Is there a revision I should make sure I get.

Thanks a lot in advance for any replies.

Fan:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp ... 198-06.JPG

No Fan:
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image ... 82X2wuanBn

PorBleemo

Post by PorBleemo » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 am

If the one at NewEgg has a fan it probably comes with one. However I would think that a tiny NB fan would make as much noise as a tiny GPU fan so I would try to get rid of it ASAP. The Zalman NBxx series are a good solution for this.

-Por

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:39 am

That's a tough question.... You should email or call Newegg and find out. Epox's website shows no fan, and another store, Axion Technologies, is showing it as having no fan.

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:34 am

IMHO it matter on what they godt and from where the pictures are made. After all, no big deal, just in case of fan is necessary to get a passive big Zalman block. Mine Epox 8RDA+ are passively cooled and working well with FSB 200Mhz (400):

However PorBleemo, my fan on my Sapphire Radeon9100 started making TERRIBLE noise about a week after i start used this card - but brother Abit mobo has running for more that year with tiny chipset fan, almost unaudible - witch means - it's a gamble - either you are lucky and the fan lun long and queit, or simply dies after few days... :roll:
Perhaps the "upside - down" installation of fan on GPU are the worsest one? Well, i got HP-80A Zamlan VHA heatpipe cooler and run it passively since then :wink: 8)

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:37 pm

I have an Epox 8RDA3G which is the same but without SATA support. I just removed the fan from the northbridge and it has been doing fine for about a month now. The heatsink is good sized but you could just use a Zalman cooler if you wanted more security.