CPUBurn prog=a virus?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

CPUBurn prog=a virus?

Post by Bluefront » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:36 pm

I just did a new XP pro install, installed MacAffee Virus Program and updated it. After that I attempted to install CPUBurn (CPU stress program)......The virus scanner recognized it as a virus and wouldn't install it. Wierd since I've done this setup before w/o problems. Maybe the new virus definations are seeing CPUburn wrong or?????

It was detected as a trojan.....NTRootkit-G.

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:16 am

I don't know, but My MacAffe also complained about CPU-burn after some recent upgrade.

I however have not had any problems with it so far (but I can't say for sure since I don't really run it on this puter).

Also macaffo only said some of the .exe were bad not all of them.

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:33 am

No, CPUBurn is a great too, but not virus :wink:

MacAffe scaning did bad this time and got confused with a part of code, that it thinks might be dangerous :wink:

...and yep, the CPUBurn is dangerous, when you run it at high priority and don't have proper cooling, it might even fry your CPU, so partly the virus software is right :lol: :lol: :lol:
It can be hamfull :lol: :lol: :lol:

davidrees

Post by davidrees » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:50 am

McAfee found the same thing on my PC today - it is labled as a trojan, but I have not been able to find anything on the net about it.

Not sure if this is related, but it has me paranoid - I just started using MSN messenger - have used hotmail since before MS bought it - MSN messenger logged me out twice and said I was logged in at another PC. I changed my password and scanned and found this trojan.

I am removing the CPU Burn software.

trodas

Post by trodas » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:27 am

Weird, but i dubt it could be related :roll:
Witch version you using? I used the old 1.0, perhaps in the 1.01 things get wrong, or you downloaded an infected copy? :roll:

NotDefault

Post by NotDefault » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:49 pm

Windows Messenger (msmsgs.exe, IIRC) likes interfering with MSN Messenger. End the process for Windows Messenger and the problem will go away until it starts up again (it seems to happen when logging in sometimes). You can run Windows Messenger and check out the options; if you uncheck those that make it log in automatically, that should take care of it forever.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:47 am

I downloaded and scanned all cpuburn files from the following archives:

CPU burn 4
http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/cpuburn4.zip

CPU Burn in 1.01
http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/dow ... urn-in.zip

Neither archive contains a virus or trojan according to TDS-3/a2/ESS anti-trojan scanners and NOD-32/Panda ActiveScan/Trend Micro Housecall anti-virus scanners.

So rest assured, it's more than likely a false positive (i.e. not a virus or a trojan)

regards,
Halcyon

PS CPU Burn produces higher temps than CPU Burn-in. I'd use that for stress/heat testing.