Any CPUBURN type software for DOS boot disk??

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimbobUK

Any CPUBURN type software for DOS boot disk??

Post by jimbobUK » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:15 pm

I just took the plunge and ordered a watercooled case system for my main PC.. I'm quite obssessed by quiet but am also tolerant to a point and i want to see how quiet watercooling can be.. i figure my (quiet but still audible) PSU will mask any attempts at VERY VERY quiet.. my hdds will attempt to get over it too.. so i figure its not too critical.. I'll be sure to update people on here when i recieve it and start to tinker..

Anyways on topic.. I am going to rely on my ASUS motherboards COP feature which powers down the machine with high temperatures.. I've never got near it before as its set high... I am tempted to bring the temp down a lot further if i manage to cool nicely.. to give me plenty of lee way.. anyways to really test cop i wanna stress it and then let it power down.. I'd rather not be in windows as it may trash my windows install or hdds (hey, anything seems keen on trying at the moment with my hdds so i'd rather be careful) so what i really want is a floppy boot disk based cpu burner.. I'm not fussed if its really optimum thrashing.. just a nice high CPU usage task would probably be enough to get it quite high..

Anyone know of any!? if not why not, to me its definately something that makes sense..

Cheers

Jim

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:40 am

Prime95. Haven't run it under DOS myself but my assumption is the Win version needs Win for uploads etc and for torture test only DOS should be fine?

Been said a couple of times here but the (nearly) unique feature of Prime torture test is it is actually verifying the results for accuracy as well. Most likely your CPU will be generating errors long before you observe other symptoms of poor cooling.

And recent tests on a new box I have show Folding (under Linux) running about 120W (AC) compared to Prime running 123W. I expect CPUBurn may get that to 125W but dont see the point: if the only objective is to heat the CPU I would use a blowtorch :)

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:33 pm

Ok will try.. didn't realise there was a command line version..

I'm not concerned about valididity of calculations.. tho have used prime before and spotted problems.. i'm purely wanting to cook the CPU to test that COP can shut down.. I'm hoping with water cooling to keep the CPU nice and cool so the COP shutdown temp will be near to normal temperatures with fan..

Will have to see..

Cheers

Jim

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:39 pm

I dont think Prime95 is a go.. its a windows app with a full gui.. :(

Morpheusman

Re: Any CPUBURN type software for DOS boot disk??

Post by Morpheusman » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:34 am

jimbobUK wrote:....anyways to really test cop i wanna stress it and then let it power down.. I'd rather not be in windows as it may trash my windows install or hdds (hey, anything seems keen on trying at the moment with my hdds so i'd rather be careful) so what i really want is a floppy boot disk based cpu burner.. I'm not fussed if its really optimum thrashing.. just a nice high CPU usage task would probably be enough to get it quite high..

Anyone know of any!? if not why not, to me its definately something that makes sense..

Cheers

Jim
You might want to take a look at http://overclockix.octeams.com/ Overclockix is a live linux distribution on a bootable CD that has a lot of testing software, including CPUburn, memtest, and others. With this, you should be able to test your system without the need to install anything to the hard drive. I haven't used it myself yet, but the project looks very promising.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:58 pm

MoJo-chan

Post by MoJo-chan » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:17 am

I was looking for a similar kind of thing and came up with this:

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=2098

There are a couple of bookdisks on there. There is one with Memtest86(+) and Prime95, and one with CPUBurnIn.

I also found Stresslinux, a 50MB distro that boots from CD and has things like Prime95, CPUBurn, Memtest etc. Best of all it can monitor your CPU temperature (on supported boards). Sadly it has not been updated for a long time and is tricky to use.

I'm surprised no-one has come up with a DOS program to monitor CPU temperature. Combined with CPUBurn, Prime95 and Memtest it would make an ultimate overclockers bootdisk.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:49 pm

You might also try looking at 'Knoppix' It is a bootable CD Linux distro that is intended for demoing the OS on Windows machines, and also gets used alot for data recovery (It can read most formats including the MS disk formats even when MS products can't. I've heard it can even get around many of the MS password protections)

I'm not sure what Knoppix includes for torture testing, but even if it doesn't have anything explicit, I'm sure you can write scripts that will beat on the system quite thouroghly - A standard Linux torture routine is to do multiple, repeated kernel compiles which works over the entire system due to heavy CPU, RAM and Disk access.

Gooserider