thermal diode placement (psu, cpu, case)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimveta

thermal diode placement (psu, cpu, case)

Post by jimveta » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:30 am

what's the best place to place the diode for a fan when used to cool a case, cpu, and psu? i guess it must also depend on the speed to temp spec, but in general, what's the optimum place for each three?

futhermore, what's the order of fan speed among those 3? i have a silenx case fan that i'd like to replace a low power matx psu fan with, but dunno where to put the sensor.. e.g. right on the heatsink inside the psu? outside the psu, next to cpu heatsink? etc.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:30 am

If a fan is controlled by a single temp sensor it is generally good to place the sensor to measure what you want the fan to cool.
So, for a case fan you just want to put the sensor in the case. Preferably high up, since hot air raises.
For a PSU fan, if the main purpous is to cool the PSU it should be placed in a heatsink inside the PSU.
For a CPU fan the best place is very close to the CPU die (this gives faster response to DIE temperature change). If this is not practically possible to have the sensor close to the die you can put it in the heatsink.

If you got a normal temp controlled fan it might be easy to reduce the fan speed by just moving the sensor to a slightly colder place. E.g. further out in the heatsink. In theory this is the wrong way to do it, but in reallity it often works fine.