TFT vs CRT

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JEN

TFT vs CRT

Post by JEN » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:35 am

Hi

Im interested in getting a TFT, but would like to find out a little bit before I do.

First of all, how much does it cost to run a CRT 17" monitor per hour?
and secondly, how much would it cost to run a TFT 17" monitor per hour?

Plus, do TFT monitors make any buzzing sounds?

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:51 am

i have a bloody good crt (philips 109P4, professional 19") and let me tell you, i'm not buying another crt again. the buzz that the monitor makes is the loudest thing in my system.

trodas

Post by trodas » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:52 am

No, TFT is not doing any sound, but same noiseless are every monitor, unless is defective and then is time for RMA.
Typical 17" CRT consuming about 85W, but it could be up to 120W when all the screen is white brightness are maxed out :wink:
I don't know wattage of TFT, but sure it's much lower. Except maybe the models that support the VGA (not DVI) signal imput too - the conversion eat some power, but talking about no more that 10 watts for it :wink:
My bet for TFT will be about 25-35W, but check the specs of models, that are you interesed about :P

Metaluna

Post by Metaluna » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:40 am

As a point of reference, I measured my Viewsonic VG191 19" TFT using the power meter built in to my UPS, and I estimate that it is using about 20-25W.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:02 am

I can't speak for power consumption, but my TFT buzzes (very slightly) if the back-light isn't set to full illumination (I'm guessing it uses the same PWM-style voltage control as found in some dimmer switches, it sounds very similar).

Having said that the buzzing is a lot less offensive than my CRT (a 2-year old Iiyama 19"), and goes away if I turn the back-light to 100%.

And the picture is indescribably better than a CRT (especially when driven via DVI). Would go back to CRT unless you paid me ... lotsa cash (eg. enough to buy a 22" flat-panel :D).

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:03 am

I guess that Jen want's the argument of saved money in electricity will pay for the cost of the TFT screen (or part of it).
A fair comparison is between a 19" CRT and a 17" TFT since the viewing area is about the same on those screens.
The 19" CRT ~100W+
The 17" TFT ~20W

So the difference is roughly 80W.
The price of electricity varies a lot depending on place on earth and season etc, but $0.05 per kW is probably close to the cost.
So the difference of 80W is 0.08kW.

So each hour you would save 0.08*0.05=$0.004
Unfortunately it will take many hours to pay for that TFT...

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:07 am

TFT wattage can vary a lot so check the specs. a popular 21" dell model uses 90 Watts! thats a lot for a TFT. average 17" use 30 or less.

i made a spreadsheet at one point to compare cost savings between the two. IIRC, i estimated a 120W CRT vs a 30W TFT... for $.12 / kWh energy costs, it still takes almost 8 years to offset the price difference ($150 for CRT vs $400 for TFT) if used for 8 hrs per day.

the 30W TFT costs about $2.63 / mo if on 24 / 7, the 120W CRT would cost $10.51. but no one keeps them all the time, right?

and i must be a freak, but i had a quality TFT and ended up returning it for a good CRT. i still think CRT picture is better, but i know i'm in the minority there. i miss the sexy small size of the TFT though.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:14 am

flyingsherpa wrote:TFT wattage can vary a lot so check the specs. a popular 21" dell model uses 90 Watts! thats a lot for a TFT. average 17" use 30 or less.
The dell you mentioned is actually a 20" monitor, and when compared to a 20" CRT, it consumes a lot less power. :)

One thing for the original poster. CRTs have a very high frequency noise that's made when they're on. I swear that I can hear it, but only when I compare it to itself when turned off. I can't say that I've heard a TFT yet. Also, though I can't comment on slightly damaged TFTs, slight damaged CRTs will function properly, but at the same time, make noises. I have one CRT in my closet right now that makes an annoying noise when turned on.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:28 am

sthayashi wrote:
flyingsherpa wrote:TFT wattage can vary a lot so check the specs. a popular 21" dell model uses 90 Watts! thats a lot for a TFT. average 17" use 30 or less.
The dell you mentioned is actually a 20" monitor, and when compared to a 20" CRT, it consumes a lot less power. :)
you're right on both accounts. i guess my point was that most 19" TFTs are in the 40W-ish range... going up 1" and doubling the dissipation seems excessive. i imagine future models in this range will be around 50W instead. but yes, a 20" CRT uses tons more.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:49 am

As far as image quality goes, a properly calibrated CRT is still the best--for now. In particular, alternate display types can't match a CRT's dynamic range. Only CRTs are capable of really black blacks and accurately reproducing dark details at the same time as displaying bright whites.

However, CRTs are a pain to keep properly calibrated. It's well worth the effort for a graphics pro, but for most of us the inferior blacks of an LCD or DLP display are easily outweighed by the nigh-perfect no-hassle geometry/convergence.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:46 am

as far as I'm aware TFT monitors still need to use a transformer to lower the voltage from the mains. A cheap transformer will buzz annoyingly loudly. Some TFT's come with cheap transformers, and will therefore make the same sort of annoying buzzing noises as seen in CRT's.

Not all TFT's make this noise of course, and there are also different types of buzzes CRT's and TFT's can make. One possible benefit of a TFT monitor is that some have a separate power block that you leave on the floor. This will house the transformer and since its further away any noises from it will be less intrusive.

As for picture quality, only you can be the judge. Get yourself down to a few shops and try out different monitors. TFT's suffer from blurred images during fast movment. Also TFT's often have their brightness turned up too high that can hurt the eyes after several hours use.

Personally, I'm sticking to CRT. I had to buy a new CRT recently when my old one failed. It was an agonising choice - TFT or CRT, in the end I went for the CRT (cheaper and TFT's are still making advances). Next time it will be TFT for sure.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:58 am

I have a Sony 23 inch TFT, it actually has cooling fans in it that make some noise, louder then my PC now that it's been quieted. It's a fair trade off though, I love it.

JEN

Post by JEN » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:54 am

Thanks for the info.

sounds like a 17" TFT is around 4 times cheaper to run than a 17" CRT

Any recommendations on which 17" TFT to get, (preferably one with minimal buzz) :D

tias

Post by tias » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:01 am

I just bought Samsung SyncMaster 193P (19") and it is excellent. Colours and viewing angle is very impressive. Gaming I can't say anything about because I don't game, but for graphic work/surf etc its awesome.

And it doesnt make ANY sound whatsoever.

Beyonder

Re: TFT vs CRT

Post by Beyonder » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:02 am

JEN wrote:Hi

Im interested in getting a TFT, but would like to find out a little bit before I do.

First of all, how much does it cost to run a CRT 17" monitor per hour?
and secondly, how much would it cost to run a TFT 17" monitor per hour?

Plus, do TFT monitors make any buzzing sounds?
I don't know the exact cost difference, but I believe the typical TFT consumes half the energy that a CRT does. So if the 17" CRT consumes 100 watts, you can expect the TFT to consume somewhere aroun ~50 watts or so. I do know it's significantly less.

Also, I've been reading that TFT color representation is almost completely up to par with CRTS, with the sole exception of the reproduction of black tones. Their geometry is naturally perfect, and most importantly, they're silent as the dead. I have a 19" crt that is the noisiest componenet in my entire system--and it's a high pitched whine, which is essentially the most annoying noise imaginable.

trodas

Post by trodas » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:07 am

IsaacKuo - agreed. TFT panels lack the depth of colors. However for text, they are unbeatable. Sharp. But i see the grid, and this annoy me... :wink:
Also not good for online games - and DVD/WM9/HDTV movies for the lack of color fidelity.

But hey, say after 5+ years, it might finally touch my Eizo colors :twisted:

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:06 pm

A point (other than the power leeching) speaking FOR TFT's is the WEIGHT (which, I believe, no-one's pointed THAT out yet).

Handy if you intend to visit friends, go to LAN Parties or somesuch.

My next monitor is DEFINATELY not a CRT anymore. Moving 25 Kg's of monitor is getting quite a nuisance. :)

So - little bad to be said about decent TFT's nowadays.
- Less power usage.
- Less weight.
- better signal (I'd hope not to see an analog TFT in some time now).

... just better? ;).

yermolovd

Post by yermolovd » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:30 pm

Show me a TFT that is as descent in colors as my Viewsonic and is as good for playing action games like Q3/D3/HL2/FarCry and that doesnt cost twice as much as a CRT, I'd gladly buy it! But im surely buying TFT next, in maybe a year or two ;).

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:41 pm

My TFT (Acer AL718) does make a slight noise, but it's very faint (inaudible if there is more than a tiny amount of background noise) and very high pitched (20 kHz?) so not everyone will be able to hear it. I still haven't figured out what causes it though, and the monitor is fantastic compared to my previous 17" CRT, as well as a lot quieter.