sooooo close to silent!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Graphite

sooooo close to silent!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post by Graphite » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:09 pm

lian li pc-75 case

watercooling setup on cpu and gpu

the things that are making noise are simple

3 120mm evercool fans. Although very queit fans...the location of these fans are what is giving me fits.

the radiator is at the very top of the case, with 2 120's sucking air through it, out the top of the case. These fans go directly to my ear. Fan controlled, around 6v. The 3rd fan is at the very bottom of the case, sucking cold air from bottom, and blowing it up. Set even lower than the other 2 fans.

It's a pretty darn queit system right now, massively overclocked, so i can't just turn the fans down all the way, i need some airflow. The pump IS NOT suspended in the case, it is mounted directly to the case, but it does not vibrate enough to make noise. You'd have to see what i did with it to make it this way...it's amazing. (pics on way)

You guys are brilliant, help me out.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:01 pm

i guess your at a point where you can't quiet it down anymore than it is. i mean, you just can't take the fans out of your case or anything, your only option left it seems is to mount your case in a different room or a closet so you dont have to listen to it anymroe. BTW, you might get better responses if you post another/move this post into the watercooling section.

Dalbert

Post by Dalbert » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:42 pm

What about a set of baffles on the top of your case to direct the sound backwards without restricting airflow significantly?

I had a nice ASCII picture the first time I tried to reply, but the $#*@ forum software erased all the "extra" spaces.

Imagine taking a few squares of cardboard as wide as your case and setting them on top of your case/exhaust area, each angled backwards about 30-45 degrees. That's the concept. The implementation can be fancy, like using the McMaster Carr 3-layer aluminum with absorption foam attached to it for the baffles.

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:33 pm

I bet you can get that system to run only with 1 120fan, try removing the botom one and one of the fans on the radiator also, you would have only 1 fan blowing air out of the case through the radiator. ;)
leave the opening on the bottom

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:44 pm

Dalbert, for ASCII art, use the CODE tag.

Code: Select all

Look  at this code without lots of spaces.

Look       at      this      code      WITH     lots      of     spaces     :D
Voila :).

Dalbert

Post by Dalbert » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:45 pm

shathal wrote:Dalbert, for ASCII art, use the CODE tag.

Look  at this code without lots of spaces.

Look       at      this      code      WITH     lots      of     spaces     :D
Voila :).

T   h   a   n   k   s   !

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:40 pm

jpsa wrote:I bet you can get that system to run only with 1 120fan, try removing the botom one and one of the fans on the radiator also, you would have only 1 fan blowing air out of the case through the radiator. ;)
leave the opening on the bottom
i'm massively overclocking my machine, so i need to have all the fans running. I'm currently constructing an aluminium "wind baffle" to exhaust the air out the back without restricting flow, without adding another 6 inches to the already massive case.

Maybe i'm at the limit of silencing my computer. I have to sacrifice a bit of sound with a ton of speed.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:39 am

From the sound of it, unless you haven't already softmounted your fans - which may cut sound further - all you're going to be able to do is redirect the sound away from your ears. The aluminium baffle you're constructing may be the only way to go - particularly if you can line it with dampening material.

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:57 am

It's really sad , but overclocking doesn't mix too well with silencing.
You aren't really getting the same overclock with fans @ 12V and fans @ 6V , are you?
You already sacrificed some mhz to get this far , you'll probably need to sacrifice more to go further.
And even if you don't do it now , you'll have to do it when ambient temperatures rise (summer).

Do you have a shroud on the radiator?
If you don't , adding one will decrease air turbulence quite a bit.

Also , atleast try removing the bottom fan , it'll probably make next to no difference in cooling performance.

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:32 am

As apocalypse80 was hinting towards, do you really NEED to OC that system.

Or, OC it "to high heaven"?

Drop the MHz, drop the heat, drop the revs on the fans :)

PorBleemo

Post by PorBleemo » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:26 am

shathal wrote:As apocalypse80 was hinting towards, do you really NEED to OC that system.

Or, OC it "to high heaven"?

Drop the MHz, drop the heat, drop the revs on the fans :)
I agree, I don't play games anymore so I turned my "3200+" down to normal 2500+ speeds and lowered the voltage to 1.325v. Now it makes half the heat with loads at 40c. SpeedFan is set to kick in the Panaflos if the system gets too hot. I'm happy. :)

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:12 am

Well , actually , I couldn't even convince myself :oops: to stop overclocking (look at sig) , all that speed is just too sweet.

However I sacrifised 100+ mhz by removing some fans and undervolting all of the rest (I only use 2640mhz for benchmarking).
And as summer draws near and temperatures rise , I see that I'll have to give up around 100mhz more (at least) to maintain quiet operation. :cry:

So , in fact , I am in Graphite's shoes , torn between silence and speed.......

Graphite

Post by Graphite » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:02 pm

it's hard to slow things down when you buy things to make them go fast =)

i can run 240x10.5 at a vcore of 1.775, so it's not blazing hot. The fans are running pretty slow, just enough to get enough air moving on the parts needed. The 2x512 mushkin's at 3.3vdimm get pretty warm if you don't have some sort of air flow on it. And yes, the fan shroud is on their. Almost a must in my situation, or it wouldn't have fit.

To bad my case had to be a wind tunnel for everything to cool the way i wanted it to. I spent way to much time adjusting fans and using tiny pieces of paper to actually see the airflow, and then just giving up and using a smoke machine. Had to put in an old shot motherboard with an ol video card just to simulate turbulence points. Fans were then cleaned accordingly. It's not exactly my motherboard, but it was close enough to simulate it without damaging it with the smoke machine.

The baffle works great. I don't even need to put noise killer inside of the baffle, i don't believe it'd make a difference. The strange thing of it is, airflow wasn't effected by the baffle....wonder if it's because the aluminium looked like mirror before i started folding. I had it perfectly smooth...more or less because i was bored on a day off.