AMD 64 3200 w. cool'n'quiet and asus q-fan & stockHSF= n

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

msmrodan

AMD 64 3200 w. cool'n'quiet and asus q-fan & stockHSF= n

Post by msmrodan » Sun May 16, 2004 2:05 am

just to relate my experiences, I got me a nice ASUS K8V with AMD 64 3200 a week or two ago.

This is for studio recording work so silence is very very important here..

Anyway the whole system is sitting in a padded chieftec "dragon" with 1 case fan at 5v in the back and a modded stock psu fan at around 6V

First off, lets start by saying how goldarn STABLE this setup is...those ASUS boards are gr8 stuff!

now with the stock AMD HSF (which is a very sturdy affair btw, copper base +thin aluminum fins) temps range between 40C and 54C, depending on load and fan speed.

After installing cool'n'quiet and q-fan with the system idling the fan typically spins at 1500-2000 rpm (max 5000 rpm), then shuts down completely (yup, 0 rpm) until the cpu temps goes up to 50-55 C and then starts up again. (remember this is with almost no airflow through the case).

now what you've all been waiting for - noise: the HSF is very very quiet...even at 2500 rpm its got a very muted humlike sound, and at 0 rpm its pure bliss...just a distant whisper from the slow psu fan.

All in all very recomended if ye'r looking for an out of the box quiet high end system and are woeful of prescott :)

but of course my Zalman Reserator will arrive soon, and then we shall see how low (noisewise) I can go...I'm gonna mod it to watercool the PSU , hehe.

Additionaly, I got a fanless system in the works utilizing a 3 square meter radiator I ripped and resurrected from the local junkyard and hopefuly some cheapy cheap waterblocks ...will post on my progress here

cheers,

MSM 8)

NeilBlanchard

I can second this

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 16, 2004 7:28 am

Hello:

One of the two Athlon 64 3000+ used the stock HSF -- it is pretty good with a FanMate, too. I was using it on an ECS 755-A2 motherboard which did not have the ability to slow the fan. The Zalman is quieter than the stock HSF and it is more effective -- but the stock one was the only one that I had that would fit on that motherboard, and it is pretty decent.

The Alpha and the Swiftech would have also fit and they would have been better cooling and probably quieter, too.