TRENDnet TK-400 KVM - Get rid of the buzzer?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

TRENDnet TK-400 KVM - Get rid of the buzzer?

Post by johnc » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:37 pm

This is a long, long shot. I needed to replace my 2-port KVM with a 4-port model because I am recalling to active duty an ancient Dell that has all my Web site stuff on it.

I purchased a TRENDnet Tk-400 KVM switch. It is a bit quirky, but does reasonably well except for one awful thing: Every time I change computers it gives a warning beep. This sounds like a hungry sparrow with a megaphone.

I have sent an e-mail to TRENDnet support, but no word back from them yet. The box does have screws, so I should be able to muck around the innards. Does anyone have experience quieting this device or one vaguely like it? Suspect this will need to be a hardware solution, if you get my drift, and I doubt there will be a little speaker in there.

Thanks for any ideas.

John Coyle

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:29 am

Well, I do it for my old analog Microcom external modem once :lol: :wink:

When there is sound, something making it :wink: Find what and destroy it :lol: All :P

So, if there is no warranty risk or you are willing to take it, go on, unscrew the poor thing, look at the PCB and you sure find the little speaker there. It should look like black round thing with smaller hole in the middle and on top of it, trough it you can see the membran - usualy pretty shining, made from so thin metal... :wink:

Now desolder it from the PCB and you are done :P :twisted:

This sounds easy, but for my microcom, I have to destroy the thing to be able to remove it from the PCB, so you might end using similar brutal methods too :? In that case, RMA could be tricky :lol: (it depend of they open the thing or not, of course, chances are... :wink: )

After all, keep us posted how hard this was :wink: