Orac 3

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cyberpukish

Orac 3

Post by Cyberpukish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:21 am

Have anyone seen this casing mod?
http://bit-tech.net/article/135/
The workmanship is amazing!

shathal

Post by shathal » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:03 am

Nice.

Though somewhat unlikely to be quiet, I suspect ;).

Cyberpukish

Post by Cyberpukish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:40 am

On the contrary, its water cooled.... maybe it is quiet. But that is the coolest alien ware i have seen!

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:01 am

It is infact a VERY cool case......I actually don't like how "messy" it is.

chucuSCAD

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:38 pm

The guy's been working on this for a while. The earlier incarnations (sans green stuff) looked better.

Way too much "stuff" in there for my tastes.

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:24 pm

The guys at bit-tech are great, you all should check their forum, they have lots of project logs of really nice things.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:27 pm

Youre too much of a minimalist Ralf. I like the green stuff, but I agree the case has WAY too many conduits/stuff. Although thinking about it a sparsely populated case might not look as flashy at first glance.
Definitely a mod showing excellent workmanship and good ideas if not the best aesthetics. I still prefer cases that arent the normal layout but rather try something different wrt device locations etc.

Yeah bit-tech has good forums for modding but too much is oriented towards bling.

nannygoat

Post by nannygoat » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:50 pm

I've never seen anything so ridiculous. What's he going to do if the hosing leaks? I'm assuming if you actually had the guts to open such a case, you would instantly be covered, and probably suffocated by, metres worth of shiny shower cable.
What about the dust issue? Someone would have to stand next to it 24/7 with a (tastefully constructed out of shower hose and silver sprayed ostrich-down) feather duster, for fear of it looking "slightly dull".
Of course, it's probably sitting in a hermetically sealed clean-room next to the new TORACx-to-the-y12 expermental fusion reactor.
Much respect for the work effort though, but couldn't they have put the energy into curing a few major diseases?

Post by 1398342003 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:00 pm

Nanny, you need to relax on the dust issue. It's for G-gnome to sort out in his own time.

The bit-tech forums are also good for quick replies on electronics stuff, though in the last 3 months they have had an explosion of newbies, and a bunch of trolls. Their best work is bling, SPCR's is silencing.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:51 pm

I think it looks great as an art piece. It's not very functional as a computer though. Imagine needing to add / replace / upgrade a component in the case. Open the side panel and *SPROING* you'd be smothered in shiny chrome tubes :-)

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:56 am

Actually if you look at the project log, it's all standard components, just very well hidden. He made the project because he wanted all of the wires and cables inside to because the computer is a new functional version of Orac from Blakes 7 (old Brit Sci-Fi, Dr. Who production values), which was just a bunch of wires. I'm pretty impressed, I've been following the project from the beginning and while I'm not so keen on the result, too much bling for my taste, his skill is absolutely astounding. And it is a modding website so it's all about the bling.

What I'm most impressed with is the fact that he rewired the SATA cables, serial cables etc... (pretty much everything except for the ATA for the DVD drives) and has it all routed through junction boxes.