Lowest power consumption for DivX encoding

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:18 pm

Buy and core 2 and under volt it? Shouldn't price factor in as well? Will you save more buying mobile variants even though the desktop ones will have more power usage?

And a side note x264 > divX or AVC > ASP (for general cases).

Linus

Post by Linus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:13 pm

Given that AnandTech measured a 17.5% increase in DivX encoding speed from Core Duo (Yonah) to Core 2 Duo (Merom) and smilingcrow's link to PCStats indicates a 15%+ improvement in DivX encoding speed from 32-bit to 64-bit WinXP, a Core 2 Duo laptop running 64-bit WinXP should score at least 1500 ints/watt. That would be a ~7.5x increase from my current Athlon XP system. Crazy.

Honestly, price hasn't really factored in to this benchmark so far. I've seen Core 2 Duo laptops for ~$700, and I've spec'ed out desktop systems with mobile hardware for ~$400, although that doesn't include a screen, keyboard & mouse, etc. A Core 2 Duo (Conroe) system might be doable for less, but not much less, and the encoding wattage would surely rise noticeably.

Considering AVC (ie, x264) versus ASP (ie, DivX), note that Doom9's 2005 Codec Comparison reported AVC codecs being ~30% slower than DivX for a given file size. AVC-based codecs also require considerably more processing power to play back. Although AVC may produce a better picture at the same compression ratio, I really doubt it's worth the cost in encoding and playback power consumption.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:34 pm

I'm still baffled why this is "OffTopic" forum.

I have to check in here once in a while just to keep track of this very interesting thread!

The Merom is the target of my next system build. So Merom can do XP 64-bit . Hmmm, be interesting to see if those numbers do really add up to a big improvement.

However finding motherboards that are good is a bit of a problem for me. Everything is Micro-ATX? Okay I can live with that but some of the other things just seem weird like heatsink-mounting options and even the location! Why do they all put the CPU right up there next to the power supply?

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm

Linus wrote:Considering AVC (ie, x264) versus ASP (ie, DivX), note that Doom9's 2005 Codec Comparison reported AVC codecs being ~30% slower than DivX for a given file size. AVC-based codecs also require considerably more processing power to play back. Although AVC may produce a better picture at the same compression ratio, I really doubt it's worth the cost in encoding and playback power consumption.
However, if you do speed/PSNR or speed/SSIM H264 codecs always seem to win: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=105763

As for decoding, I'm not quite sure what the difference is if you use coreavc or libav with the new lavc.

HD space also costs money. I suppose it's a question of visual quality vs speed.

Linus

Post by Linus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm

More developments related to DivX encoding efficiency:

Fudzilla recently reported that Barcelona/Agena, AMD's upcoming quad-core processor families, score > 400,000 it/s in Sandra's multimedia integer test. Assuming they don't draw any more power than a QX6800, that's close to 2000 ints/watt - a new leader. A laptop based on this core would probably sacrifice some speed, but could probably increase overall efficiency by about a factor of two, so 4000 ints/watt may be on the horizon.

AnandTech reported that Penryn, Intel's next quad-core processor family, is about twice as fast as Kentsfield (Core 2 Extreme QX6800) at DivX encoding, clock for clock. The catch is they used an early alpha release of DivX 6.6 that includes SSE4 support. But once DivX 6.6 and Penryn are both available, desktops may near 3000 ints/watt and laptops could push on to 6000 ints/watt.

If these numbers are remotely correct, waiting for Barcelona/Agena is pointless when you can get a Penryn with SSE4 and really see speeds take off when DivX 6.6 is released.

puscifer

Post by puscifer » Fri May 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Just hope penryn really comes in june or july. The power states on that thing are crazy, a real must for 24/7 systems. I was about to get a 965 Infinity when the P35 asus boards start to appear. I'll probably get the new DS3 gigabyte.. that and the 256bits 8600! With zalman VFM100, that would be awesome.
(4 years without updating.. geez.. i need my fix badly.. at least i'll be prepared for HD.. and alot of games to catch up :)