Watching infomercials and...

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ONEshot

Watching infomercials and...

Post by ONEshot » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:27 pm

http://www.oreck.com/air-purifiers/air8.cfm?bclick=36

It claims to move a good amount of air, filters it, and is SILENT! I would just stick this badboy in my Tower case and call it ventilated. Check it out.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:00 pm

And it only costs $350.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:22 pm

Holy Schnouser, didn't see that part.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:37 pm

That's about right for quality air filters, though most have the magic acronym HEPA. Oreck scares me considering that few people have reviews on that cleaner (including, say the AHAM group

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:05 pm

HEPA stands for "High Efficiency Particulate Air Filter" and is a type of filter media. Like all media based filters, it requires periodic replacement / cleaning, usually at a fairly high cost. Also a media filter will need some sort of fan or blower to get the air through the media.

The Sharp, Oreck, and other related units with 'permanent' filters use some form of electrostatic cleaning as discussed elsewhere on the forums. The Sharp filter doesn't use a fan, instead it uses some sort of electrostatically induced air movement of questionable value. The Oreck unit uses a fan, which it says is "super quiet" but also "powerful" - seemingly a contradiction in terms. (Note that it doesn't mention dB ratings)

I don't know how it would work as a PC filter, presumably not bad, but I also felt my 'hype detector' going off to some degree. OTOH, the price isn't unreasonable if the thing works, especially considering the "free gifts" that come with it.

Gooserider

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue May 23, 2006 9:34 am

I'm visiting a friend who happens to have an Oreck XL air cleaner. This thing is seriously LOUD. On the "medium" fan speed, it is annoying in another room. The unit is louder than both of my PCs combined when set to "silent".

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 am

You're right about spotting hype...especially with the Sharper Image "air cleaner."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7391185/

If there wasn't already CU's lawsuit, it would make a great episode of Mythbusters.