Mobo hissing...I think

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rbattle

Mobo hissing...I think

Post by rbattle » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Ok, I finally registered now that I have searched and searched for info about this problem but to no avail:

I have a motherboard (I think it is the mobo) that hisses. It isn't a whine at all. It sounds like a hiss (sssssss). It gets much worse when running 3D graphics (which uses more electricity because it switches to 500mhz clock on my 6600GT XFX). It is a new chaintech nforce 4 ultra board.

Is there a way to stop the hissing? (I am assuming it is a capacitor or something hissing?) It actually sounds like it is a few caps.

Thanks for the help.

Rush

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: Mobo hissing...I think

Post by lenny » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:54 pm

rbattle wrote:I have a motherboard (I think it is the mobo) that hisses. It isn't a whine at all. It sounds like a hiss (sssssss). It gets much worse when running 3D graphics (which uses more electricity because it switches to 500mhz clock on my 6600GT XFX). It is a new chaintech nforce 4 ultra board.
Hi, rbattle. Welcome to SPCR Forums!

That's a new one...

Try this : roll up paper into a tube. Use it to try to isolate where the sound is coming from. Narrowing it down may help someone here figure out what it is and how to stop it.

The only hissing I hear from my computer is from the speakers - the crappy on-board audio seems to pick up noise from the video card. When I scroll a window, I can hear it.

j-azn

Post by j-azn » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:37 am

I could be your monitor.

I had the buzzing noise awhile back and i thought it was the motherboard. Whenever i load up 3D games, the buzzing gets worse and after a few checking, I found out it was my samsung lcd monitor that was casuing the buzzing. I turned up the brightness from 50 to 60 and the buzzing mysteriously disappeared. Don't know why but im satisfied :D

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:37 pm

I have an ASUS P4P800 and I noticed the same hiss. It starts when I switch on the small switch on the PSU, that is a Nexus 3000. Nothing else is running because the PC is still off.
Is very faint thought, so it does not bother me.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:44 pm

Mario wrote:I have an ASUS P4P800 and I noticed the same hiss. It starts when I switch on the small switch on the PSU, that is a Nexus 3000. Nothing else is running because the PC is still off.
That is usually caused by passive PFC circuitry.

As for the OP, it is the coils (inductors i think) that are hissing and not the capacitors. They should be situated right next to your power mosfets and capacitors.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:10 pm

Mario wrote:I have an ASUS P4P800 and I noticed the same hiss. It starts when I switch on the small switch on the PSU, that is a Nexus 3000. Nothing else is running because the PC is still off.
I could hear a buzzing in my Fortron - the original 120mm 300W from NewEgg. The strange thing is, I can hear the buzzing even when I turn off the power switch at the back of the PSU.

I mentioned this a long time ago in another thread but no one seemed fazed by it. I thought it was important because it meant the circuit is live even though the switch is off.

The LED on the motherboard goes out though.

And if I disconnect the cable the noise stops immediately.

Moral of the story - if you're going to open it up, unplug the mains cable.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:52 am

My Asus mobo does this also. I have posted about this in the past and was about to attack it. I went to buy some electricians glue to pour over the offending coils. Problem was, the chap that usually advises people on what to buy was off.

I'll post back after chatting to him and trying my method out.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:22 am

I have slightly similar symptom - I get electrical pulsing and faint multi-toned beeping noises directly from my Gigabyte motherboard when I'm running my PC as a P2P server (lots of part files opened with read/writes going all over HDD). During normal use this doesn't seem to happen (or isn't noticeable).

TBH, when the case is closed, you can't hear it - its only when you stick your ear about 6 inches from the motherboard. It definitely comes from the motherboard itself - perhaps mosfets, transitors etc? I have a APFC PSU as well.

Pilot

Post by Pilot » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:15 pm

Luminous, i'm waiting for your results for the very same problem, and i guess i'm not alone as there are many threads about it but very few come back with an "ok it works" answer.

Prahella

Post by Prahella » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:31 am

I've got also experience with hiss coming from the mobo. It only occurred when transferring LOTS of data through the network interface. My MSI K8N Neo2 FSR does this and a Dell GX150 I used to use at work, but my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe doesn't.

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:58 am

When I go to Quicktime 6 and resize the window, while I am dragging the window the motherboard makes a hissing noise. My modem continually makes a small hiss.

Can't do much about it. :?

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:28 am

My Epox 4PDA2V hisses louder as CPU load increases. It gets very loud when I overclock. Also one of the PCs at work makes the same noise - it's a Gigabyte 8IPE1000 or something similar.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:01 pm

I wish a mobo manufacturer would just decide to stop selling us rubbish. I'm sure that there is not a person here that would not pay 10% for their components if only they were made properly. The time it takes to sort these problems out is easily worth spending a little more.

Problem is that I do not know of a single company that makes stuff really well, and is prepared to take it back if things are not "just so".

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:15 pm

I've got an MSI nForce 2 mobo that hisses much like the OPs. I thought it was my hdd for the longest time, but it's not. Just moving a mouse around on dropdown menus and the like will make it go. High-pitched and very annoying. I have faint hopes that the new psu and gpu I'll soon be buying will change things around enough to help, but it doesn't seem very likely. Once it's in the new case I'm going to build with some acoustic absorbing built in we'll see how much sound gets through. If it's still annoying, I'll likely replace the board unless someone posts a solution.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:56 pm

I thought that my whine was HDD related. I thought this as when I pulled the power cords out of the HDDs when they were running (don't try that at home) the whine went. I changed the HDDs and the noise is still there.

I changed Gfx cards 9600 Pro > Gigabyte 6800 - again, it did not help.

I also changed cases and lined it with acoustic foam. The noise is no different.

I'm currently working on a potential solution, although the chances of success are not that high. I think like you, I will also be getting a new mobo.

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:41 pm

A little fiddling on my board suggests that the culprit is the little black cube in the extreme lower left of this picture:
I can't quite make out what it actually is.

I'm reasonably optimistic about my new case helping, since between the wood panels and the 1" compressed fiberglass there should be very significant noise absorption, particularly of high frequencies. I don't expect the hiss to become completely inaudible, however. Hopefully enough to ignore for a couple months.

Grayfox

Post by Grayfox » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:25 am

After a long process of silencing my PC all i thought was left was my HD so i bought the Smart Drive 2002 and like the way it silenced my Barracuda.Like most of you know once you silence one component another pops up so now im hearing a irregular noise that is not comming from my fans but im almost certain it is from my Gigabyte Nforce 3 MoBo.

This makes me mad because i dont want to replace my motherboard so i guess im going to have to install the vinyl and foam to at least not make it that bad.If it were not for this dam MoBo noise i would be set :(

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:42 am

Your little cube thing is an inductor coil, same as the wee donuts with the copper coloured wire round them.

Grayfox

Post by Grayfox » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Anyone reccomend a Nforce 3 MoBo that doesnt hiss or make any kind of electric current noise?

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:52 am

anthonysimilion wrote:When I go to Quicktime 6 and resize the window, while I am dragging the window the motherboard makes a hissing noise.
I have this exact same problem with an Asus P4R800V-Deluxe mobo.

I tried the paper tube method and it sounds as if its coming from the area between the CPU and I/O panel. It is pretty random when not doing anything graphically intensive, but when dragging a window the hissing is more pronounced.

Specs in my sig, with the new addition of a 9800 pro.

Is there any way to disable the onboard video completely on this mobo? As far as I can tell, the best I can do is share as little as 16meg of Ram with the video, but switching it off is not a BIOS option.

Ticks me off, as I thought it was the PSU (Enermax Noisetaker), and there's a new Antec Phantom in the mail to me now.

x1m

Post by x1m » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:58 am

Mine was hissing when moving the mouse and so forth. It happened after flashing my 9800 pro to an xt. After discovering artifacts in 3dmark, i whacked the fan up a few notches, and then the hissing stopped at the same time. I thought it was caused by the card overheating or something.

Edit: The hissing came out of the speakers, not from the actual motherboard, which is what I think some of you may be having.

sneaker

Re: Mobo hissing...I think

Post by sneaker » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:08 pm

rbattle wrote:I have a motherboard (I think it is the mobo) that hisses. It isn't a whine at all. It sounds like a hiss (sssssss).
My Gigabyte 7N400 (nForce2) does the same. It's not that loud, but can make itself heard when the intensity of the hissing varies with CPU load, which is annoying. The noise comes from the CPU area.

Enabling bus disconnect (e.g. with Vcool or Speedfan) will make it louder. So will plugging the antenna into my digital TV card.

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:30 pm

I'm happy to report that my new wood case attenuates my mobo hissing enough that I have no inclination to replace the mobo any time soon. :) Watch the front page for a full writeup on my project.