Best 19" CRT monitor for gaming

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:31 am

Except for maybe some of the Iiyama's, but those are really expensive/hard to find.

Henrik
Friend of SPCR

buzz from my monitor

Post by Henrik » Wed May 21, 2003 6:00 am

Hi there!

My PC is by no means quiet, and my monitor certainly isn't! Since english isn't my first language, I don't really know how to describe the sound it's making but I guess that, as some of you have said, a buzz might be a good description. Is it a correct assumption that this noise increases with age (my monitor is quite old), or is it just that I've become more sensitve to it? Is using that spray that some of you mentioned the only way (except bying a new one) to silence the monitor, or are there other ways? I have not tried the spray yet, but I might as well, as I said the monitor is quite old so, what the...

regards

Henrik

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:18 am

I haven't read this entire thread but it's one that I definitely should add to....

I have a VeiwSonic A90f and this thing is dead silent. I've had it for a year and a half, well before I even caught the silencing bug. If I put my ear right up next to it ---- nothing, not a sound. If I put my ear within an inch of the top, near the back where the vent holes are located (I literally mean that I have to practically make my ear flush with the vent holes on top) then there is the most faintest of a noise, but I have to concentrate really hard to distinguish it. Now that I'm into silencing I feel very lucky for having chosen this monitor.

And it is like this for 800 x 600, and also for 1024 x 768. Those are the only two resolutions I use. They are both silent at 75 and 85 Hz, the only two frequencies I use. During the actual change of resolutions there is a noise made, but after it is set there is none.

Picture quality is very good, perhaps enhanced by the non-glare flat tube (easy on the eyes for sure). Collects no dust whatsoever. I use it for both of my computers -- one a GF2 Ultra, the other a GF3 Ti200. Funny thing is that I almost took this thing back right after I bought it because the colors were washed out, but then I noticed the color calibration cd that came with it and all has been well since.

Keel

Post by Keel » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:42 am

bluehat wrote: You can also ask your monitor repairer to apply the plastic spray if you don't want to open the crt yourself.
Yeah if it's under warranty just take it in to an authorized repair shop...should have it fixed in a jiffy. might have to tip a little though?

i use a samsung 955df. sometimes it buzzes when there's a lot of white on the screen (weird huh?) but haven't noticed it for a while. i got this for $150 new two years ago so can't really complain about quality
however, i will be switching to an lcd soon b/c i don't think a 19" crt could be squeezed into a dorm room

frosty

Post by frosty » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:45 pm

Am I wrong or isn't the std old style monitors still superior to the modern flatscreens for gaming?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:55 pm

std CRT style monitors ARE still best for gaming. Anything that requires fast motion tends to be handled better by CRTs.