Has anyone tried the Nexus Anti-vibration kit?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kloppe

Has anyone tried the Nexus Anti-vibration kit?

Post by kloppe » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:28 pm

http://www.nexustek.nl/mountingkit.htm

The price is really steep for what you get (at least here in Sweden, ~20€), but the closed-side fan mounts look interesting. Plus you get 20 tie raps! :?

(I wasn't sure where to post this since it covers both hdd's and fans, my apologies if it ended up in the wrong forum.)

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:39 pm

The only thing interested to me personally are the HDD mounts (EAR), as they and those shoulder bolts can be a bit hard to find in europe. Especially in Finland where we don't have telephones or heating...

Other mounts in that box can be bought quite easily, if you need those longer fan mounts get Verax fan mounts... (Silencio :wink:)

But overall it is a nice packet. If you need little of everything for a new build, not a bad choice.

kloppe

Post by kloppe » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:58 pm

Hm. Those are >5€ shipped... maybe 20€ for the kit isn't such a bad price after all. :/

Ya, the EAR mounts are hard to find even here on the civilised side of the Baltic Sea. I just wish Nexus would sell all the components seperately (well maybe not the Nexus(R)-branded tie raps). I don't want to pay for some rubber feet I'll probably never use, and I really don't want to buy an entirely new kit to get some more EAR mounts or whatever.
Oh well.

winguy

Post by winguy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:31 am

winguy

Post by winguy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:19 pm

These can fit a fan guard too right (outer groove)?

Are there other such mounts?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:04 am

Have it, hated it.

1. Ear grommets are vastly inferior to the ones in the P180, but if you don't have any on your side of the pond, it's a source.
2. Zipties - they're zip ties. 'Nuff said.
3. Open flanged mounts - Pain to install. Difficult to pull through the holes. They work, but about equal to EAR mounts in difficulty in using
4. Closed flange mounts - Hated them. MUCH more difficult to install than Verax Sticks. I broke two while trying to pull them through holes. If you don't have access to Verax sticks, they're okay... Just not my preference
5. Soft feet - Again, inferior to the P180 feet, so I didn't use them.

If you're funds are limited or you don't have access to certain brands, the kit can be okay... But if I had to do it all over again I would just buy some Verax sticks and give up the extras of the Nexus kit.

doudou

Post by doudou » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:27 am

Hi Guys,
Let me please jump in your thread. Does anyone where to get E-A-R grommets or anything equivalent in Europe ?
Cheers,

Phil7C

Post by Phil7C » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:05 am

winguy wrote:These can fit a fan guard too right (outer groove)?
Are there other such mounts?
FYI I've just bought some of these black rubber screw things from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... =&doy=16m4) for GBP4.99 for 8 sticks (so enough for 2 fans if you don't break any). Apparently made by a company called "Amacrox"

However, they seem a tight fit - do I need to re-bore the screw holes on my 120mm Nexus or does anyone have a better idea?

kadiir

Post by kadiir » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:20 pm

Phil7C wrote:However, they seem a tight fit - do I need to re-bore the screw holes on my 120mm Nexus or does anyone have a better idea?
How tight? If you look at the pic you quoted, it shows the part sticking out the back is quite skinny w/ a larger tip (and still plenty of room through the hole). Comparing the tip to the end on the front side of the fan, you can see that it's roughly 1/2 the size. Can you post a pic or some measurements?

kad

Rasbelin

Post by Rasbelin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:17 am

Shadowknight wrote: 5. Soft feet - Again, inferior to the P180 feet, so I didn't use them.
What are these P180 feet (mainly asking for manufacturer) and where can I buy ones? Because I'm looking for rubber feet for my case, so was almost about to buy the Nexus kit, but if there's something better, I sure want that instead. :)

Rasbelin

Post by Rasbelin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:23 pm

Stupid me. Antec P180. :lol: Well, looks like I need to buy some other stuff then.

Phil7C

Post by Phil7C » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:43 pm

kadiir wrote:
Phil7C wrote:However, they seem a tight fit...
How tight?
http://www.amacrox.com/04english/p-Rubber.htm
I can't persuade them to fit at all - the trianglular rubber 'barbs' (for want of a better word) are designed to compress so that they can be pushed forwards through the fan screw hole, but then can't be pulled back out. However, they seem too big to fit through the hole going forwards...

kadiir

Post by kadiir » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:06 pm

Those look exactly like the ones in the Nexus kit to me. If they are (at least in dimensions), it should work. However, you have to pull them through, not push. They stretch to the point where you'll think they're going to break (apparently some ppl do break them) and then it will start to slide through.

edit: yes, the triangle parts are "too big" however if you look closely at them there's a notch that allows the triangle to collapse enough to squeeze through.

FYI, if you wanted to back them out, you would press the notch closed and pull it out (well, in theory - I haven't tried to remove one from a fan, just had to fix poor fan alignment).

My method: grab w/ thumb & index finger on right hand and then pull until I can fit the thumb/index finger of my left hand in the space created by pulling. Then the right hand again, left hand again, etc. It took me, I don't know, maybe 4 or 5 hand switches before it would start to move and then a few more to get it all the way through for most of them. The last couple went faster as I figured out the pressure needed.

kad

Phil7C

Post by Phil7C » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:18 am

kadiir wrote:They stretch to the point where you'll think they're going to break (apparently some ppl do break them) and then it will start to slide through.
Hhhmmmm, I'll give it a go, but mine look like they prefer the breaking option to the sliding through option! I stopped pulling when they started stretching - do they go back to shape or not?

EDIT: btw, I'm pretty sure that these are exactly the same rubber sticks as supplied by Nexus. (a) They look the same. (b) The Nexus ones clearly aren't Nexus designed/made as they're designed for an open corner fan...

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:46 am

The Nexus kit has two types of fan mounts. The long ones for closed flange fans, and the short ones for open flange fans.

Both are a pain to install.

The open flange are fairly stretchy, so when ther seem like they're going to break, they'll attach the fan or fit into the mounting hole just fine. On occasion one WILL break, so keep that in mind.

kadiir

Post by kadiir » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:43 am

Yeah, they do have to stretch a bit before they'll move.

Hmm, come to think of it, I bet if you lubed it up (with, say, some cable lubricant used for pulling cable) it would be easier. Shoot, and I've got a big bottle of it, too! I didn't even think of it 'til now.

kad

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:46 am

Kadiir. That. That is so WRONG.... :D

kadiir

Post by kadiir » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:06 am

:lol: Heh, I know - as I was writing it I couldn't stop laughing :P

I finally gave up on a way to say it where even I couldn't make some, uh, off-topic reference.

Phil7C

Post by Phil7C » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:22 pm

Success! Just pulled a bit harder and tried not to worry that I was stretching them out of shape.

Nice silent pc, Phil happy :D

BoB-O

Post by BoB-O » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:28 pm

Do any of the usual suspects (newegg, zzf, monarch, etc) carry the long iso-mounts?

Thanks,
BoB

euimin

first post!

Post by euimin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:38 am

how about the HDD dampers? have they worked for any of you? isnt it difficult to push the "blue rubbers" through the case mounting holes?