Floating Magnetic Bearing

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

doudou

Floating Magnetic Bearing

Post by doudou » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:33 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to point out that a new kind of fan is appearing these days. They use what's called floating magnetic bearings and are supposed to:
- last longer
- make less noise.
Globefan, Ennermax, Sunon at least have one of them in their product lines.
As usual, I can't wait to see one of these tested according to SPCR standards !
links:http://www.globefan.com/new_product.htm
http://www.enermax.com.tw/english/image ... 12AEBS.pdf
http://www.sunon.com.tw/products/pdf/2004maglev.pdf

My two cents,

bobo5195

Post by bobo5195 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:27 am

A magnetic bearing isnt as stiff as a normal connector so will allow the fan to rattle more in its casing. This means more turbulence noise and a less efficent fan.

I alwasy thought 80% fan noise was turbulence anyway

doudou

Post by doudou » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:14 am

Eeh, sorry I don't really get your point here. Why would that induce more turbulence noise (btw what's that ? wind noise ? Isn't that proportional to airflow only ?) ? I would have understood if you'd said "vibration noise", but here I'm stuck.
Don't get me wrong, I don't claim you're talking crap, I simply don't see what you meant.

bobo5195

Post by bobo5195 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:12 am

Turbulence noise (yes it could also be called wind noise) is actual a complicated function of airflow (my guess is a thrid or 4th order polynomial).

As the fan wiggles up and down the flow over it is disturbed causing increased turbulence. Becuase of this tip leakage (Air traveling through the fan, shroud gap) is increased as well, lowering performance as work done on the air is lost.

I would think the primary reason that fan companies want magnetic bearings is reliability, no mechanical contact means that they never wear out.

doudou

Post by doudou » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:25 am

Ok, thanks !
But are you sure that in the special context of SPCR, where fans are run at very low air flows, turbulence is still the main source of noise. I remember many reviews where the author stated something like "when voltage drops below X volts, wind noise disappear and motor hum becomes clearly audible."
My feeling (hope) is that at low speeds this kind of fan will be more silent because there shouldn't be any motor induced noise.
:?:

wainwra
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by wainwra » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:41 am

bobo5195 wrote:Turbulence noise (yes it could also be called wind noise) is actual a complicated function of airflow (my guess is a thrid or 4th order polynomial).
Nothing even remotely so simple, I'm afraid! For those interested (I have a forlorn hope that there might be SOMEONE), there's a rather good short introduction to the problem here.

There are also some graphic examples of just how far away turbulence is from being a polynomial function (of anything) here and a Scientific American article on turbulence here.

bobo5195

Post by bobo5195 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:30 am

One of my lecturers helped invent turbulent modeling in CFD. you can actually solve the problem directly using computers but for all but the simplest problems you wont get an answer before you die.

I was talking about dominate effects in an engineering context. While you know nothing about the turbulent movement you can say how much there is and work out an model for what its doing on average.

You can approximate turbulence if you make some assumptions (like in CFD) down to a singular simple function probably a function a velocity cubed (kinetic energy: v^2 * fluid velocity: v)

Even in very low airflows turbulence still exists admittedly it does not dominate. A magnetic bearing fan is likely to have wind noise for longer and even then removing the last bit of bearing noise is often not required.