Fanless PII and noisy hdd

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thatswedeguy

Fanless PII and noisy hdd

Post by thatswedeguy » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:37 pm

I have a PII (400) with the standard black aluminium heat sink and a small lite poisonousfan. The power supply and the two hdd's are all rather nosiy, particular one of the disk.

I think I'll change the old fan in the power supply to a new shiny Papst 80mm. Perhaps it's a god idea to let it run on 7 volts or so. The disks I don't know what to do with but I'll think a press them into a silent drive box or something (one each of course :D ).

But now to my question...
Can I run the PII fanless with a nice heat sink on? like zalman

Any help would be appriciated!

loply

Post by loply » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:19 pm

How are you going to fit a Zalman heatsink onto a slot-CPU? Do they make a slot-CPU cooler?

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:41 pm

I know I have a PII-400 that's been running for the last three years with no fan - through gaming, SETI, and workstation use. Currently it's in a server of mine. At load, the heat sink is fairly warm, although not hot.

It does have a very substantial, high quality heat sink on it that came stock - but for the most part I haven't had any thermal issues with it since I bought it. Currently it's running in a case with only one fan (in the seasonic PS) and a Seagate HD - and I've left it on for days at at time, at load, in this configuration. Almost inaudible.

I think if you invest in a good HS, perhaps some thermal grease, it'll run just fine on a passive heatsink.

Tore

Post by Tore » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:19 pm

I use a PII 300 MHz (I got a Compaq 5030 for free, so I made it almost silent and use it until I can afford something better). The PSU is positioned directly over the huge CPU heatsink, so I made the hole there bigger and closed the other holes in the PSU (except the exhaust of course :D) I then put in a PAPST (the one they call 12dbA) and moved the thermistor away from the heat sink in the PSU. That is the only fan in the computer, and the very slow air flow is enough. There are some small holes close to the top as well, which let out some heat.

I would recommend changing the hard drives. I use a Fujitsu 40 GB silent drive (with liquid bearing or whatever it's called) inside a SmartDrive aluminium box. I can't hear much sounds from the PC, but I can hear the harddrive when it's doing something. I think a Barracuda IV or V would be more quiet, even though the Fujitsu is 5400 RPM.

Alicey

Post by Alicey » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:29 pm

I've got a P2-450 that was taken from an old HP server, it just has a huge aluminium heatsink. It doesn't even look particularily well-designed, the fins are really huge and there's big gaps between them, but it runs 100% stable. The only airflow in my case is from one fan in my PSU.
Last edited by Alicey on Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexHu
Friend of SPCR

Re: Fanless PII and noisy hdd

Post by AlexHu » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:33 am

thatswedeguy wrote:I think I'll change the old fan in the power supply to a new shiny Papst 80mm.
I had a $20 Papst at 7V but got the same clicking sound as other experienced. I currently have a Panaflo L1A at 7V on my PSU and it is quiet enough.

Check out the Hot Deals forum since you can find a Panaflo L1A at $3.19. However, if you really want a Papst, I could sell you mine for $10 + shipping.
thatswedeguy wrote:Can I run the PII fanless with a nice heat sink on?
I have my slot-1 PII 450 running fanless with just the stock heatsink and it has been running for a year now 24/7. You can turn off your fan and try to feel the heatsink. If it don't burn your finger, you are probably fine running fanless.
thatswedeguy wrote:two hdd's are all rather nosiy, particular one of the disk.
Mine was noisy too. I finally went for a 80GB Seagate Barracuda IV and it dramatically reduce the noise especially with it on soft foam at the bottom of the case.

Since you have a noisy harddisk, you will not notice the difference between a 7V Papst and a 7V Panaflo L1A.