HELP: I can't get rid off coil noise {buzz}!!!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DG

HELP: I can't get rid off coil noise {buzz}!!!

Post by DG » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:49 am

It seems my pc is doomed or something. :x The problem is everytime i play a video game (and only that time) my pc buzzes or squeals. The sound varies in intensity, depending the game and what's rendering on the screen. My current config: 2800+ Sempron, DFI 250GB LanParty NF3 754 mobo, 6800 128mb AGP Gigabyte VGA and Seasonic S12 430W psu, Samsung P80 hdd

Facts i know for sure:
1. The sound comes from the vga\upper mobo (around the cpu) area, but NOT from the PSU (i have the Silverstone TJ06 case with inverted mobo and it easy to tell that the buzz is not from the psu). Also it is NOT coming from the HDD or fans (i've double checked this).
2. It is only produced when i play a video game or some VGA intensive program (like 3dmark). When i run Prime95 for CPU or idle, it doesn't make any noise.

It is very important for you to know that i have this problem for a long time and i swaped many components over time, like: 2 mobos (Epox 8rda and Abit nf7, both on NF2 sckA) and one PSU (Seasonic Super Tornado 400w). The only component that remained the hole time in my pc, is the video card (Gigabyte 6800 pasive cooling).
My question is: Can this video card produce the buzzing sound? Can a 6800 make buzzing sounds? Or can it influence the coils on the mobo (any mobo)?

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:19 am

why not swap it out and check for yourself?

is it the 6600gt gigabyte? they have been reported to run very hot, over 100c even with active cooling.

while i have never personally heard of a video card making this noise. it is possible. ive heard of PSU's and motherboards doing this same thing. but since you've already ruled them out by swapping them with other products, it isnt them.

DG

Post by DG » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:36 am

Aris wrote:why not swap it out and check for yourself?
Because this means to buy another card, and i don't have the money right now. None of my friends have a 6800 or 6800GT card...
Aris wrote: is it the 6600gt gigabyte? they have been reported to run very hot, over 100c even with active cooling.
No, as i said, it's a Gigabyte 6800 AGP with pasive cooling. It's not very hot, only about 50-60 C...
Aris wrote:while i have never personally heard of a video card making this noise. it is possible. ive heard of PSU's and motherboards doing this same thing. but since you've already ruled them out by swapping them with other products, it isnt them.
I didn't ruled out the motherboard complety, because it could buzz because of the video card. So with another video card, it is posible not to make any noise at all....I think... :roll:

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:45 pm

My motherboard emits a high frequency noise, but only at idle. Go figure. I've tried both a 9600pro and xfx 6800 and the noise is still there, so I know it's not my video cards. I know it's not the PSU, and I know it's not the HDD.

I'm pretty sure that these instances of noise, at least in my case, originate from the mobo.

omaticrail

Post by omaticrail » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:15 pm

Yes, I'm almost certain it is your 6800. I recently experienced the same thing with my Leadtek A400TDH (6800nu/128), and it gets worse as you turn up the clock frequency. Based on that limited data, I suspect you might be able to quiet the thing down by underclocking it. :shock: But.......you wouldn't really do THAT, would you? :wink: Mine actually got bad enough that I chose to give up those last couple FPS to get rid of the squealing.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there's a solution to the problem.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:35 pm

Any fan control programs for that card ? With mine, I can use ATI Tools to lock the fan speed or ramp it depending on the cards temperature. Since yours only buzzes while gaming, it could be a specific rpm. Worth a look-see.

I've heard of motherboard electrical components doing that to though.

ddd

DG

Post by DG » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:55 am

dddibley wrote:Any fan control programs for that card ? With mine, I can use ATI Tools to lock the fan speed or ramp it depending on the cards temperature. Since yours only buzzes while gaming, it could be a specific rpm. Worth a look-see.

I've heard of motherboard electrical components doing that to though.

ddd
Mine is passive, so no fans...

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:49 am

Sorry.. wasn't paying attention. Twice.

Same case? Resonance. Loose standoff or hardware points.

ddd

DG

Post by DG » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:51 am

No, different case.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:17 pm

Hi DG,

sorry to hear about your problem, if it's coil whine it's a pain in the butt.

If it is coil whine, it can be just the PSU, just the motherboard or a combination of either with a certain HDD manufacturer/model etc.

Try going through coils on your motherboard / graphics card, try to squeeze the coil winding tightly to the coil ring. See if you can isolate it to a certain coil and if the squeezing helps. Search for coil whine on the SPCR forums, there's a few threads here that have tips for pin pointing and quieting coil whine.

HTH.

Sammer

Post by Sammer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:32 am

I have the same problem.

Am using an i865GBF mobo with a Prescott 2.8Ghz HT with a Leadtek 6800LE.

I narrowed down the buzzing / screeching noise to the card by swapping components in and out of the motherboard. I have integrated graphics, and the noise was not present when the the gfx card was not connected.

It screeches in game loading scenes and in MSIE when I'm using the scroll wheel on the mouse (funny eh).

So far the card has performed without a hitch so I don't think it means the system is doomed, it is annoying though, wonder if anyone knows whats causing it and how to fix it?

-Sammer

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:49 pm

As per above, seems hard to get rid of, usually a "bad" combination of hardware will make PSU or MB to buzz (I searched SPCR and Goooooogle a lot). Have the same prob on and off (MSIE scroll), my preliminary conclusion is when PSU runs hot it will buzz. Have not yet tried damping coils with silicone or such, might if the buzz stays constant.

/ datapappan

DG

Post by DG » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:08 pm

Sammer wrote:
I narrowed down the buzzing / screeching noise to the card by swapping components in and out of the motherboard. I have integrated graphics, and the noise was not present when the the gfx card was not connected.
Seems you have the same problem as i. Did you tried swapping the video card with another one (besides the onboard one)?

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:33 pm

How about under/overvolting the AGP in the BIOS.. if it's supported.

ddd

Sammer

Post by Sammer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:56 pm

Yep I have used this computer with a Geforce 2 MX, Geforce 440 MX, Geforce Ti4600 and a Geforce Ti4200 VIVO and only the 6800 LE buzzes.

Its not a power supply issue either as I've used 3 different power supplies (350w nobrand, 450w Silverstone & 350w BeQuiet) and on all 3 power supplies only the 6800 LE buzzes.

Its a problem limited to the video card, I have also reflashed the 6800 LE BIOS to allow me to change the graphics fan speed on the fly, it buzzes at different RPMs, and even when there is no fan attached (used a 80mm fan powered using molex for cooling at that time).

AGP voltage can't be changed in BIOS due to the motherboard I'm using (Intel).

-Sammer

DG

Post by DG » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:11 am

UPDATE: i've replaced my video card with a friend's 6600GT card and the buzz is gone. Don't know what to think, was the buzz gone because the 6600gt consumes less power then the 6800?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:53 pm

That can't be the reason, the 6800 has a lower power consumption than the 6600GT.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:23 pm

That can't be the reason, the 6800 has a lower power consumption than the 6600GT.
Well, the video card must have been the culprit, because the coil buzz was there when it was there, and is now gone with a different video card installed. Whether it was the difference in power consumption, that particular video card or what we will never know; coil buzz is a completely unpredictable phenomenon, only affecting certain combinations of components in certain setups with certain motherboards. There doesn't seem to be any pattern or replicability to it.

DG

Post by DG » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:59 pm

Today i've tried a Leadtek 6800 GT and it buzzes just like before. :? :cry:

wojtec

Post by wojtec » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:16 pm

jaganath wrote:
Well, the video card must have been the culprit, because the coil buzz was there when it was there, and is now gone with a different video card installed. Whether it was the difference in power consumption, that particular video card or what we will never know; coil buzz is a completely unpredictable phenomenon, only affecting certain combinations of components in certain setups with certain motherboards. There doesn't seem to be any pattern or replicability to it.

The most likely thing is a coil on the 5 volt bus thats not damped with silicone rubber,wax or whatever.
an empty paper towel tube next to your ear can narrow it down,then press lightly on it to see if it changes.
clear automotive silicone rubber applied to all surfaces should shut it up.