Linksys Thumbs Down, D-Link thumbs Up

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Linksys Thumbs Down, D-Link thumbs Up

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:08 pm

Well, I figured out after 4-5 wonderfully working and efficient Linksys firewall routers since the later 1990's... that they DO hiss and that D-link's do not. I might have bought the only ones that do, or my dlink might be an odd exception, but it is controlling two computers on 24/7 and never makes a peep.

the hiss would bounce off my wooden floors and off the back wall behind the compy, smack me right in the ears when I would lay down. I would plop a folded towel on top of it, that worked, I removed the towel a week later to find the sucker really hot.

Dlink. it might suck but it doesnt whine.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 pm

I have not tried Linksys, but my one D-Link router (DI-524) emits a constant, very-high-pitched noise that is faint but audible within close range (probably several inches) when ambient noise is low. Setup for the D-Link was a bit cumbersome, and I'd like to try Linksys next time around.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:47 pm

lol well maybe it is just a fluke unit I have!

It trully is next to silent. I mean, I have dog level hearing/perception and can hear just about anything make noise or resonate. But, at that even it is a lot more quiet (if not silent) than the old linksys' were. Linksys are awesome computing wise.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:06 am

the mains adapter for my linksys wrt54g intermittently buzzes, but that's okay because it's not in my computing room or bedroom. The unit itself is silent.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:49 am

Not sure what all the buzz is about. We have 2 setups using the D-Link DI-524 (Revision A2) and haven't heard a peep out of either one ?

USB wireless was a little funky on one but the replacement transceiver works fine.

ddd

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 am

i personally prefer linksys. if i got one that made noises i'd just return it until i got one that doesnt.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:56 pm

Aris wrote:i personally prefer linksys. if i got one that made noises i'd just return it until i got one that doesnt.
as I have said I bought around 5 of them. My friend has bought more than that and all have.

I don't think that would be responsible to keep on returning them for a slight hiss. It never claimed not to hiss and it is quieter than any non spcr system anyways.

So, yeah, D-link's either do not hiss, or only a rare one does.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:44 pm

The only routers I use now are Netgear, as they are dead easy to set up and work well.

I have experienced a few other makes, including a D-Link wired ADSL router that mad a horrible ultra hihg pitch noise when powered (not the mains adaptor).

I would hazard a guess that the Db was about 50-60.

It got returned as the noise would penetrate everything except a 9 inch thick wall.

I dont have anything against D-Link, as I have used many of their products before and like them.

Andy

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:40 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:
Aris wrote:i personally prefer linksys. if i got one that made noises i'd just return it until i got one that doesnt.
as I have said I bought around 5 of them. My friend has bought more than that and all have.

I don't think that would be responsible to keep on returning them for a slight hiss. It never claimed not to hiss and it is quieter than any non spcr system anyways.

So, yeah, D-link's either do not hiss, or only a rare one does.
I guess it's a SPCR badge of honour, the fact that our systems are so quiet that we notice the modem.. Average Joe will never hear his modem squeeling over the noise of the P4 stock cooler.

I've got a Linksys, and, yep, it whines like a mosquito. Fortunately it is of such a high frequency (hence directional), that putting it under a shelf with adequate air flow and with carpet underneath, renders it inaudible.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:35 am

Can't say I've noticed any network gear making an annoying noise, but then I don't tend to have it lying around beside me. My experinces with Linksys are 2 fold - an old router whose PSU died and cost alomst as much as a new router to replace, and the WLAN card in my desktop which works well but does like to use the CPU, too much for my liking, but he's staying put for now...

I have had many D-Link products, and last year was on a roll with their WLAN stuff. However I decided to switch to 5GHz due to interfence and D-link came unstuck since I live in the EU - thier EU spec 802.11a APs cannot bridge. So I've had enough of D-link (I've had previous products crap out on me from them). Netgear will probably be my gigabit switch maker, although I like 3Com when I can afford it!

Perhaps it's because I've got my PCs quieter now, that I'm hearing some whine from my monitors (I mean the TFT's not my Absolute 2's!)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 pm

do LCD's make noise? I have a sweet CRT that really makes almost no noise. It makes a teeny tiny amount, but a fan at 5volts such as a papst makes 2x as much noise as it, so I dont think it is noticable.