check out my heatsinks

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andaca

check out my heatsinks

Post by andaca » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:09 pm

A

B

C -is in development-

input? think you could do better? show me.

for the people interested... Im taking pre-orders 8)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:22 pm

What're the weight and weight distribution on that thing? :shock:

Also, be pretty expensive to drill the holes for individual makes and models of boards, but this one's about the power anyway.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:44 pm

"superconductive" heatpipes? AKAIK only superfluids superconduct heat and you need cryogenic temps for that.

andaca

Post by andaca » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:19 pm

jaganath wrote:"superconductive" heatpipes? AKAIK only superfluids superconduct heat and you need cryogenic temps for that.

Patent no. 6,132,823

Superconducting Heat Transfer Medium

http://patft.uspto.gov/

Inorganic Medium Thermal Conductive Device. This heat conducting device greatly improved the heat conductive abilities of materials over their conventional state. Experimentation has shown this device capable of transferring heat along a sealed metal shell having a partial vacuum therein at a rate of 5,000 meters per second.

On the internal wall of the shell is a coating applied in three steps having a total optimum thickness of 0.012 to 0.013 millimeters. Of the total weight of the coating, strontium comprises 1.25%, beryllium comprises 1.38%, and sodium comprises 1.95%....

The fact that a conventional heat pipe shares a similar outside shape to a thermal superconductive heat pipe used to raise some misunderstandings. Therefore, it is necessary to give a brief description on the differences and similarities of the two. A convectional heat pipe makes use of the technique of liquids vaporizing upon absorbing great amounts of heat and vapors cooling upon emitting heat so as to bring the heat from the pipe's hot end to its cold end. The axial heat conducting velocity of the heat pipe depends on the value of the liquid's vaporization potent heat and the circulation speed between two forms of liquid and vapor. The axial heat conducting velocity of the heat pipe also is restrained by the type and quantity of the carrier material and the temperatures and pressures at which the heat pipe operates (it can not be too high).

The present superconductive heat transfer device is made of a thermal superconductive medium whose axial heat conduction is accomplished by the thermal superconductive mediums' molecules high speed movement upon being heated and activated. The present superconductive heat transfer device's heat conducting velocity is much higher than that of any metal bars or any convectional heat pipes of similar size, while its internal pressure is much lower than that of any convectional heat pipe of the same temperature."

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Well, well - if it isn't our old friends TTIC and the NPH heat columns again. Works pretty good if they make the copper heat column thick enough so the entire HS weighs 1058grams! :wink:

Uh, where in the patent writeup does it say the copper column needs to be thick for proper operation? :D

JMKE is reviewing this again in his next roundup, according to his recent posting.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:55 pm

One question andaca: Can anyone afford this?

Derek

andaca

Post by andaca » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:08 pm

it all depends on the size of the case / motherboard

B option is cheaper than zalman / thermalright solutions

just thin aluminum + 3 heatpipes / retention mechanism

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Hello,

Why would these be necessary for the north and south bridge chips? What about the heat transfer to the exterior heatsink? And what about the video chip? :?:

Howard

Post by Howard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:46 pm

Looks like something a fool would buy. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy something like that because it would be practically impossible to install. Maybe if you split up the radiator into 3 parts... Not only that, you'd need to design a different model for every motherboard.

andaca

Post by andaca » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Howard wrote:Looks like something a fool would buy. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy something like that because it would be practically impossible to install. Maybe if you split up the radiator into 3 parts... Not only that, you'd need to design a different model for every motherboard.
i imagine you must really love this case

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12611

i would love 2 see your design.

andaca

Post by andaca » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:34 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

Why would these be necessary for the north and south bridge chips? What about the heat transfer to the exterior heatsink? And what about the video chip? :?:

Why would these be necessary for the north and south bridge chip

What about the heat transfer to the exterior heatsink?

what about it?

And what about the video chip?

passive?

andaca

Post by andaca » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:46 pm

andaca wrote:
Howard wrote:Looks like something a fool would buy. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy something like that because it would be practically impossible to install. Maybe if you split up the radiator into 3 parts... Not only that, you'd need to design a different model for every motherboard.

not really. the b option.

1) put the alu / fin side panel on the floor (pipes looking up)

2) put the ram / cpu / gpu on the mobo / thermal material

3) turn around the mobo and put it on top of the side panel

4) each heatpipe has it retention pins, just make sure they fit

5) screw each backplate

6) presto, put it inside your case.

how do you screw your mobo to the case? not my problem. removable backplate ?

:lol:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks for not answering my questions.

Also, I knew I'd seen this before, in Noiseblocker Coolscrapers, page for their v.2 here.
Also, image:

And "option B", cheaper than Zalman or Thermalright solutions? Which solutions, exactly, would these be? And option B would still need to match the side panel holes with the locations of the components on a given board, which vary from board to board.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:53 am

andaca wrote:Inorganic Medium Thermal Conductive Device. This heat conducting device greatly improved the heat conductive abilities of materials over their conventional state. Experimentation has shown this device capable of transferring heat along a sealed metal shell having a partial vacuum therein at a rate of 5,000 meters per second...
The speed the heat travels is irrelevant. You can see that this is so because radiation transfers heat away at the speed of light, and yet it is not very effective at cooling computers. It's the thermal resistance which is important - the difference in temperature between the hot and cold ends necessary to cause 1W to be transferred.

andaca wrote:

[image of "rollercoaster" motherboard cooling]
Those heatsinks are mostly for show, like the ridiculous heatspreaders on expensive RAM. Some chipsets can generate a fair bit of heat, but it's not that hard to cool.

andaca

Post by andaca » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:12 pm

mmm, this place is full of criticisms but no ideas... :lol:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:19 pm

You asked for input, you got it. People don't seem to think it's a good idea.

All the good ideas are already out in production too, so you'll need more R&D than this forum.

andaca

Post by andaca » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:some people don't seem to think

fixed.

this is not the only place i post. general response was mostly positive
except here.

and i say SHOW ME. SO FAR NO IDEAS- GOOD OR BAD - ONLY TEARS

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:09 pm

andaca wrote: this is not the only place i post. general response was mostly positive
except here.

Are you just expecting everyone to praise your ingenuity blindly? If you want positive responses, build one of these things and impress us with how cool you can keep a computer without fans. Until then it's just a bunch of pretty pictures and technobabble. On the other hand, if you'd rather just surround yourself with yes-men, then go and post on those other sites.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:47 pm

andaca
Your statements make me think that you have never tried to assemble the above systems yourself. Try it and post back when you have fried the CPU :twisted::wink:.

Seriously, passive CPU cooling is just the first (and easiest) step on the way to a 0dBA system, you still need to think about silencing the hard drive(s) and designing a custom case with relocated vent holes. Without that there's not much sence in what you've done.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:28 am

andaca wrote:

what about it?

passive?
The heat output of the northbridge and especially the southbridge are tiny compared to the CPU. They do not need to use these fancy heatpipes -- the stock passive coolers are fine!

All the heat from the CPU has to be transfered from the top of the heatpipe to the side of the case -- this is a second critical contact point that will be hard to manage correctly. When mounting the side panel, one must have thermal paste on the end of the heatpipe, and the case must make just enough pressure on the heatpipe to faciliate good heat transfer.

If one were to take a thermal image of the side of the case, how spread out would the heat be? This system would seem to offer far less effective cooling than just about any tower HS -- or even the stock heatsink used passively... :?

This system seems fussy and difficult -- and unnecessary.

The video card can sometimes put out more heat than the CPU. :roll:

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:49 am

strontium comprises 1.25%, beryllium comprises 1.38%
So that would be Strontium and Beryllium then?
Jeez, I hope no-one gets annoyed when they cant fit their heatsink from outside the case, and then starts choppng it up into little bits...
Seems like it would be a bit fatal. :roll:

floffe

Post by floffe » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:36 pm

If you'd read your first link, you'd see that strontium occurs naturally in 4 non-radioactive isotopes. It's one of these that it makes sense to use, since the radioactive ones wouldn't be strontium after a while... As for beryllium, it's not a very nice substance but if you're gonna start counting carcenogenic substances in electronics you'll have a lot of work to do.

andaca

Post by andaca » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:33 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:
andaca wrote:

what about it?

passive?
The heat output of the northbridge and especially the southbridge are tiny compared to the CPU. They do not need to use these fancy heatpipes -- the stock passive coolers are fine!

All the heat from the CPU has to be transfered from the top of the heatpipe to the side of the case -- this is a second critical contact point that will be hard to manage correctly. When mounting the side panel, one must have thermal paste on the end of the heatpipe, and the case must make just enough pressure on the heatpipe to faciliate good heat transfer.

If one were to take a thermal image of the side of the case, how spread out would the heat be? This system would seem to offer far less effective cooling than just about any tower HS -- or even the stock heatsink used passively... :?

This system seems fussy and difficult -- and unnecessary.

The video card can sometimes put out more heat than the CPU. :roll:

A OR B ?

IMHO B IS DOABLE.

AGAIN. IF THIS IS POSSIBLE. MINE IS POSSIBLE. AND BETTER.
Last edited by andaca on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andaca

Post by andaca » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:36 pm

see what i mean? my solution is the logical next step.

and you could always add an extra heatpipe 4 the gpu

andaca

Post by andaca » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:48 pm

Mr Evil wrote:
andaca wrote: this is not the only place i post. general response was mostly positive
except here.

Are you just expecting everyone to praise your ingenuity blindly? If you want positive responses, build one of these things and impress us with how cool you can keep a computer without fans. Until then it's just a bunch of pretty pictures and technobabble. On the other hand, if you'd rather just surround yourself with yes-men, then go and post on those other sites.

PRAISE? I DONT WANT IT / DESERVE IT.
I JUST WANTED TO SEE SOME CREATIVE INPUT/ IDEAS/ RADICAL
STUFF. I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A FUNNY THREAD, BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG. I CHOOSE TO SHARE MY IDEAS HERE BECAUSE I KNOW THERE IS A LOT OF TALENT IN THIS PLACE. IF YOU FEEL MY SOLUTION IS SHIT ITS ALL GOOD.
:wink:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:58 pm

andaca wrote:fixed.
All that "lol fix'd" business is just rude. I've seen it on 4chan's /b/ more than any decent forum, and in /b/ it /b/elongs.

It's not only your heatsinks, but your behaviour that's dubious. Ta.

floffe

Post by floffe » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:48 am

Eeeeek caps

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:06 am

andaca
IF THIS IS POSSIBLE. MINE IS POSSIBLE.
Possible doesn't mean needful :).

JUST WANTED TO SEE SOME CREATIVE INPUT/ IDEAS/ RADICAL
STUFF.

There are plenty of complete fanless projects out there - why reinvent the wheel?

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:05 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:
andaca wrote:fixed.
All that "lol fix'd" business is just hilarious. I've seen it on 4chan's /b/ more than any decent forum, and it should spread all over the world because it's so funny.
lol fix'd

efcoins2

Post by efcoins2 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:40 am

Regular heatpipes work very well, the difficult part is dissipating the heat, not moving the heat 15cm from the CPU.
A super-heatpipe does not achieve anything useful, a super-radiator is what is wanted.