Dual Processor web server... quiet options?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Dual Processor web server... quiet options?

Post by sgtpokey » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:16 pm

Hmm, as a short/medium term deal, I'm soon going to be hosting a 24/7 web server in my own apartment.

I have a dual proc pentium 3 dell 410 server that may be used for this purpose, but I'm wondering if I could build something quieter on a very restricted budget (say $500). I don't relish the idea of a 24/7 server in my apartment burning energy and increasing noise. I'll be running the server headless, using Terminal Services to manage the system so I don't need to worry about keyboards, monitors, or mice.

So my question: Is there anything that could beat the system below in terms of noise/web server performance/and or power consumption?

Dell 410 Server:
92mm fan ducted for two pIII 550 mhz processors (it might be a 120mm but to me it looks like a 92)
Fanless video card (not sure what model but fanless is what's important)
Dell power supply (1 fan 80 mm)
1 gigs ECC SDRAM memory
12 gig SCSI drive
Win 2000 Pro

I was toying with the idea of going with a single processor, but I'll actually be using some virtual machines (eg vmWare, not Java Virtual Machines) which place some instant overhead on processors. It sure would be nice to be able to run a fanless Via platform as the webserver but I'm not if it would be powerful enough.

If I built a new server, I'd like to cannabilize the memory if it'll save some money.

Any thoughts?

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:30 pm

well ... there's always mineral oil. :lol:

NateR

Post by NateR » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:36 pm

Im not sure about your applications and cpu needs sgtpokey, but I would imagine that you could get by with alot less than a dual pIII for any type of server on a residential internet link. I have a via c3 800mhz that does http, ftp, nat, email, firewall, and mysql on freebsd with no problems whatsoever. Here are the specs of the box at www.it9.net/quiet/c3.htm . Not only does it run cool, but helps with the electricity bill, as of course it is on all the time.

Bat

Post by Bat » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:26 pm

How much space do you have? For well under $500 you could make give your existing server a water-cooling system with, say, two car radiators with no fans on them, mounted horizontally so air flows up through them. If you include water cooling for that SCSI drive then you can wrap rubber or foam around it without worrying about heat.

If the PSU is noisy, you might have some trouble: Dell like to use non-standard connectors for PSUs so replacing it might be difficult.

If you do build something new, be careful to check the motherboard can use ECC RAM, if ECC is important to you (as I feel it should be).
You might consider the Gigabyte GA-7DX+ with a PCI SCSI card in it, some ECC DDR RAM (you couldn't re-use your SDR RAM in it), an AMD ThoroughbredB 1700+ and a Silenx PSU. You could re-use the disc. Would that give you enough change from $500 to give it some quiet cooling? I don't know.

It can take a long time looking at motherboard manufacturers's websites to find which ones support ECC RAM. You might do better to look for the kind of RAM you have on a RAM-maker's site (Crucial or Corsair perhaps) and look at their list of compatible motherboards.

Sadly, even if a chipset supports ECC, most boards with that chipset won't.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:16 am

Since it'll be a headless server, why not just lock it in the garage or cellar? Or maybe a ventilated closet? Hell, even the backyard shed! :lol:

That way, you wouldn't need to worry about quietness.