Removing thermal adhesive?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gandalf

Removing thermal adhesive?

Post by Gandalf » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:17 am

I have a problem. I have a broken ABIT NF7-S motherboard, but I already slapped on a southbridge cooler before noticing it was broken. The cooler is attached with the Zalman thermal adhesive. I cannot RMA it as long as the cooler is attached to it or there are traces of thermal adhesive left. Is there some way to remove it? A solvant of sorts? Or should I just throw the board away with the rest of my broken boards?

(Last time I bought a motherboard on this store).

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:53 am

Oh and getting the HS off isn't that big a problem, the freezer can probably take care of that, however, removing the left overs is a whole other story .. :(. I'll be so fucked if I can't RMA that board! *cries*

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:20 am

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5462

He removed the expoy with an exacto knive and acetone.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:39 am

The problem is that I've seen acetone eat through entire motherboards .. I can't really risk that :?. However, I will use that as my last option.

oogabooga

Post by oogabooga » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:55 pm

Gandalf wrote:The problem is that I've seen acetone eat through entire motherboards .. I can't really risk that :?. However, I will use that as my last option.
You're right - acetone can chew through PCB if you're not careful. What I'd recommend is to use a Q-tip that has been wetted with acetone, and then rub the q-tip on the epoxy, and finally use the exacto to remove the softened epoxy.

The southbridge casing should hold up - but you may end up removing any lettering on the southbridge.

You could always try some other solvent like rubbing alcohol - it shouldn't hurt the PCB but it might not have any effect on the epoxy....

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:20 pm

I want to refer you to another thread that I started at cdrbase forums because these guys offered suggestions on removing the compound.

I think the link will work for you, but it may not if you aren't registered at cdrbase. Could somebody who is not a member of cdrbase let me know if the link provided works?

MGP

Post by MGP » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:31 pm

i could access the forum thread, but i believe it refers to thermal compound, and not adhesive. that black square at the bottom of the stock intel hsf is a thermal pad (sorta like pre-applied, no worries thermal grease). removing adhesive is trickier

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:38 pm

Ok, sorry about the confusion, but thanks MGP for the clarification.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:43 pm

Thanks guys :lol:
The board is in the freezer as we speak, I hope I'll get it off!

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:14 pm

Gandalf: for future reference, you might consider purchasing this heatsink. It costs ~$15, not including S/H (somewhat pricey, but nonetheless it is a quality, low-profile HS that comes with thermal tape pre-applied). In fact, this is what I am using to cool the southbridge on my NF7-S. Take care.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:16 am

Alright, the freezer method didn't work.
What I did was YANK it off. It took me 15 minutes of yanking at full force (and I'm a fairly strong guy .. ) but it came off! No leftovers either! I guess the adhesive-chip cohesion wasn't strong enough for any of it to remain.
Thanks guys :D. Now I can RMA the board! I'm happy now.