My next step in watercooling

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

My next step in watercooling

Post by Zhentar » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:24 pm

I've completed my next step in watercooling; now my CPU, northbridge, hard drive, and MOSFETs are all watercooled. It has had unbeleivable results.

1. My motherboard is now even MORE picky about RAM. I didn't even think that was possible. I'll probably have to buy a new motherboard next month :(

2. Nothing leaks. With 26 hose connections and 24 hose clamps this is nothing short of a miracle.

3. Thanks to my new KVM stitch, my computer area is even more cluttered with cables.

A few other things: my MOSFET block does a terrible job. This is probably thanks to the fact that its not even close to flat and I've got a bit of flat aluminum under it as a heat spreader just so all the MOSFETs get cooled. I'll probably get someone with too much time to make me a simple block, but I've still got quite a bit of copper tubing so I could take a second stab at it with the goals of "flat" and "works" in mind, taking advantage of the lessons I've learned.

My hard drive cooler also isn't very flat, however it appears to be working very well. This is mostly thanks to superior mounting (the MOSFETS are just superglue/AS3) where as the hard drive doesn't even have thermal paste but it was a mount system compressing it tightly agains the drives for a much better contact. I also think its getting much more flow than the other blocks.

Post by 1398342003 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:33 pm

Pics please.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:34 pm

Yeah... you can't taunt us like that and not give us some pics afterward.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:42 pm

Sorry I don't have a digital camera right now. I have taken quite a few pictures with a disposable camera though, and once I finish the roll off I can get some pics scanned and uploaded.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:58 pm

Heh, that sounds like my situation. I've got lots of various goodies I'd like to take pics of, but no digi camera. First thing that comes to mind is my recent cablegami. :D

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:01 am

I've found convenience stores to be a good way to procure some quick cash when you need something very desperately (like a new digital camera). You don't even need a gun! Just shove a Snickers bar in your jacket pocket and there you have it. The cash will flow.

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:39 am

miker wrote:I've found convenience stores to be a good way to procure some quick cash when you need something very desperately (like a new digital camera). You don't even need a gun! Just shove a Snickers bar in your jacket pocket and there you have it. The cash will flow.
Well if you're gonna go that kind of extreme, why not go somewhere that you can shove a digital camera in your pocket? Then you find a camera-shy checker and threaten to take their picture over and over if they don't give you all the money in the register. End result: You get the camera and the money!

(Is the moon full or what's been warping our minds here lately?)