How is this possible?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frosty

How is this possible?

Post by frosty » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:59 am

Yes it is me again. I adjusted just one more thing and a strange event occurred. I placed a zalman fanmate on my cpufan 80 L and actually reduced the voltage to just a bare reduction in movement, I don't have a voltage meter yet, so I am assuming from 7 to 9 volts. I have a 5 v running near it and used it for reference and my cpu fan is definitely faster.
Now a normal person would think temps should rise a bit right? Wrong. My beforehand steady temps at idle were ambient 16c, yes 16c and case about 20c and cpu 34 to 36. And about 42 surfing or playing lots of quake3.
Now with a reduced speed and no other alterations my ambient is still 16c and my case at 20c but the cpu idle is a steady 27c! Gaming temps hit up to 36c cpu wise.
I know this sounds crazy and I am not making up these temps, the cmos and temperature display program and speedfan are reporting the same temps.

My only thought is that the cpu fan was pulling so much air it was drawing air right out of the bottom of the vents in the psu and blowing it into the hs area. So to my surprise of course seeing temps dip like this is really strange and exciting. Exciting because now that winter has set in good, and thank goodness for winter, I can prolly get away with reducing my intake fan rpm down on a zalman or try it on 5v since my cpu temp is so nice.

On a footnote my old hot toasty maxtor is still hovering at 39c in the upper bay.

:shock:

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:06 am

If you leave all the windows open, you could probably do away with all the fans. :lol:

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:21 am

Yeah, it does sound a little strange, but what sounds even stranger is your 16c ambient. Don't you find that a bit cold to live in? :)

Maybe you have answered your own mystery. Your HSF no longer tips the fine balance of airflow. When you set the fan at a lower voltage, it could be pulling the natural path of cool air that flows through your case. (i.e. the cool air that comes in from the bottom-front vents and leaves at top-rear exhaust)

With it set higher it may be sucking more hot air from sorrounding components such as graphics card, memory, psu, or even recycling hot air that has left you case and re-entered through tiny holes/gaps at the back of your case. It's no longer pulling the cooler air but you may be creating other channels of airflow.

In your scenario of 16c ambient it's quite extreme, so it's more prone to suprises. A tip in the balance of airflow can make some difference. All this is speculation though, with a little logic. It may or may not be the case.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:54 am

16C too cold to live in? Yeah, I guess so. But if you put on some thermal underwear, nice woolen sweater, a pair of sheepskin gloves, and a nice warm goosedown coat, well, could work out for you. :wink:

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:56 pm

Have you tried turning the CPU fan so it will suck instead of blow?
With your setup it might give you a good airflow path.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:24 pm

JVM wrote:16C too cold to live in? Yeah, I guess so. But if you put on some thermal underwear, nice woolen sweater, a pair of sheepskin gloves, and a nice warm goosedown coat, well, could work out for you. :wink:
Always found gloves to be hard to type in, even thin ones. Too much tendency to hit neighboring keys. But, hey, that's what the Backspace key is for, and what's a little inconvenience in the pursuit of silence? Besides, when it gets cold enough, my sinus acts up and I lose part of my hearing, so it all becomes even more quiet :-)

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:32 pm

lenny wrote:
JVM wrote:16C too cold to live in? Yeah, I guess so. But if you put on some thermal underwear, nice woolen sweater, a pair of sheepskin gloves, and a nice warm goosedown coat, well, could work out for you. :wink:
Always found gloves to be hard to type in, even thin ones. Too much tendency to hit neighboring keys. But, hey, that's what the Backspace key is for, and what's a little inconvenience in the pursuit of silence? Besides, when it gets cold enough, my sinus acts up and I lose part of my hearing, so it all becomes even more quiet :-)
Sinusitis can sometimes be a blessing. :)

I made my computer silent by turning off the hearing aids. :wink:

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:34 pm

silvervarg wrote:Have you tried turning the CPU fan so it will suck instead of blow?
Hey, this is a family site, can you watch your language? :lol:

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:38 pm

JVM wrote:
silvervarg wrote:Have you tried turning the CPU fan so it will suck instead of blow?
Hey, this is a family site, can you watch your language? :lol:
lmao :lol: Good one JVM...

Seal

Post by Seal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:22 am

ambient temps do alot!, if we all had 16deg c rooms then silencing with brill temps wouldnt be very hard at all!!

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:52 am

JVM - Yes it would help to open the windows hehehe

Ez2remember - Our cold here in Colorado, USA is a bit different than your could there in the UK, our humidity is 30 to 40 % and so that bone chilling feel is less evident plus I am not using frosty as a handle for no reason at all. :}

Our main room is about 20c or 68f and gets hotter in the kitchen area, the pc sits in a lonely northern corner of a window strewn area.

Silver - gotta try that one m8, gives me another reason to crack the case. :}

Actually I rewired the intake fan to 7 volts, hope I don't blow my psu, and the other fans are 5v or about 7v and needless to say it is almost silent, temps jumped to 36c on the cpu now that he intake fan is dropped so thus it must have been the cpu was getting blown by the actual intake air and at higher rpm was drawing in air from other case components.

After gaming on Q3 platform temps went as high as 39c, totally acceptable temps! What a system.

MikeC & ALL you guys and gals here, have created a monster here with me, :} :}, I started opening the case on June2 so it has been six months and over 300 times, I quit counting, since I have been opening the case to mod over and over!!

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:05 pm

I just read an article that over 6000 people in Colorado have gotten the flu. Considering how germs can travel, better to keep the windows closed and use ice cubes wrapped in sealed plastic bags in the computer -- hey, is that considered water cooling? :)

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:06 pm

after the condensation starts dripping all over your pc's internals, yes i would call that water cooling :) for a few moments

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:38 pm

6000 very scary! Yes I just heard that they forcast this flu to kill nationwide fr 60k to 80k people, mostly babies and elderly. Weird stuff considering I work with the public daily! I will keep taking my vitamins, eat too muh and get lots of sleep, hope and pray the sickies stay away.

This latest strain is allegedly heading eastward and is supposed to be the dealiest flu in 25 years. Makes one wonder about biological warfare? Ever wonder?????????

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:03 pm

frosty wrote:6000 very scary! Yes I just heard that they forcast this flu to kill nationwide fr 60k to 80k people, mostly babies and elderly. Weird stuff considering I work with the public daily! I will keep taking my vitamins, eat too muh and get lots of sleep, hope and pray the sickies stay away.

This latest strain is allegedly heading eastward and is supposed to be the dealiest flu in 25 years. Makes one wonder about biological warfare? Ever wonder?????????
It's heading eastward? Uh-oh, looks like I need to up my vitamin intake. 60-80 thousand and mainly babies and the elderly? Well, I'm no baby but elderly? Depends on the age of who is asking. :)

Gotta keep away from junk food - bad for the immune system - and increase good healthy food and get proper rest. Another thing is making sure the keyboard isn't contaminated by someone else's germs. My daughter goes to school and those kids in school spread germs like wildfire. Gonna clean my keyboard with a spray can of Lysol just to play it safe.

Biological warfare? Yeah, it's kind of strange that we are having this peculiar flu coming at us. I had a flu shot but they say this new flu means the flu shot is virtually useless. When this new flu meets my flu shot, all hell can break loose. I'm thinking pessimistic and my fan stops spinning - kind of slang for heart stops pumping. Whoa!