Please help me pick a motherboard.

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

randyharris

Please help me pick a motherboard.

Post by randyharris » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:27 pm

I'm hoping some knowledgeable people can point me in the right direction.

I'm upgrading a HTPC computer with a new motherboard, cpu, and video card. I've decided on a fanless ATI 128meg 9000 or 9200 for the video. CPU I can easily figure out. What I need help with is the Motherboard.

I want to go AMD for the cpu, prefer nForce2 motherboards. What I specifically need is a board that is fanless, heatsink only, and that has SPDIF connectors included with the board. Too many boards I've looked at have optional connectors but they don't come with them.

I could care less about overclocking, I just want a good stable platform.

microATX would be preferred, but regular ATX is ok.

Thanks much,

Randy

grindlestone

Post by grindlestone » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:29 am

OK, I just did a lot of research on this same question. I went with the ABIT NF7-s which I am running a 2400+ on. It does have a fan on the northbridge but from what I have read this can be replaced with a passive heatsink though I havn't done that yet.

I chosethis board because all the reviews and forum posts I saw agreed that the newest revision was the fastest, most stable iteration of nForce2 they had seen. It also supports 200, 266, 333 and 400 mhz FSB, dual channel ram setups, SATA raid, has fantastic 6.1 integrated sound and can handle any athlon chip in existence so there's great upgrade potential. I'm expecting this board to keep me happy for the next 18 months - 2 years. When prices have dropped a bit more I'll put an XP2800 and another 512 or ram into it. If you ever did get interested in overclocking everything you could want is already there in the bios.

They seem pretty cheap to me and the standard NF7 is even cheaper though you don't get dual channel or SATA raid.

hawkeye1
Patron of SPCR

Post by hawkeye1 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:25 am

Gigabyte motherboards are not only reliable, but quite inexpensive as well. They have several passively-cooled nForce2 offerings, I'd advocate you check them out. They are the most stable motherboards I've owned, and I've been through several brands! http://www.giga-byte.com/

P.S. They also overclock well, but I'm using my GA-7N400-L1 at stock speeds.

MGP

Post by MGP » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:44 am

You might also want to look at the Asus A7N8X Deluxe...It's a very solid board with passive NForce 2 northbridge cooling and SPDIF connectors. If I had an AMD system, I think that this would be my mobo of choice (assuming I was building an Athlon XP system).

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Alistair » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:55 am

I'll back up the Asus, I've been using them for years. Once in a while I try Abit or such and I always return to Asus. Good layout, documentation and value. Both the A7N8X and A7V8X series are solid. The A7V8X-X has spdif right on the motherboard. If you don't need firewire or s-ata you won't need the deluxe models.

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:16 am

Asustek's website led me to believe only the A7N8X-Deluxe offers S/PDIF output. You're telling me the A7N8X-X has S/PDIF out too... Interesting.

randyharris

Post by randyharris » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:43 am

The Asus A7V8X-X Sounds interesting, is I checked Asus's website and it does mention that it has a spdif connector on the motherboard - but they don't say whether it is coax or optical. Can anybody clarify?

Randy

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:09 am

Turns out, it's a connector for an optional S/PDIF bracket, according to the motherboard manual. See page 28. The bracket shown in the manual is coaxial.

If I can find this bracket for less than the price difference between the -X and the Deluxe, I'll be getting the -X.

Edit: I see Newegg has the coaxial S/PDIF I/O bracket available for $14.99 (N82E16813131205). There is also a "J-Panel" that fits in a 5 1/4" bay, 2 X USB, S/PDIF out, mic, line out also $14.99 (N82E16813131208)

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Alistair » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:51 am

Asus boards usually come with the seperate spdif bracket included, but this one didn't need it - it has a Coax S/PDIF out right on the board, and i used it. here: