Cutting a fanless blowhole in my case - good idea or not?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaynorWolfcastle
Friend of SPCR

Cutting a fanless blowhole in my case - good idea or not?

Post by RaynorWolfcastle » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:42 pm

I've been seriously thinking about doing some case-modding on my Antec SX635 case. I had an idea that seems to me like it wood be good, but I need some confirmation on its effect if anyone has tried it.

I'm considering cutting open a blowhole on the top of my case but not putting any fan on it. Essentially it would be working on the idea of convection (hot air rises). I'm hoping this could drop my case temps a little without having to add more fans.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that this could potentially raise my noise level by letting more noise out through reflection. My solution to this would be to create some sort of grille which minimizes a direct path outwards but still allows air to float up and out.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone tried this?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:07 pm

What about (this is only theory). Put only intake fans and above the power supply at the very top, on the back or sides just cut a hole (it doesnt have to be round). So then cool is being pushed in, so a equal amount of hot air is being removed from the top of the case. ??? Never seen anyone do this, dont know if it will work?

Elliot
Patron of SPCR

Post by Elliot » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:07 pm

Have you seen this thread?

My PC has a chimney

RaynorWolfcastle
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaynorWolfcastle » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:16 pm

Elliot wrote:Have you seen this thread?

My PC has a chimney
I just read it, the idea is similar, but I just want to cut a hole to let the air out, no chimney. The idea is really just to use convection, I think the case otherwise has enoughair circulation and in a good pattern. Two intake fans, near the ground, two exhaust fans (one of them being the PSU fan) at the top of the case.

I think that just opening up that whole at the top would let a whole lot more hot air out just by convention, but I have no idea how big this effect would be.

ABAQUS888

Post by ABAQUS888 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:48 pm

Don't do it, it won't work,dude. it will increase noise level and temp too. the only thing decreases is the weight of the case which won't make any sense to me.

wsc

Post by wsc » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:50 pm

I think it would create a "short circuit" in the airflow...

You really have to watch for that. I know my HD gets about 5*C hotter with the side of the case off because no air is pulled over it.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:22 am

The effect would depend a lot on the if your fans try to push more air in or tries to exhaust more air (positive vs negative case pressure).
I suggest that you should first try out to remove the side panel of your box and put it towards the chassi with a ~1cm (<0.5inch) gap at the top. This should give results that are quite close to cutting a hole in the top of your box, and it can be done with very litte effort and is easilly reversible.

The lower airflow you have the better the effect will be. If you have negative case pressure it will probably be a very bad idea.

If you take the time to do the test mentined above please post before and after temps.