Motherboard LAN port is beeping...

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BeerParty
*Lifetime Patron*

Motherboard LAN port is beeping...

Post by BeerParty » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:00 pm

My new quiet rig has an unusual problem - the motherboard LAN port is beeping! :?

My rig:
  • Antec Sonata w/stock Antec case fan and PSU
    ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard
    Athlon XP 2500+ w/Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2
    2 Seagate Barracuda drives
The system sits on my desk, and is quiet except for the beeping coming from the mother board LAN port. I know it's the LAN port because:
  • The beeping is consistent with the light on the LAN port
    The beeping goes away when I disconnect the network cable from the system
The sound isn't coming from the external speakers, I can turn them off and still clearly hear the beeping.

Has anyone hear of this before? Any suggestions?

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:31 pm

yeah, i have this problem, the onboard audio also makes wierd noises thru the speakers when it's not being used..

my solution: disable both.. :(

www.nforcershq.com has a lot more people with the same problems.

BeerParty
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BeerParty » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:34 am

Harry Azol wrote:yeah, i have this problem, the onboard audio also makes wierd noises thru the speakers when it's not being used..

my solution: disable both.. :(

www.nforcershq.com has a lot more people with the same problems.
My onboard audio doesn't have any problems (that's a known problem with the A7N8X - you need the latest BIOS), and the other places I checked all referred to sound coming from the speakers. My sound is actually coming from the motherboard itself, not the speakers. Even with my speakers off and/or the audio muted I still hear this beeping sound.

I "borrowed" a NIC to install to see if that eliminates the problem and will post tomorrow after testing it.

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:24 pm

if you read my message again I said "the onboard audio also makes wierd noises " ;) ;)

I tried all the suggested fixes and none worked.. so both are disabled now
BeerParty wrote: My onboard audio doesn't have any problems (that's a known problem with the A7N8X - you need the latest BIOS), and the other places I checked all referred to sound coming from the speakers. My sound is actually coming from the motherboard itself, not the speakers. Even with my speakers off and/or the audio muted I still hear this beeping sound.

I "borrowed" a NIC to install to see if that eliminates the problem and will post tomorrow after testing it.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:59 am

Is this a problem just for Asus A7N7X-X board or has it been known to be a problem on other boards as well?
Sorry for beeing too lazy to go through nforcehq.com forums to check everything out.

BeerParty
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BeerParty » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:06 am

Harry Azol wrote:if you read my message again I said "the onboard audio also makes wierd noises " ;) ;)

I tried all the suggested fixes and none worked.. so both are disabled now
I think I have a solution to the problem that doesn't involve disabling the devices. A question for you, did you disable both at the same time, or did you do one and then the other?

My (accidental) solution turned out to be replacing the speakers on my system - when I unplugged my orignial (cheap) pair of speakers, the LAN port beeping went away. I tried plugging in some high quality speakers (same port on the motherboard) and the noise did not return.

BeerParty
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BeerParty » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:42 am

silvervarg wrote:Is this a problem just for Asus A7N7X-X board or has it been known to be a problem on other boards as well?
Sorry for beeing too lazy to go through nforcehq.com forums to check everything out.
I seacrhed all the nforcehq.com forums and couldn't find this specific problem - all the problems I did find were related to audio problems from the motherboard audio port.

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:20 pm

I was also getting wierd noises out of my speakers when the sound card was not being used.. so I disabled both at once and used seperate cards..

if i get some time I might try them out again..

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:20 am

It must be the board issue :roll:
Since nForce2 chipset (i assume this is the one used?) is used on many other boards as well, however i never heard mine Epox 8RDA+ making any noise with lan activity :wink: