my HUGE radiator and fans under the house

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

link1896

Post by link1896 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:23 am

ooh, the controller in the psu chamber controls the mains to the phantom 500 in case water flow is lost via a mechanical relay.

relay also controls the fans.

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:52 am

Here's to your total dedication...What about LAN parties?:D
How are you converting the flow sensors o/p for use? Can this be done using PICs ?
With regard to condenstion what about the gunge the phase change cooler guys use ? Would this help?
Best of luck with the rest of the project

link1896

Post by link1896 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:42 am

Howdy LLiam,

had a few small LAN parties with close friends, but nothing much. Won't be taking this system now, probably best to have it at my place!

The flow sensor puts out a pulse for every time the impeller tips pass a hall effects sensor. So the frequency of the pulses is 7hz for a flow of one litre per minute. A pic can simply count the pulses over a given time, divide this number by 7 x count period, and gives you a litre per min rate.

I have very accurate humidity sensors, with a simple 0-5v analog output for 0-100% relative humidity. Accuracy of about 1-2%. I have not seen the sensor the phase change guys use sorry.

My final version controller isn't too far away, currently laying out the pcb. My first controller is on vario board with point to point wiring, very messy and hard to modify.

Will have pics in a few weeks, I'm wondering if there is any demand for a flow sensor and/or flow control guardian (turns off power supply if flow drops below set value)

link1896

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:22 am

I think there would be a demand for a flow guardian. I have a flow switch in my loop which is hooked up to a 555 pulse generator. If there is no flow when the computer is switched on (pump failure) the MOBO doesn't boot. The pump is switched by a 240v relay with 12v coils connected to the 12v on one of the molex connectors. Been working OK for the last 2yrs (6monthly water changes!)
I would love to see the actual flow rate - the more bells and whistles the better!!!
The gunge I meant was a non conductive grease that used to be smeared around the cpu and MB around the cpu to prevent condensation. I believe that they now have a more sophsticated solution a small warmer in the cpu block to keep things above the dew point in that area.
Cheers

PizPump

Post by PizPump » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:55 am

Link, just wanted to say your setup has inspired me to move all my noisy components outside. :D

Have a question regarding flow...

Bought a BigWater system and the pump can barely keep up with localized components. Would I be able to get away with adding a low-pressure (6-8psi) Carter automotive fuel pump outside near the radiator to help coolant circulate...or is it just too much?

Any comment appreciated!

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 am

isnt the next stage to move your HDDs next to the radiator in the basement?

link1896

Post by link1896 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:06 pm

Pizpump,

I have looked at the pumps data (though very limited, the carter website is useless).

Assuming their maximium pressure of 6psi means that at 6psi there is zero flow, the pump would work, but looks a little expensive. Max flow, at zero head (meaning no restrictions, no pipe on the outlet of the pump), is 72gph.
Also, this pump is a 12v dc pump, and it is going to draw a lot of power, turn on surge "could" be more then a 350w atx power supply can manage.

6psi equates to about 4.5meters of head. This means attach 4.5meters of hose to the pump, place the pipe above the pump so the pump is trying to pump water vertically up the pipe, and you will get no flow from out the top.

I have found with my setup water bubbles add a lot of restriction, and once bled out, the flow increases a lot.

If you do try it, I would love to hear about your results.

Perplex,

sadly I am just beyond the 12 meter boundary for scsi ultra 160's lvds bus, and I still have 2 ide drives. I can not hear the drives over the other ambient noises in and around my house like the clock ticking, the dog snooring, the birds out side, and the fridge when it's pump is running.

I'm a happy man now.

link1896