Small and silent

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klegg

Small and silent

Post by klegg » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Have been working on silent computing for quite some time now. Mostly fanless.

Our best model this far can be viewed here

Image.

It uses a 45 W athlon, and is of dimensions 30x28x10 cm. While under stress CPU-temp lands at around 55 C. Due to space constraints only a slimline dvd and a tv-card are included in the box (except for the obvious stuff). Cooling is achieved by transfering heat to the cooling wall.

This one works best when oriented vertically, in some cases this is not practical, and in this design

that constraint is not present. This box has dimensions 38x28x5 cm (i.e. considerably thinner, but due to the forced flow, the cooling structure can be made smaller), and here cooling is achieved by one 8 cm Nexus fan, 1500 rpm (inlet seen in picture), temperatures are about the same as the fanless.Obviously this one is not as quiet as the fanless design, but in most cases it is quiet enough. This one is not the most polished of designs (the two cables at the front is the on/off button...).

Regards,

/jon

Strid

Post by Strid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:28 am

Looks interesting! But it's kind of hard to see from the pictures, exactly what is going on there. So the entire side is basically a heat sink connected to the CPU/GPU??

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:07 am

Yes it looks very interesting, especially the first one. Some more pictures and details would be great!

klegg

Post by klegg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Strid wrote:Looks interesting! But it's kind of hard to see from the pictures, exactly what is going on there. So the entire side is basically a heat sink connected to the CPU/GPU??
The cpu is connected to the side wall. It is connected via a solid piece of aluminum (in the same way as has been described on this forum before). Have no dedicated gpu on this one, only using the one included on the mainboard - so neither of these rigs are suitable for serious gaming.

/j

krstofer

Size

Post by krstofer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:46 am

Your first model is about half the size of a HFX-mini. That is impressive.

Regarding the second one, is it just one fan in the system? So there is no fan explicitly cooling the CPU?

klegg

Re: Size

Post by klegg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:09 am

krstofer wrote:Regarding the second one, is it just one fan in the system? So there is no fan explicitly cooling the CPU?
That is right, only one fan in the system, a 1500 rpm Nexus. I wanted to make the box as thin as possible, and I soon realized that it would be difficult if I were to use a heat sink and fan on the CPU (even if it were a low profile one).

Instead there is one fan pulling air into the box (haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure it would work if were to push air out instead), and basically a part of the interior of the box is working as a heat sink for the cpu.

krstofer

CPU in the second design

Post by krstofer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:30 am

What kind of CPU are you using, and how much power is it using?

Wilhelm-Tell

Post by Wilhelm-Tell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Great build!

NefariousRat

Post by NefariousRat » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm very curious to know more about the the transfer mechanism to the cooling wall. I can think of a few ways it might be achieved, but I'm wondering how involved (read: expensive) the method is here.

Regardless, that's genius. I can think of a lot of people (myself included) who'd enjoy a PC with those specs in that footprint. That leads to another question: will it work with the new 45W quad?

Raaagh

Post by Raaagh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Is this ur personal system, or a customers?

klegg

Post by klegg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:46 am

NefariousRat wrote:I'm very curious to know more about the the transfer mechanism to the cooling wall. I can think of a few ways it might be achieved, but I'm wondering how involved (read: expensive) the method is here.

Regardless, that's genius. I can think of a lot of people (myself included) who'd enjoy a PC with those specs in that footprint. That leads to another question: will it work with the new 45W quad?
The method is really simple. CPU is connected to the cooling wall by a piece of solid aluminum, about 4 cm high. And the "cooling wall" is actually a channel, made of two plates of aluminum. That is, there are no fins or anything (which would have made it more complicated). I have done tests, and have found that the channel is quite an efficient way to remove the heat. So the material needed is really inexpensive, but of course one has to think a bit about the placement of HD, dvd, and tv-card (here a riser card is needed).

The cpu in this case draws about 45 W, so a new quad would be no problem (we have made similar systems with 65 W CPUs, and that is no problem, one just have to make the channel slightly bigger). There are some issues about dimensions of the channel, the optimal width of the channel is related to the other dimensions of the channel.

klegg

Post by klegg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:50 am

Raaagh wrote:Is this ur personal system, or a customers?
The first one I actually sold to a friend. The second one was the result of an inquiry of a firm needing a silent "appliance computer" (and they didn't want to be restricted to a vertical placement of the computer). But since it is a prototype and since I need a new media computer anyway I'm going to use it as a HTPC system at home.