Asus A8N-VM CSM + x2 3800+ in Nexus Breeze

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Erssa

Asus A8N-VM CSM + x2 3800+ in Nexus Breeze

Post by Erssa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:29 pm

Update: Upgraded my faulty asus mobo to Sapphire PI, switched Samsung p80 to raptor 150gb, switched TEAC optical to Pioneer and bought a new 7600GT so the installation here doens't exist anymore. I'll probably make a new thread when I have the time to give it a finishing touch. For what it's worth idle noise levels didn't change.

Ok, so here's my rig, components can be seen in my sig.

INSTALLING: I can't say installation was a breeze. I was hoping that I could use my old hard drive without a hassle, but the computer wouldn't boot to windows. So I reinstalled it. After couple of reboots, I got black screen and VIDEO MODE NOT SUPPORTED -text in my screen and I thought it was somekind of bad setting in bios (I had tried if this thing could boot with 240 x10, well it did and I had already reseted the settings back to default) or with the nvidia drivers that I had just installed. I got the message everytime after the windows loading screen. So I reseted CMOS. Didn't help so I decided to repair the windows installation. It seemed to help for the first boot. Then I got the issue again. Well finally I got to unplugging my monitor from the power socket and it seemed to help. I don't know what caused it. Maybe it was some kind of memory overflow on the monitors hardware? Hard to say never had the problem with my old computer. Next thing that started to annoy me was my mouse. For some reason it had started randomly to react slowly with a delay, making it really hard to use. I couldn't figure out what caused it. Tried almost everything to figure out, nothing. Couldn't find everything from google. Well last night I got pissed because my program files folder in c: looked like a mess so I decided to remove the c: partition and do everything from scratch. Now I have installed everything as it should be and I got rid of the useless files in my c: drive. Well the mouse bug is still here and it's annoying as hell, eventhough things have been better now and it happens more seldom, but it happens anyway. I'm thinking it's an issue with the dual core, geforce 6150 or the USB-ports. Any suggestions?

Update: resolved mouse bug by connecting extra usb2 ports (not included with mobo) to usb5 and 6 ports of the mobo. The 4 usb ports in mobo are broken or bugged. I hope bios update will solve. This mobo also made some noise, that I was able to get rid of almost completely, by turning of fading from effects of display properties. Not the best solution, but it will have to do for now.

Edit:
I did some arranging to the computer. Including an attempt at HDD-suspension. I did it with some wires. I don't know what they are called in english (or even in finnish). It's not elastic, but it has cut out all the HDD noises. Hopefully it's strong enough.

Even this picture isn't uptodate, since I did some small modifications to computer after taking it. Including taking the fanmate from the cpu and putting it to bottom nexus. Im running it now 900rpm down from stock 1081rpm. I installed Speedfan and I am currently using it to control the cpu fan. Currently it's running 1500rpm temp is 44c IDLE (c'n'q), people in asus forums are complaining that the cpu temps in this mobo seem too high. I'd have to agree because the zalman heatsink feels cold to my hand. The temperature sensor could be as much off as 10c. Mobo temps are 42c, HDD is idles between 30 and 32c. Closer to 32, but I have always something going on, so it hasn't really had time to fully rest. Temps rose to 36c max when I did 2 hours of defragging.

And here's a pic from the users perspective. I moved a couple of months ago to a new student appartment and I have been too lazy do anything for the speakers so I just put the all next to the monitor. Btw I love that desk.

And here's a picture of the actual desktop for what it's worth. Because I had to install windows again I lost all my old settings, so I decided to do some tweaking also to the way it looks. Currently using a mac theme.

That's it. Thanks for all the comments.

Edit: I realized I had made no comments on the noise of the computer. It is very quiet. How much noise can you expect from a fan mated nexus fan? 92mm zalman fan running and a psu fan (nexus) running at its lowest speed. The suspended samsung lives to its reputation as one of the the most silent drives, especially as suspended. All this sound is trying to escape from a damped case with only 1 way for the noise to exit - rear exhaust of psu. Biggest source of noise in my system is the white noise coming from the logitech speakers when I'm not listening to anything. They are starting to annoy me a bit now, even to the point that I turn them off when I'm not using them (mostly at night, at daytime the ambiet sound level is a bit higher, so they don't bother me that much). I have my computer 1,5-2m from my bed/pillow and the computer is running 24/7. Needless to say I sleep very well and don't even notice the small swooshing sound coming from the rear of the case. Now that I have returned from christmas holidays, having spend time with normal and loud computers, I appreciate my computer and the blissful silence even more then I did before.
Last edited by Erssa on Thu May 11, 2006 9:00 am, edited 6 times in total.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:49 pm

I know its not the first and only thing i should notice... but why do you have the souround speakers at the front?

Nice setup though.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:08 pm

Fat_bloater_dave wrote:I know its not the first and only thing i should notice... but why do you have the souround speakers at the front?

Nice setup though.
If you had read what I wrote you wouldn't have to ask. But I know there's lots of text so I'll answer.

I just moved to a new student appartment. My room is only 12 square meters. So I don't have room too much room to put them to. And second I have been too lazy to do anything about it.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:10 pm

haha i read everything apart from that last paragraph sorry :oops:

Bean

Post by Bean » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:39 pm

Did you mount the power supply upside down or is that the way its supposed to go? regardless, I like that the wire bundle is at the back side.

revolt

Post by revolt » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:00 pm

Erssa,

Nice system. Have you tried to plug in the mouse using the PS/2 ports (with an adapter)? In my experience, using a USB mouse has been shaky with certain boards and chipsets...maybe because of poor drivers or something... Hopefully things will get sorted out for this board so that I can build my HTPC with the A8N-VM CSM.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:12 pm

revolt wrote:Erssa,

Nice system. Have you tried to plug in the mouse using the PS/2 ports (with an adapter)? In my experience, using a USB mouse has been shaky with certain boards and chipsets...maybe because of poor drivers or something... Hopefully things will get sorted out for this board so that I can build my HTPC with the A8N-VM CSM.
My keyboard and mouse are connected through a bluetooth hub, that came with the diNovo package. It looks like an usb-stick and it can only be connected to usb-port. So PS/2 is out of question. Everything worked fine with my previous mobo and processor, so It's kind of strange.

Bean:
The psu is mounted as it should be. I guess it looks like it's upside down because of the sticker. It is the only way for the air to exit the case. It was pretty easy to get the extra cables to the other side of the case. It would look a bit more nice if the cables were sleeved.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:20 pm

I posted to motherboard section about some of issues I am having with the motherboard (it makes noise), so if you are interested on this motherboard check this thread out.

Hellsing

Post by Hellsing » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:12 pm

I listened to Angstridden the exact moment i saw your desktop :O

Clean and beautiful. :D

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:56 pm

prego_lala wrote:you should install Yz Shadow :) for nice drop shadow under the windows ...
I dare not even try, some 3D effects cause the coils in this motherboard to make noises. I have even turned fading effects off from menus. Maybe I will try them in the future when I am using discrete graphics card.

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:23 am

I'm trying to find a suitable mATX board for HTPC and have no intentions of games, no overclocking. Purely for streaming video/audio over network or from DVD player.

Can you reccomend this board on that basis?

Does it make any noise for DVD/AVI's ... ?

Has BIOS 506 resolved all of your problems?

Arrikhan

doudou

Post by doudou » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:56 am

Erssa,

Your mouse problem is not a mobo problem but a Dinovo problem !
This piece of hardware is crap. I had to returned it cause it wouldn't stop bugging (I had tried on different computers). I saw that logitech has released a new firmware for this kit, maybe that will help.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:00 pm

doudou wrote:Erssa,

Your mouse problem is not a mobo problem but a Dinovo problem !
This piece of hardware is crap. I had to returned it cause it wouldn't stop bugging (I had tried on different computers). I saw that logitech has released a new firmware for this kit, maybe that will help.
Had you read the thread I made to cpu & motherboard section, you would know that I'm not the only one struggling with the rear USB ports. I used diNovo for 2 months without any issues on my athlon xp and epox kha8+ mobo combo. Some of these a8n-vm csm motherboards just drop EVERY usb device in the rear ports. Regular usb mouses, keyboards, microphones, digital cameras... you name it. Other people in the asus forums have said they have the same problem, but some don't have it, so I guess it's not something that can be solved with bios update. I haven't had those issues requiring reconnection with it since I plugged in the extra usb-ports in the mobo and started using them. I will return this mobo when I find the time. Only diNovo problems I have had have been with the setpoint software (with earlier versions I had a sticky button effect on the left arrow key or so it seemed. It went away when I turned setpoint off and restarted it. Haven't had that in a while, they must have solved it with an upgrade), but I'm willing to forgive it since the diNovo bluetooth is a pretty new product. I bought it the same day it went to sales.

Arrikhan: based on my experience I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not saying the board is a total failure. It has great features. I bought my board the first day it came to sale. Other people have had no problems. It could be just my bad luck.

No the board doens't make coil noise with DVDs/AVI's. It occurs when I move windows or scroll inside folders. I do have a small issue when using powerDVD. A small vertical line of 1-2 pixels at the right end of my screen. I'm not actually what is causing it. It will probably be solved with a driver upgrade (I have the lastest).

Purely for streaming video/audio over network or from DVD player? I think it would fill its purpose. My only really disfunctional part is the rear usb-ports. And of course as a silence enthusiast I dislike the occational coil noise.
Hellsing wrote:I listened to Angstridden the exact moment i saw your desktop :O

Clean and beautiful. :D
Thanks, I'd say it is quite a coincidence. It's not like Satyricon is exactly common mainsteam band. I guess this proves that not all people, that are into silent computing, listen only to classical music :).

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:10 am

I wasn't in the mood to edit my original post so. I post the latest developments here.

Changed from 0506 bios to 0610. Idle temp readings dropped alot:
Cpu from 44c - > 37c
PWR from 44c -> 37c
Mobo temps from 41 -> 38c
These temps are with Zalman 7000B-alcu @ 1500rpm controlled by speedfan. Pretty decent temperatures considering my psu fan is the only fan exhausting the air from the case.

Currently I am testing CrystalCPUID and running dual prime95 large FTTs:
Cpu temps after 1,5h 44c, PWE temp 45c, mobo temp 48c. I dropped the Vcore to 1.1V with CrystalCPUID (CCID from now on). Speedfan and CPU-Z says the Vcore is around 1.15V. That's the lowest I can go with CCID. I think it is because of the settings in bios. I tried setting the Voltage to lower in CCID, but it won't go lower then 1.1V. The settings are there, but not available to users in bios. But they have to be there for the cnq to work. I also tested different multipliers 4x caused a crash, and I had to turn the power off the PSU. Probably because cnq lowers the multi to only 5x and 4x isn't available in bios. Speedfan has raised the cpu cooler to 1700rpm when running dual prime95. PSU rpms have probably ramped up a notch, but it cannot be heard, because the zalman is louder. Overall the noise has increased to a level where I wouldn't be confortable sleeping with the computer on, not that I have a reason to dual prime when I sleep :). More and more I am temped to test a SI-120 with nexus @7v combo on this (I know how it would sound by turning the zalman-fan off with speedfan), but I know, that if I do it, then I would have to switch nx-4090 to S12-430 etc... It won't be worth the money so I'll just skip it :).

Well anyway I am already confident that my x2 3800+ will run at whatever clockseed I give it at 1.1V, so I'm only going to set the load thresholds for the 3 different settings later. Maybe I will still test the whole thing with a small raise to the FSB (220) to get 4200+ speeds.

Coils are causing unregular whining more then usual as soon as I fire up the prime95, suggesting/confirming more and more, that I have a mobo/psu incompability, that causes the whining. I still feel it's the mobos fault, since my nx-4090 worked wonderfully with my late athlon 1700+ xp, epox Kha8+ combo. I am also testing the rear USB-ports again and I am having momentary ghosting/lags, which I didn't have with my former motherboard + cpu combo, the devices haven't dropped out yet in the couple hours of testing, but I will give it a chance to do it, before I switch back to using usb-port5.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:09 am

I had a NX4090 in a breeze case and it whined louder than all fans in the system together, IIRC i had a 7000AlCu in there with the intake fan being the only other fan since the GPU was cooled by a zalman zm80c-hp. The setup was a A7N8X Deluxe mobo and a 2600+ T-Bred and a 9800Pro and one HDD. Theres been other reports of coil-whine with the 4090 on the forums too, someone suggested putting hot-glue on the coils wich i think might work. You could try that, even better is that the nexus PSUs dont have a "warranty void if removed" sticker :wink:
Erssa wrote:I guess this proves that not all people, that are into silent computing, listen only to classical music :).
Well if the "What are you listening to right now?" thread is anything to go by, classical seems to about as popular as metal. Recently theres been a lot of Finnish metal there too:) Im on the metal side most of the time, but i do enjoy classical too :) Not many pop-music only listeners on here.. :P

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:02 pm

nici wrote:Theres been other reports of coil-whine with the 4090 on the forums too, someone suggested putting hot-glue on the coils wich i think might work. You could try that, even better is that the nexus PSUs dont have a "warranty void if removed" sticker :wink:
Yeah I'm sure Nexus won't notice when I RMA their psu and it's full of hot glue ;).

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:42 pm

I swapped in a Nexus Real Silent fan in my Cooler Master Realpower ACLY and it has a warranty void if removed sticker, I don't know but maybe if I get warranty issues the judge will probably say: "look, the sticker isn't removed, okay, it's broken, but it isn't removed".

By the way, I've been reviewing SPCR for some time now and I must say it's dandy and full of great ideas, it made my computer really silent (2 days ago)

w00ps, will post pictures of my rig soon, as soon as I have managed to get the cables out of the way (I hate cable managing itself but it's really great to have the case look so neat).

I don't know the Nexus Breeze, but it seems like a spacey case to work in, is that single fan in the psu enough to pull all the hot air out? Don't you fear what that hot air might do to the psu? Is your mother single?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:57 pm

Flying Dutchman wrote:I swapped in a Nexus Real Silent fan in my Cooler Master Realpower ACLY and it has a warranty void if removed sticker, I don't know but maybe if I get warranty issues the judge will probably say: "look, the sticker isn't removed, okay, it's broken, but it isn't removed".

By the way, I've been reviewing SPCR for some time now and I must say it's dandy and full of great ideas, it made my computer really silent (2 days ago)

w00ps, will post pictures of my rig soon, as soon as I have managed to get the cables out of the way (I hate cable managing itself but it's really great to have the case look so neat).

I don't know the Nexus Breeze, but it seems like a spacey case to work in, is that single fan in the psu enough to pull all the hot air out? Don't you fear what that hot air might do to the psu? Is your mother single?
Welcome to SPCR!
Yeah Nexus Breeze is a spacey case, a little too much for my liking. I'd want a smaller version of it. Yeah the single fan is enough, my rig is fairly low power and the exhaust air doesn't normally feel even warm. No I don't fear it will do anything. Besides I still have 8 months warranty left from my 24. Why yes, my mother just happens to be single. Did your daddy make you ask?
I'm looking forward to seeing your system when you are done.

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:03 pm

Oh my system is fairly done, I just need to shoot some pictures of it, but I'm a bit on the lazy side. It was difficult to get some sort of foam to dampen it a bit, not sure if it makes a ruddy difference in my situation or not. I'll tell the full story in my own post which I will make as soon as I get my cables out of the way for some pictures.... (yes I am lazy)

By the way, what is the temp on your NB? Mine is covered with the Zalman cooler but I just can't get it down in temp reasonably with my fans. I've been looking for maximum allowed temps for the nF4 chip but can't find any.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:24 pm

My NB idles at 41c. But my case doesn't have the best airflow amongst cases.

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:28 pm

I'm not an expert in airflow paths but your intake is almost underneath your NB and get's sucked up by your psu, seems to me your NB get's it's fair share of cold air. Nah my NB idles at about 44C, casual browsing 46, haven't seen it reach 50 though

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Flying Dutchman wrote:I'm not an expert in airflow paths but your intake is almost underneath your NB and get's sucked up by your psu, seems to me your NB get's it's fair share of cold air. Nah my NB idles at about 44C, casual browsing 46, haven't seen it reach 50 though
Well true, the airflow it gets is pretty decent. I was just suprised to hear that somebody else had the MB temps at 31c on this same motherboard in P150...

I cleaned my dust filter from the bottom 40 minutes ago and while at it I also opened my case because I had to reset the CMOS. I put too tight memory settings after updating bios to 0702. The system got some cool air then, and now my temps are cpu 35c, pwr 35c, M/B 39c, HDD 30c, after 40 minutes of light browsing. The dust filter was really full of dust, so I think my case gets now more clean air then it did earlier.

Edit: in the morning my idle temps were cpu 34c, pwr 34c, M/B 38c, HDD 30c.

Busy day, installing CrystalCPUID, creating a new partition for dual boot, Installing the OS, drivers etc...
Last edited by Erssa on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

justblair

Post by justblair » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:29 am

My brother has just set up a 2x4800 Athlon in a nexus breeze case with top end graphics card etc. His temps are coming under 47c for the processor and 35c for the mobo.

He has an Artic silencer v3 on his graphics card, exiting out the back, it is not pushing out a ton of air.

He has not cable managed the system and still has the lower drive bays in place so has not really optimised the airflow in the system. Further to that he has 3 hd's working in there too.

He also keeps it in a really rotten location in a desk cupboard so airflow is restricted into the box.

The mobo is controlling his fan speeds and is running the fan on his Ninja at about half speed, and the case fan is not even powering on most of the time. So YES the breeze can manage the cooling well in my opinion, even if the graphics was not dumping air out the back.

The system is quiet, though not silent. The low hum it gives off is also very easy to live with.