my cheap but quiet super lanboy

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

porkchop

my cheap but quiet super lanboy

Post by porkchop » Wed May 31, 2006 1:52 am

here it is
looks better in real life -_-

loudest thing is the hd(not from resonance, just the noise coming from it).
gpu fan is at 20% through speed fan and the cpu header on the mobo - inaudible.
cpu fan removed, 1100rpm 120mm fan blowing over stock heatsink, chipset and ram - very slight audible whoosh(only if you concentrate, its at 12v- so i can still undervolt it with my temps, but its just not neccesary).
neohe psu is inaudible.
sides always left off and there are no case fans.

current temps(anime in the background and some other stuff too, cpu- 40-50%):
cpu 26C
system 26C
gpu 40C
hd 36C

almost forgot, system specs:
venice 3000+ e6
abit kn8-sli
1gb kingston hyperx
xpertvision 7600gs
western digital 3200js
antec neohe 380w
antec super lanboy

now this is the best bit, mods (in aud$):
antec neohe psu - $130
hd suspension (foam, elastic) - $0
120mm fan bracket (meccano bits) - $0
2x fan extensions - $2

i finished it just now(120mm fan came in last).
slowing the gpu fan makes a huge difference, even at 5v it was audible, thats why i had to use the cpu fan header on the mobo and change the speed through software(its probably at about 3v now).
i was going to remove the stock fan and mount a quiet 92mm fan under it, but now i don't have to void the warranty and take of the heatsink and take off the fan etc.
suspending the hd stopped all vibrations and resonance of the case, previously a main contributor to noise- and it still comes out with the tray!
using the 120mm fan cools the chipset and ram better, and replaces a hardly audible whine(stock fan at 5V) with a hardly audible whoosh.
i've got a better hs, but the stock one seems good enough, and i don't have to risk any warranty issues.

he he. not too bad eh? (or is it too simple?)

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed May 31, 2006 3:26 am

aaarrgh.
the 120's whoosh is louder than i thought, when i reached under my desk and put my finger on it, it got a little quieter.

but it does somewhat drown out the hd.

damn western digital :evil:
even though its a brand new current generation drive, its still louder than my old seagate barracuda 4(the one they got sued by ibm for- lol).

the 120 also wobbles a bit, cause its only held in one corner - its kinda funny looking at it :lol: kinda like looking at someone who can't dance at all; try to dance.

bryzzz

Post by bryzzz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:20 pm

nice build, like all your creativity...

i currently have a spuer lanboy too...but today i put in the order for the p180b and seasonic 430 power supply... i like looking at all my expensive parts... but the noise and glaring LEDs would piss me off when i tried to sleep... its mostly the OCZ power supply i have but... to hell w/ it.. i been looking at the p180b everyday since it came out... i finally purchased it!

Chunker

Nice

Post by Chunker » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:01 pm

So, that's how you suspend a drive in the Lanboy case. I didn't think it could be done with such a narrow space.

Cool

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:06 pm

my pc is on 24/7 but its always kept in a hole between 2 desks.
my bed is to the right, so i can't see any light when i sleep.
the thing on top is my logitech thingy- it has an annoying blue led.
the small amout of blue coming through looks pretty cool.

the hd suspension works really well, i tried putting another tray under it with some foam for extra protection in case the elastic gave out, but the temps rose about 3C- probably because it was too close to the base of the hd, and i don't have active cooling.
now i just left the tray in there without the foam.
i was just getting a little paranoid after hearing that a 1" fall while operating can screw up the hd.

i'm considering soldering a resistor to the fan extension so i don't have to snake one up to the cpu header, but i'm too lazy.
what i really want is a pc i just turn on, and don't have to mess with anything.

porkchop

COMPLETE

Post by porkchop » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 am

no-one probably cares T_T, but here's my complete system:
detail of the hd fan:

changes:
cpu fan is now mounted from the top, less flex.
graphics card has a bigger fan now, stock fan was removed leaving only the hs. notice how its not completely covering the hs, thats because when it is, there's a noticable whirr.
hdd suspension improved and cooled now. fan easily rotates out of the way. hd are level and held in place by the elastic alone. took several tries to get the elastic to the right length. all 4 trays can be used at once now.
cpu now stays oced to 2.4ghz, 8x300mhz, stock voltage. primed for 26hrs- stable.
cpu fan at 12v
hdd fan at 7v
graphics card fan at 5v
MECCANO ROCKS.

sound:
inaudible from 2m.
loudest is the hdd and the cpu fan- 120mm@1200rpm.

current temps:
graphics card increased 2-3C
hdd dropped about 10C!!!!!!!!
cpu the same, maxed at 37C when priming.
i have images as proof, i can post them if anyone is interested.
cpu could reach 2.7ghz, but needs 1.56V.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:00 am

Wow, 22C CPU temp, that's lower than my ambient! The mounting for the hard drive fan is also very ingenious. :wink: