thermaltake armor first build (boy was i naive)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tyeh26

thermaltake armor first build (boy was i naive)

Post by tyeh26 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:05 pm

I decided to build one around september or august of '07 and it's been done for about a month:

specs:
Thermaltake armor w/ 25cm side fan
Abit in9 32x-wifi max 680i mobo
E6850 + Thermalright Ultra 120 + Noctua 800rpm
8800GT OCed + Accelero S1 (stock ram sinks)
Antec TPQ 850W power supply
2 x WD 320GBs
2 x Seagate 500GBs
Samsung dvd rw +- lightscribe
3 x yate loon 120mm low speed (2 intake, not that necessary, and 1 exhaust)
Sunbeam Rheobus
Creative Audigy 2 ZS (found it on craigslist for dirt cheap)

boy was i naive when i initially started getting parts. I found spcr early on, but i didn't heed it's warnings. The gamer part of me took ahold of me. Hence the Thermaltake armor (I was so going to get a p180... but the TT was on sale.....) Now i'm waiting for someone on craigslist to buy it :)

The power supply... it was on sale.. cheaper than a 620hx... my bad... should. 80mm fans are loud.

Harddrives.... First build.. and never really opened up desktops much... So all that "the computer is thinking" noise was actually the hard drives.... oh well I bought the 320gbs cheap and i can replace them with 2.5"s easily.

Other than that... all is well!

Just gotta find a way to replace my case with a lian li and buy a quiter PSU and do something to my hard drives.

My temps are pretty low. I don't know exactly what... i'd say low to mid 30s

Here's a pic. If you want some close-ups I can take more if you want. That random black molex plug on the top right is supposed to plug into the side 25cm fan, i would never leave something that ugly just hanging around.

mr_plow_king

Post by mr_plow_king » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 pm

4 hard drives are hard to silence but if you could find a way to suspend them, they would be much quieter.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: thermaltake armor first build (boy was i naive)

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:06 pm

tyeh26 wrote: I found spcr early on, but i didn't heed it's warnings.

. . .

Just gotta find a way to replace my case with a lian li and buy a quiter PSU and do something to my hard drives

. . .
Sound like you're still not willing to listen to spcr advice. :roll:

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:48 pm

aww c'mon lian li's look so much better than the p180 though!
My friend, who has a lian li, has an idea to replace a complete side of his case with a clear panel, to make the ultimate window. And i think it'd look pretty good, and lian li's side door latch implementation is really easy to take off and put onto a new side panel. What about the p180?

as for the hard drives. they're rarely accessed unless i'm watching a movie/music which... i can't hear the computer anyways.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:03 pm

tyeh26 wrote:aww c'mon lian li's look so much better than the p180 though!
My friend, who has a lian li, has an idea to replace a complete side of his case with a clear panel, to make the ultimate window. And i think it'd look pretty good, and lian li's side door latch implementation is really easy to take off and put onto a new side panel. What about the p180?

as for the hard drives. they're rarely accessed unless i'm watching a movie/music which... i can't hear the computer anyways.
the p180's side is how it is for a reason. it deadens sound that would otherwise travel through it.

i've looked at lian-li's. i'll agree they look good, however their airflow patterns are extremely awkward. you're better off with a different case, imo.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 pm

tyeh26---
Which 8800GT do you have.
I am planning to get one, and want to be sure that the S1 fits (no high caps).

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:50 pm

yeah, i did read about the composite sides, but i've been working on my computer so much recently i've left the side off. And after putting it back on, I don't hear a difference. (maybe because my side isn't composite... probably)

I have a xfx 8800GT I'd think that any big manufacturer's 8800GT is compatible (evga/xfx/msi/pny/and others) If there was a problem, you'd probably have read of it already...

my friend doesn't care a thing about silencing :( so I can't tell a thing about how much the case affects the noise... I'll look into a bit more... but some recent luck has landed me with some money (I'd like to thank Cisco for raffling off a free ipod touch to me, and screw ebay for major price deflation on resale). So i have the money for a lian li case... Anyways. I'll see, and read more and more on SPCR.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm

LongJan wrote:tyeh26---
Which 8800GT do you have.
I am planning to get one, and want to be sure that the S1 fits (no high caps).
just get the ECS one that comes with the S1 installed from factory.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:41 am

tyeh26 wrote:aww c'mon lian li's look so much better than the p180 though!
If you're set on the Lian Li "look," you could take a look at this thread, unless you're one of those who turns their nose up at the idea of a steel case frame.

It's the first Lian Li I've seen that I'd seriously consider buying - unlike the others with their bizarre and complicated airflow arrangements, it looks like it would work well out of the box, and with just a little work it could be made very quiet indeed.

Most photos don't really do the P182 justice incidentally, it does look much, much better "in the flesh" as it were, and as an overall design it has that exotic quality which makes it an object of desire rather than just a box to put your bits in. For all its acknowledged faults, it would still be my money-no-object choice...