Replaced my Mac Mini Server

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Matzon

Replaced my Mac Mini Server

Post by Matzon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:42 pm

I finally got all of the stuff I wanted - and was able to build my new server to replace the aging "ahem" Mac Mini (Core Duo, 1GB Ram).

I have replaced it with an Antec NSK 1380 case, with Gigabyte Motherboard (GA-G33M-DS2R), Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB Ram and a WD 120BEVS disk. All powered by a picopsu + 110W AC/DC. Using a Corsair Vindicator as Heatsink (Couldn't get a ninja, only ninja 2). Was a bit worried about the heatsink being too big, so went for something safe.

Drive suspended in some normal elastiband thingy - not sure this is safe for prolonged usage? - might dry up?

Single 120mm vindicator fan for output - seems noisy at full speed - not a problem at 5-600RPM. All vents sealed - intake through the CD drive slot (to get air moving close to disk).

haven't pushed it, so temps are probably at most 30% load:
CPU: 26c (must be a lm-sensors issue, coretemp doesn't support 45nm yet). Copper heatpipes on the heatsink are almost cold to the touch!
HDD: 34c
MB: 36c

No u-channel stuff - had to make something up. Was a pain to do but worked out in the end.

Hanging by a thread. Too fragile?

Closing it all up.

All in all I am very happy about the result. The server is much snappier and more silent than the mini (though it was pretty silent too). Worst part - having to order picopsu + ac brick from the states (p+p & tax).

More here: http://picasaweb.google.com/muuuhko/Nesquick

lowpowercomputing

Post by lowpowercomputing » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 pm

That looks good. Very interesting to hear that you can power your setup by the picopsu and a 110w brick; is it stable at full load? Is the CPU undervolted and/or underclocked? I assume you don't use an internal optical drive. Are any on-board components disabled? Do you have any power consumption figures?

Matzon

Post by Matzon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:33 pm

I honestly dont know what the drain is - but the fan on the ac/dc brick is supposed to turn on when > 90W, and it hasn't. I assume its probably near ~ 60-70.
Its default setup with no OC'ing or voltage changes. No optical drive - installed OS using USB Pen (ubuntu, netinstall). Nothing has been disabled onboard.

When I get a screen connected again, I will check for some component disabling and probably also undervolt it - but not before the end of the week.

lowpowercomputing

Post by lowpowercomputing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks for your answer, don't hurry, it isn't urgent. :) I'm thinking of a new main system with an E8400 as well and if I could run that off of a 120w picopsu that would be awesome.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 am

Perfect case for use with a pico, imo. Looks like a very quiet and efficient build. Nice job.

Btw it's an OCZ Vindicator and not a Corsair... not that it matters very much. :D