My Big Mess

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ross1

My Big Mess

Post by Ross1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:27 am

My last case was a p182, but it was getting a bit cramped after the 5th hard drive, so if I wanted anymore, a larger full tower case was required.

In the end I picked the Lian-Li PC-A77B. Mainly because:
-Holds 9 hard drives out of the box, with 6 5.25" drives still free!
-Build quality looked very good
-Fan controller looked useful
-The rubber anti-vibration grommets for the hard drives seemed adequate
-Lots of air-flow (At the very least, the potential for it)
-PSU can be put at the top or bottom
-Lots of room to fiddle about
-Removable motherboard tray

Feel like I should say a few things about my experience with the case, given its not been posted about too much on this site. Overall its a fantastic case, and well worth the ~£150 it cost. However, its main problems are:
-The power and reset buttons are too easy to press accidentally. In fact Ive been able to turn it off simply by pressing down around the side of the power button.... it is easily fixed by shaving half a millimeter off the switch, but it did prove annoying
-There is a hard drive module and the top where you would often find a hard drive. This module cannot be fitted above the two hard drive modules at the front, even though its exactly the same module... it lacks a supporting bracket that would have been incredibly easy to include.
-The fan controller. You dont actually have any real control over the fans, its all automatically done on temperature sensors that are supplied. However it doesnt really work, even if you put them all in a cold place, you dont see any of the fan speeds being reduced below the ~1200rpm mark. Also one of the temperature sensors went haywire in the middle of the night and the controller started making beeping noises until i turned the pc off. I no longer use any of the fan controller, its off.
-The front comes off a bit too easily. The clips could have been a bit more secure.
-The top is supposed to come off for 'easy access' However, to be able to take the top off, you need to take off both side panels, and the front, making the whole feature a bit pointless.
-That top hard drive module has screws in very arkward places. You need to take out the mobo tray in order to get at them.

But im very critical and really picking away at the case. I found more faults with the p182, thats for sure.

Onto my system....

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (you know the main difference between rev 1.0 and rev 2.0? its that the 2.0 has an spdif out header.... it annoying to find out yours doesnt have one when the digital coaxial out doesnt work)
CPU: E6750 (upped to 3.2ghz... just a small overclock but I notice the difference and dont feel its worth pushing further, although there is certainly room)
CPU cooler: scythe ninja (rev. B)
RAM: stupid ocz 800mhz ddr2 stuff. 4 1 gig sticks that like a ton of voltage and refuse to get down to CL4 despite them being listed as that.
Video card: 8800 GTS 512mb
Video card heatsink: Accelero S1 with an s-flex 1200rpm attached with some molex wire ;p (seriously, I cant imagine anyone wanting to use a stock heatsink again once youve tried something like the accelero out)
Hard drives: 4x 1TB samsung F1's, 3x 750GB samsung F1's, 2x 500GB samsung spinpoints. 3 of them are in external enclosures so you dont see them in the case.
Optical drive: Plextor PX-755A (ive been through a couple of other sata drives, both been awful. Always come straight back to my faithful plextor)
TV card: Hauppauge nova-t 500 (dual freeview tuner)
Mouse: Logitech G5
Keyboard: Cherry cymotion expert
Monitor: LG L226W
Some cheap pci-e double esata card
External sound card: EMU 0404 USB

Mods ive done: Front fans are voltmodded down to 7V, rear fans are voltmodded down to 5V. I know overall I have 7 fans, and its probably overkill. However the noise is now down to a level where other ambient noises are the problem (the 360, the fridge all the way downstairs, the building work next door :evil:), and it seems like too much work to mess around with fans in various positions and voltages, plus my brother nicked my other s-flexs and i might as well get them back before trying to find an optimal solution.

paxmate on the top and sides of the case. It has definitely helped reduce vibrations a fair bit, the side panels are very light and need something on them.

wait, this is a picture topic you say? sorry, here is the offending item:

those fans were spinning when i took that picture.

for a attempt at a silent gaming server music workstation HTPC, I think its tuned out pretty well ;) Im not sure what else I can do to it now, apart from chuck more hard drives in. For that i kinda need more sata ports however, so cue either a new mobo or raid controller.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:59 am

for a attempt at a silent gaming server music workstation HTPC, I think its tuned out pretty well
Some time ago I opted to seperate my machines, well at least the server.

If your considering a RAID card, then I would suggest a server, and a gaming PC. My server is up to 9 HDD's now, I cant imagine how noisy, difficult to cool, and cable manage it would be if if it was also my gaming PC as well.

If you are seriously considering a RAID card and a personal server, then you only need to buy a case (for your gaming PC), the RAID card, an entry level dual core CPU, RAM, cheap integrated graphics mobo and your done.

It does all add up, and is of questionable value, but if you are going to continue to add drives you will find it becomes even more difficult to manage.

Andy

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 am

Why did you remove the horizontal bracket in the top section?

bozar

Post by bozar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:20 am

Cable inferno! Nice case though, the ninja looks tiny.

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:42 pm

I have updated some of my components

GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (it had the most letters!)
phenom II X3 720 BE (only at 3.2ghz right now, waiting for a more mature BIOS)
IFX-14 (minus the hr10 which didnt fit. It thought it should of, but the mobo tray bracket caused a problem)
2x 2GB ddr3 1333mhz ram

the cables are *slightly* neater than before, but not much. As i said, sorta difficult with that many hard drives.

oh, just ordered 2x 1.5TB drives, a 8pin atx power extension (you can see tis climbing over that graphics card right now), and a 140mm fan to replace the CPU fan (900rpm should be fairly quiet, someone on here mentioned it was good too).

i have upgraditis and dont really want to be cured.
Last edited by Ross1 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:11 pm

why have a pullout keyboard tray on your desk if you dont use it?

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Fayd wrote:why have a pullout keyboard tray on your desk if you dont use it?
its not my desk, im in the room for the year and the desk came with the room. i have a nice big desk back at home.... but i doubt it would fit. Actually i remember having trouble getting it back in the car from ikea!

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:47 am

More messing around today....

http://rossaaa.googlepages.com/001.JPG

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 am

Another update...

http://rossaaa.googlepages.com/019.JPG

Got one of those new X25-m G2 160GB SSD's. Just put win 7 on it.

http://rossaaa.googlepages.com/WEI.png

however, i also managed to bork the bootmgr (i hate how windows puts the bootloader on the drive you dont want it to).

i also accidentally made a big mess of my spanned movies volume (2.5TB). currently running GDB and recovering everything. its not the the drives went bad, i just got confused which ones were which >_>

so that makes 9.4TB interal space, and i have 5TB hard drives not connected which are backups. Once my drives are up properly ill take a screenshot.

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:44 pm

latest update.....

installed a seasonic x-750.... added a couple of hard drives.

the other thing i did.... ive got a 5850. For a stock reference cooler, its quite quiet, but you can still hear it compared to the scythe ninja on an accelero S1. I considered swapping back, but ive given the old card to my brother and i doubt he would let me have it back. The sooner they come out with an accelero for the 58xx series, the better. My set up has become 'un-silent' for the time being.

as for HD space... that should take me up to 14TB of active internal drives. Then ive got more hard drives that sit in a drawer acting as back up. Those two top hard drives connected to the pci sata card are there temporarily. that via card is utterly useless.... it may be i need to invest in a decent pci-e sata card, but they are quite expensive.

tufish

Post by tufish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 am

aren't does hdd temps a little low? where did u kept them? what are your room temperatures ?

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:40 am

tufish wrote:aren't does hdd temps a little low? where did u kept them? what are your room temperatures ?
ill do an updated one:

now, it is far from warm in my room. i dont have the heating on, so its probably between 10-15C. However, i still find the samsung low temps suspicious. they have always seemed to report 5-10C lower than the 'real' temp of the hard drive. ive highlighted the one i actually think may have some merit. the 44C ones are all on the same jmicron controller, which doesnt let them report smart sata either, so those are bollocks too.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:36 am

Ross1 wrote:it may be i need to invest in a decent pci-e sata card, but they are quite expensive.
They are?

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Monkeh16 wrote:
Ross1 wrote:it may be i need to invest in a decent pci-e sata card, but they are quite expensive.
They are?
yeah, i would want more than a dual port. 8 ports minimum would be what I was looking for, otherwise it just doesnt leave much room for expansion.

I ordered a AOC-SASLP-MV8 when scan said they had it in stock, but it ended up that it wasnt. Havent found any other pci-e 8 port sata card that is close to that price.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 am

Ross1 wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:
They are?
yeah, i would want more than a dual port. 8 ports minimum would be what I was looking for, otherwise it just doesnt leave much room for expansion.

I ordered a AOC-SASLP-MV8 when scan said they had it in stock, but it ended up that it wasnt. Havent found any other pci-e 8 port sata card that is close to that price.
Then you're looking at large (and crap, if it's a Marvell controller, like the above) scale controllers, which really aren't cheap. Try port multipliers instead.

Yoshimitsu

Post by Yoshimitsu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:15 am

Nice PC man, and WOW thats alot of HDD space :shock:

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 pm

updated... got an 8 port controller now, it can do hardware raid ( Intel SRCSATAWB )

So now Ive got 10 hard drives and an SSD in there.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Just a quick comment,
why can't you take out the 3.5" converters and suspend all the drives from the 5.25" bays, instead of hard mounting?