3480 ala Swed, small, fast and quiet

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

swed

Post by swed » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:14 am

I'm afraid I don't have any equipment to measure power consumption.
This rig is quieter with the panels of than the SG-03 was with it's panels on :).

Swed

swed

Post by swed » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:27 am

Pegar wrote:Any chance for a second 120mm fan in the front? The pictures seem to say "no" but I'll ask anyway.
Hello Pegar!
I'm sorry fore the wrong answer I gave you before, you can use 2x120 mm in the front if you don't use the 3,5" place.

Swed

mexell

Post by mexell » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:34 am

Hi,

I really envy your mod. I just recently got a new toy from my boss - I was allowed to build myself a Photoshop box (Q9400, 8GB Ram, two Samsung 750GB drives, Antec 3480) and I have to say, it's nowhere near as clean as yours. I was always intrigued by the idea to have a full-blown yet silent gaming rig enclosed in a tiny 3480 - you show it's possible. My next private build will be inspired by yours.

What was quite annoying with my build: Antec swapped over the PSU, so that the main ATX power cable reaches the mainboard better. But now the first connectors as seen from the PSU on the SATA power cables don't reach any SATA device mounted in the upper bay, neither DVD nor HDD. If I flip over the PSU, the ATX cable doesn't reach the mainboard anymore. So I had to buy an ugly Molex->SATA adapter.

A sidenote: The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 just fits in this case, with about a mm of clearance to the compartment wall when using the Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mainboard.

falken

Post by falken » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:58 am

Wow ! - this is impressive - I have hade second toughts about this case - but now I know this is what I need - I am about to build a small home server that will be running 24x7.

I have two questions that would clear my last worries:

1. - Is there any chance of fitting 2 standard sata drives in this system?
2. - would the Thermalright HR-01 work "fairly OK" without the CPU fan... (i am running a AMD x2 4400+ - I guess the only way to find out is for me to try...:)

also is the front fan realy needed? (stupid question maybe - but as far as I can see you do not have that many other components in the casing.

Thank you for sharing this excellent mod!!

swed

Post by swed » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:52 pm

falken wrote:Wow ! - this is impressive - I have hade second toughts about this case - but now I know this is what I need - I am about to build a small home server that will be running 24x7.

I have two questions that would clear my last worries:

1. - Is there any chance of fitting 2 standard sata drives in this system?
2. - would the Thermalright HR-01 work "fairly OK" without the CPU fan... (i am running a AMD x2 4400+ - I guess the only way to find out is for me to try...:)

also is the front fan realy needed? (stupid question maybe - but as far as I can see you do not have that many other components in the casing.

Thank you for sharing this excellent mod!!
Thanks alot for the praise!

I'll try to answer your questions:
* If you dont need the 3,5" place to a card reader or something, you could put on there, and in the bottom of the case, theres a place for one, if you don't have as big GPU-cooler as I have.
* I don't no how much heat a 4400+ put out, but I doubt it's as much as my Q6600 and the HR-01 plus handles mine in stock speed, passive whithout any problems (<60 degrees in load).
* The front fan is probebly not needed in most cases, but an overclocked 8800GT, with a passive cooler need some airflow to work.

As you can see one my pictures theres not much space between my HR-01 and the PSU-wall, so I sugest that you look up the "CPU-socket placement" on your mobo closely.

Swed

swed

Post by swed » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 am

Did some testing this weekend:

* The frontfan drops GPU-temp with ~10 degrees, now I'm at <50 idle and round 70 load, and I can't hear the front fan, it's runing 550-600rpm controlled by the mobo.
* Tried to move the Nexus PWM-fan to the back and to have no fan on the heatzink, but that's not good, the CPU-temp raised to ~60 idle and 79-80 in load (Q6600, 8x400, 1,5v bios/1,39v CPU-Z), and when the Nexus go abow ~1000rpm you can hear it when it sits in the back.

I'm gone run like this!
* Front and rear fan Noctua S12-800 controlled by the mobo, runs at 550-600 as long as the mobo don't get to hot, then they rise to 800.
* Nexus PWM-fan on the heat-zink, controlled by the mobo, in the silent mode it runs at ~800 and rise to ~1400 at max.

Now the rig runs fairly cool and quiet.
The only fan you can hear the is the CPU-fan, if you toast the CPU and when the fan rise abow ~1200 you can start to hear it. In al ordinary tasks you can't hear them.
The harddrive you can hear when it seeks if you're near the chassi.

The temps are as following (max-temps):
* CPU, 54 degrees
* GPU, ~70 degrees
* HD, 32-35 degrees

The PSU I don't know any temps, but the fan is running at ~1100 in idle, ~1400 when playing a game and 1800-2000 (max) when the rig is stresed maximum.

I'm pleased, and gone stay like this, at least fore a while ;)!

Swed
P.S. I'll probebly do a Vdrop mod sone.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:03 am

[quote="swed"]Then comes the “edge cunningâ€