Silencing a Silverstone TJ03....what are your ideas/opinions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Audiophiliac

Silencing a Silverstone TJ03....what are your ideas/opinions

Post by Audiophiliac » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:35 pm

Just as the title states. I like big open cases like the TJ03 (although I have been looking at the TJ04). But with the right motivation, I would be willing to spend almost $250 for this case. :) It would house a nForce 4 Ultra board, A64 3200 90NM, possibly Silverstone powder fanless heatpipe cooler, a seagate 120GB SATA, 400GB SATA drives, X300 passively cooled ASUS graphics card. The 400GB drive would eventually be put into the server that is in the works as well...which wont need to be quiet (as quiet I should say). So what are your experiences/opinions on the quiet potential of the TJ03? The intake looks a bit restrictive. The 80mm exhaust fans arent probably as ideal as a single 120 would be. The top exhaust might aid a fanless PSU to help heat escape. What else? It is just sooo beautiful someone has to try to tame this beast :) Lets hear it! Give me enough pep and I will go out and buy one of these bad boys :)

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:18 pm

I just build a system using the Silverstone TJ03, you can check out the picture right here. I am using very similar components that you have in mind.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18479

About the case quiteness, notice most my components are already silent part. (Powersupply, chipset heatsink, video card heatsink, quite DVD rom drive) However, since there are 5 fan spinning in it(3 80mm and 2 120mm), I am disappointed to report that it is not that quite, I can still hear the system noise at 1 feet, it is however bearable noise level. I am gonna try getting those Nexus 120mm fan and see how much improvement it can be. If you want a real silent system, Antec Sonata or Antec 180 are probably the safest bet to go. This case is really more about the look. But then again I seriously doubt you can find any other case that looks this good. If you got the cash, you might wanna try go all watercooling setup, which would make it almost dead silent except the harddrive or DVD drive. :wink:

parisjohan

Post by parisjohan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:11 am

Hi Yamamoto56!

I'm having second thought about the TJ03 when it comes to all that noise. I agree that when it comes to looks, it's amazing, but as it is now, I just can't decide whether I should go for the Lian Li PC-V2000 or the TJ03. Both have their pros and cons. A bit too many fans on the TJ03 (why coudln't they have gone for a 120mm instead of 2 80 mms at the rear :x ?!), and for the V2000, I'm a bit worried about dust getting in and noise coming out due to those mesh holes at the front and rear. Does anyone have any opinion on this. I know there are loads of threads out there about the V2000, but there seems to be just as many differing opinions as threads :? !

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:57 pm

hehe I hear your concern. I hate dust as well, but I don't think even the TJ03 is good enough to seal all the dust. As long as there are holes, I think dust is inevitable. Silverstone should of updated this case into a 120mm case, I dunno what they are thinking when they design it. You will end up spending well above 330 if you go with TJ03, because you have to change all the fan inside(3x 80mm), and buy 3x fanmate to quite it further, and you also need 2 quite 120mm fan, one for the front, and one on the cpu. You can achieve dead silent state with this setup. But if you don't mind waiting a bit longer, do try to read the New Antec 180 case review when it comes out. The design on that case seems to be really superb while looks good enough for most people.

I have no idea about the Lian-Li V2000 case, but I bet it will have more dust than the TJ03 later on. Since both of them cost 250 above, I perfer the Silverstone case due to the look, hehe just can't resist it :D , plus the interior design of v2000 looks too messy to me.

For the looks, there are only 2 other cases I would consider at the current time, the Lian Li 6077, as well as the Coolermaster Wavemaster

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 043&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 023&depa=1

They cost alot less than the TJ03, probably close to 120. However, both of them are older design using the 80mm fan.