Centurion 5/530 or Antec P160

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Brue

Centurion 5/530 or Antec P160

Post by Brue » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:24 am

Which would be a better choice for a silent/cool system? A coolermaster centurion 5 or a 530 or a Antec P160? Or are there any alternatives but <10 kg?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:58 am

Hello,

I don't think that it would be very easy to make a quiet and cool system with either of those cases.

The Evercase 4252 is 18-20 lbs (8.2-9.1KG), according to their site:
http://www.evercase.com/newsite/2product/index4252.htm
...and it certainly can easily be used to make a quiet and cool system.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:39 am

I think Brue (in another thread) is trying to buy from Singapore (where are you from, by the way?) and mentioned that he probably will not be able to find the Evercase.

I don't have any experience with the P160. I took a look at it in the store and decided I don't want to have anything to do with it, but purely from a cosmetic standpoint.

I do have a Centurion 5, and with careful component selection it is fairly quiet. It's a steel case, though - not sure if it is below 10kg. Try to get it without the PSU.

My (relatively minor) mods to it:

1. Cut out rear grill
2. Rest HDD at bottom of case on two strips of Sorbothane
3. Soft mount rear fan (EAR isolators)
4. Removed front (intake) fan
5. Replaced PSU (with Seasonic S12-430)

My main complain about the C5 is the inability to remove the drive bay in order to suspend the drive properly. The 530 fixed that limitation.

Read the review of the C5 and P160. They're both on the main site.

On my C5, the HDD and CPU are cooler by a few degrees C compared to the P180 (exact same components). The P180 is probably slightly quieter, esp. now that it's only running 1 case fan, but the difference is hard to tell. If you don't have the front facing you when you sleep (I think you mentioned that it will be in your room running 24/7) with quiet components, you should be OK.

Brue

Post by Brue » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Right I may not be able to get the Evercase casing in Singapore..I am from Brunei btw, believe you never heard of it?

I dont feel like getting the 5 mainly because I dont want anything to do with cutting grills.

I've already both reviews and imo P160 suits me better.

How's the Centurion 531?
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?L ... rion%20531

Here's a list of what I believe can be found in Singapore
http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/p ... .php?id=29

Also I think that my components are quiet enough?
A64 3500+ Venice - stock replaced with Thermalright XP-90 paired with a Nexus 92mm fan

MSI K8N Neo 4-F (maybe SLI Platinum or the nf4 Platinum) - nb replaced with Zalman ZM-NB47J

PC 3200/400 Corsair CL2.5 1GB

Samsung P120 200GB

MSI NX6600GT - stock replaced with Zalman VF700

Benq DW1640 16x DVD+-RW

Antec True Power 480W v2

The only thing thats noisy is the powersupply..maybe i'll get the Enermax Noisetaker..how's their psu?

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:11 am

The only thing thats noisy is the powersupply..maybe i'll get the Enermax Noisetaker..how's their psu?
Not as quiet as the name suggests. Not sure what's available to you in Singapore (I for one have sailed right by Brunei numerous times), but the Seasonics are highly recommended of late, for exceptional efficiency, stability, and quietness.

It's really a positive feedback loop in operation. The high efficiency minimizes heat dissipation within the PSU, so the fans don't have to run as much/fast, so being cooler it's also quieter.

As for what is and isn't available in Singapore, if you know someone who works at the Sembawang base they should all have APO mailing addresses, and numerous online retailers will ship APO, often with a discount on the shipping charges.

Brue

Post by Brue » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:20 am

I dont know anyone who lives around Sembawang, so I cant do that. I cant really get a Seasonic, I'll have to just stick with the Enermax or Antec. Which do you suggest?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:51 pm

Well, cutting out the grills is optional. It helps a little, but you don't really have to do it. But it seems like you have your decision made about the case.

I recall that the Sultan of Brunei was once the richest man in the world. Is the Brunei dollar still pegged to the Singapore dollar, and accepted in Singapore?

Brue

Post by Brue » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:59 pm

Yeah our Sultan was. The Brunei dollar is still pegged to the Singapore dollar, but its not accepted in most of the stores there. But its not really a problem either, just change the currency. S$ is accepted here in all stores as long as they are not torn.

I found a casing which looks pretty good
http://www.hec-group.jp/products/case_6au6.html

It looks like a SLK3000B, but I cant find one here. This is available at a price of S$95

Click on this image in their site for snapshots of the casing

From what I can make out of the wordings,
Size: W210×H465×D475mm
Weight: 11.19 kg (including their default 350W psu)
11 drive bays:
4 external 5.25"
2 external 3.5"
5 internal 3.5"
Motherboard: Full ATX/Micro ATX
2 120mm rear/front fans:
Globe 120mm Model No. S1202512L
Control panel:
USB2.0 x 2
IEEE1394 x 1
Mic-in x 1
Headphone x 1
comes with 2 air filters

How's their PSU? It's a HEC-350 LD-T ..how do i calculate how much power do I need? Is 350W sufficient?

You can also use systransoft.com to translate the page.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:43 pm

You're right, looks like an SLK clone, right down to the steel post that stabilizes the case and the mounting for the HDD cage. Unfortunately, the rear grill looks more restrictive than the SLK3000B, and the intakes (crucial for a cool case) aren't pictured. If you can see the case in person, try and get photos of the intake and exhaust vents.

Brue

Post by Brue » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:08 pm

Yeah someone told me that
If you get the 6AU6, I would suggest you cut away the front and rear grills for better airflow.

Note that, even after cutting away the front grill, the front fan is blocked a bit by the plastic of the front bezel. The plastic lies flat against the metal and covers part of the fan.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:53 pm

I've seen similar clone here in Bangkok. The main problem is the plastic front bezel. Opening for air intake there is more like a series of slit rather than a full opening in SLK 3000B.

In the linked picture, you can see it in picture 4. Going to be tough for air intake, unfortunately.

xarope

Post by xarope » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:04 pm

The P180 is available in Singapore (note I'm in Singapore too), although if you are after bling then this may not be the case for you.

I do have a CM5, as well as a P180. hands down the P180 is quieter (I'd assume that's why you are frequenting this forum anyway?). The CM5 has oodles of ventilation, so it would be substancially harder to quieten.

The P160 by comparison I would think is worse than either of the abovementioned, the Al panels were even flimsier than the superflower Al case I switched from.

[edit]
hmm <10kg... you are not leaving yourself much of a choice... any particular reason why? I'll admit, I used to be of that frame of mind as well (lighter the better) but having switched to the P180 I'm happy with the weight of that case now.

I use an enermax noisetaker 470W in the P180, and a tagan 400W in the CM5. The tagan runs hotter and louder than the enermax, but there are so many differences between the cases... (Athlon 2500+ versus AMD643200, PSU location top versus bottom etc).
[/edit]

Brue

Post by Brue » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:06 am

The thing about P180 is that it is too large and heavy for me. If I add in components, it'll be like 18kg?!

I think if I carry it, I wont be able to see where I am going. I tried weighing my old casing and it weighs 15kg i think, found out it's not really that heavy. Can change from <10 to maybe avg 15kg w components.

xarope

Post by xarope » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:25 pm

how often do you plan to carry it? :shock:

bout the only 'PC's I carry often are the laptops, the desktops tend to stay put. Of course, I don't lan game much...

if you are looking for lan gaming, then maybe you should consider an matx form factor, rather than mid-full tower. Don't try to do too much with just one PC.

Brue

Post by Brue » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Well just for that particular trip :lol:

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:58 am

I think the P180 is worth considering. I've never had any problem with any airline with luggage up to 30 kgs on economy ticket (eventhough they say 20 kgs is the limit). Unless of course you're planning other major shopping as well. :wink:

I'll be in KL in the next 3 weeks, and plan to look for Antec case too since they have it there but not in Bangkok.

Edit: **AntecRep please note a strong hint here :wink: **

Brue

Post by Brue » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:33 am

Weight for the p180 is not a problem but the size of it :wink:
I think i'll just stick with the Centurion 5 but wont mod it, maybe just replace the fans with nexus 120mm and 80mm.

Cooler Master

Centurion 530

Post by Cooler Master » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 pm

Hi Brue

If you can get it, the Centurion 530 is, IMHO, the best value/built Coolermaster case available right now. I picked it up for $95 in Australia, and built a *dead-silent* PC with it.

I'm currently running 6 (yes six) fans (2x 120mm case fans, 1x 120mm HDD fan, 1x 120mm CPU fan, 1x 120mm PSU fan and 1x 80mm VGA fan) and can't hear it at all sitting at my desk. If my monitors are off, I have to check the case to make sure the PC is on. Admittedly all my fans (bar the CPU fan) run at 7V or 5V, and 5 of the fans are Coolermaster fans, which I find among the quietest fans available (the other is the 80mm Zalman fan on the VF700 cooler at 5V).

I haven't used the Centurion 531 or the Antec P160.

BTW, despite my SPCR nickname, I don't work for or have any affiliation with Coolermaster :wink:

Cheers,
CM

Brue

Post by Brue » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:19 am

Amazing, six fans and still quiet? I had my eyes on that at first, but after reading more, most had complaints about the front intake, restrictive airflow. I'd rather get this since the fans are 120mm fans, btw any comments on the fans which came with the casing? I am thinking of changing them to nexus.

Cooler Master

Post by Cooler Master » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:42 am

Hi Brue

Yep, six and quiet.

First, about the front intake. Are you sure you were reading up on the Centurion 530? The reason I got the 530 was the excellent front intake. All the covers on the front are vented, so basically the entire front of the case serves as an intake (same covers used in the Stacker cases). Every cover also had a dust filter, so while the air goes in, the dust stays out.

In addition the 530 has side vents over the VGA area, and a duct over the CPU. I've covered the VGA vent (because it isn't dust protected), and added a dust filter to the duct (easy to do).

The only "problem" with having such an "open" front is that it also lets sound out. That's why you MUST have silent fans in there, preferably undervolted. These are the fans I use:

1. Intake - Coolermaster 120mm Blue LED silent fan (this fan comes standard with the case). Running at 7V (950RPM)

2. Exhaust - same fan. Case doesn't come with it, so you need to buy it separately. 7V. A Nexus will work fine too, but the Coolermaster is 1/3 the price and almost as quiet. At 7V it's inaudible.

3. Coolermaster 120mm silent case fan (black). This fan comes with the Coolermaster 4-in-3 hard drive bay which I added to the case. Keeps the hard drives cool, decouples the drives from the case (keeps them quiet - but not silent), and blows air over the CPU area too (bonus). Running at 7V, so silent.

4. Zalman CNPS 7700AlCU CPU cooler, modded with a Coolermaster 120mm LED fan. I'll soon be posting photos of this mod on this forum, so keep watching. At 12V it's quieter than the Zalman stock fan at 5V, pushes much more air, and looks great too. This is the only fan running full speed.

5. Zalman VF700 VGA cooler. I've kept the Zalman fan here because at 5V (silent mode) it really is silent. Keeps my GeForce 6600 nice and cool too.

6. Coolermaster 450W Real Power PSU. This PSU uses a rifle bearing 120mm fan. SPCR reviews call it noisy above a certain point. I can't hear it at all, even at full load.

So, bear in mind with noisy components, there may be other cases that will "hide" the noise better, but if you're vigilent about getting quiet components and cooling them with silent fans, this case gives you great airflow that allows you to run your fans nice and slow and still very cool.

Good luck,
gL

sean10mm

Post by sean10mm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:00 am

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if I was trying to make a lightweight system that was quiet, I'd look at an Antec Super Lanboy instead of the P160. With a good quiet PSU and some quiet 120mm fans, it should fit the bill pretty well. Not as quiet as steel, of course, but then again if weight is a factor, you are almost by definition accepting more noise.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:40 am

Cooler Master---> No offence, but you must have pretty high ambient noise where you live.

I have a P180 with four fans, one 120mm nexus at 5V in the psu chamber, one Cooler Master UV Green at 5V at the top, the AC Freezer cpu fan at 600rpm and a 80mm Nexus fan at 900rpm blowing at the chipset, and i can still clearly hear the computer from a few meters away. Its certainly not loud by any standards, but the ambient noise in our apartment is almost non existant so i can hear it.

Cooler Master

Post by Cooler Master » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi nici

I thought so too at first, but that's not the case 8) We live in suburban Sydney, surrounded by forests, so at night it's quiet enough for me to hear the faintest sounds.

If I were to get very critical, I'd say at 1m from the PC there's a hint of wind noise, but just a hint, most likely from the PSU vent at the back of the PC. And it's only there if you strain to hear it (my case sits in a cavity beneath my desk). Nothing that can't be silenced with a good PSU silencer. But other than that it is very, very quiet, virtually silent.

When I started my silencing "project" about a month ago, all I wanted was a quieter CPU fan. I didn't ever envision spending hundreds of dollars on new cases, silent fans, insulating foam and cable management. But a month later that's exactly what I've done. Ironically most of the foam I got was used in my previous case, a Coolermaster Cavalier 1. While quiet, that case got way too hot because of its poor airflow. With the new case I've used very little foam (mainly around the drive cage) and added a couple of fans for low voltage cooling.

I got what people on this forum call the silencing bug :shock: Believe me when I say I slept very little configuring and reconfiguring my case, and then sitting at close distances to spot the slightest noise while watching the temps on the PC. It's been painful to watch, but the end result is worth it.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'll be posting photos and descriptions of the project on SPCR soon.

Then again, maybe I'm just hard of hearing, or am less sensitive to certain frequencies :? Seven years of marriage can do that to you :wink:

CM

nici

Post by nici » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:49 pm

Cooler Master wrote:And it's only there if you strain to hear it (my case sits in a cavity beneath my desk).
Yes the cavity beneath the desk might also help a bit. i have my computer on the desk, 20cm from my head :wink:
Cooler Master wrote: I got what people on this forum call the silencing bug :shock: Believe me when I say I slept very little configuring and reconfiguring my case, and then sitting at close distances to spot the slightest noise while watching the temps on the PC. It's been painful to watch, but the end result is worth it.
Yes... Well i have about... 5½ hours left, untill i have to get up and take the car to the dealer for some service and get to school. And here i am, with my hair getting stuck in fans and thinking of different fan configurations :lol:
Cooler Master wrote: Then again, maybe I'm just hard of hearing, or am less sensitive to certain frequencies :? Seven years of marriage can do that to you :wink:

CM
Yes that might also be true :lol: