Acoustipack alternative (Melamine)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Sat May 10, 2003 12:50 pm

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Well, the shipping on the four sheets I ordered was only ~$6 to my US address. These sheets weight next to nothing.
If you want, I'll go to the Icelandic post office and find out how much shipping would be to Sweden and let you know.
Thanks, that would be great. :o

Raygun

Post by Raygun » Sun May 11, 2003 4:45 am

MrMajestic wrote:I wonder what the shipping to Sweden would cost?
Maybe we could make a group purchase and have it shipped to Sweden?

p5

Post by p5 » Sun May 11, 2003 8:19 am

anyone know of a place to get this stuff in the UK?

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Sun May 11, 2003 9:28 am

Raygun wrote:
MrMajestic wrote:I wonder what the shipping to Sweden would cost?
Maybe we could make a group purchase and have it shipped to Sweden?
Its possible. The problem is that you dont know the shipping until it ships

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun May 11, 2003 9:48 am

Well, I know what it'd cost to ship to me...dirt cheap! Tomorrow I'll find out how much it'll be to ship to sweden. I've got two sheets left but I might just hold on to them for another project. I don't mind ordering more and then shipping them on to sweden. But maybe we should wait until I find out the difference in shipping costs.

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Sun May 11, 2003 11:27 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Well, I know what it'd cost to ship to me...dirt cheap! Tomorrow I'll find out how much it'll be to ship to sweden. I've got two sheets left but I might just hold on to them for another project. I don't mind ordering more and then shipping them on to sweden. But maybe we should wait until I find out the difference in shipping costs.
Yeah, no panic. Got my eyes on some nice EAR grommets and fanmounts too :)

twigilicious

Post by twigilicious » Mon May 12, 2003 3:31 pm

Many thanks for the trial Mr_Smartepants. I will be looking to outfit my noisy SX1030 with some of this stuff.

Great price too! :D :D

NeilBlanchard

McMaster-Carr still has the melmine sheets on B/O

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 12, 2003 6:44 pm

Hello:

The shipping date for my 5 sheets of melamine foam sheets keeps getting bumped up 2 days -- about every two days... :cry:

NeilBlanchard

McMaster-Carr DID ship me my isolators

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 12, 2003 8:10 pm

Hello:
Radeonman wrote:I have two places now (bestbyte and McMaster) where I have orders that have gone through on the credit card but that haven't shipped. I dislike that, it makes me itch and feel fraudy.
McMaster-Carr did ship me my isolators very quickly (2-3 days?) so I tend to think they are going to get us the melamine sheets -- eventually... :roll:

gbass01

Post by gbass01 » Tue May 13, 2003 7:19 am

How much did McMaster charge for that isolators shipment to your location, NeilBlanchard? I assume they'd fit into a smallish USPS envelope.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue May 13, 2003 7:48 am

gbass01 wrote:How much did McMaster charge for that isolators shipment to your location, NeilBlanchard? I assume they'd fit into a smallish USPS envelope.
I ordered a bag of the isolators and 10ft of rubber edging and shipping to VA was about 4.50 (give or take a quarter). It was about the same amount when I ordered 10ft of shock cord, 10ft of rubber edging and a pack of 50 cable tie anchors. I think McMaster ships everything in a box since both of the small orders I've placed with them, though they would have fit in an envelope, came in a box.

wu299

Post by wu299 » Tue May 13, 2003 8:47 am

I ordered 2 sheets of melamine on 5/5 that shipped on 5/9 and I received the package yesterday evening. As soon as I finished my latest CS project, I set to installing the foam, so I thoguht I'd add my experience to this thread.

Prior to installing the foam, I had gotten my case fairly quiet. From about 3 or 4 yards away, I could no longer hear the fans, but there was a very distinctive WD whine coming from SPCR's least favorite HDD.

After the installation (I have a Sonata too and pretty much just copied Mr_Smartepants setup), The fan noise was definitely lessened to the point where you don't even notice the noise from around 5 feet away. Also, the WD whine was drastically reduced. I can still hear it when I'm sitting at my desk (with the computer under the desk), but from two The noise from my pioneer DVD drive when in use is also much softer. I haven't really had a perfectly quiet room to myself to really do listening tests, but so far i'm REALLY pleased.

The temperatures in my system actually haven't changed at all since I added the foam. I was running folding overnight and my temps are 44C/29C for cpu/motherboard, which if anything is 2-3C degrees cooler on the CPU side than before.

All of this and I actually haven't foamed the front door or any of the empty drive bays. I was considering taking out the front intake fan, because I figured with the side intake holes covered, it would bring more air in through the front of the case to cool the HDDs, but given that I can't hear the difference between having the fan on/off, I think I'll just leave it alone.

All in all, a very good experience with the melamine. In case anyone is interested, it cost me 10.39 total for 2 pieces of foam. So shipping to L.A. cost about $4.50 which seems pretty reasonable.

Raygun

Post by Raygun » Tue May 13, 2003 9:48 am

MrMajestic wrote:I wonder what the shipping to Sweden... <snip>
Illbruk, the maker of the foam, actually have a reseller in Sweden. I received this address from their customer support.

TTS Scandinavia AB
BOX 1007
SE - 40521 Goteborg
Sweden
Phone: 0046 / 85 97 980 - 60
Fax.: 0046 / 85 97 980 - 01

I haven't contacted them yet. So I do not know if they sell this particular product or in small quantities. If they do carry the melamine foam good news, otherwise they seem to have a few alternatives.

Their website: http://www.illbruck.com/en/

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Tue May 13, 2003 10:47 am

Raygun wrote:
MrMajestic wrote:I wonder what the shipping to Sweden... <snip>
Illbruk, the maker of the foam, actually have a reseller in Sweden. I received this address from their customer support.

TTS Scandinavia AB
BOX 1007
SE - 40521 Goteborg
Sweden
Phone: 0046 / 85 97 980 - 60
Fax.: 0046 / 85 97 980 - 01

I haven't contacted them yet. So I do not know if they sell this particular product or in small quantities. If they do carry the melamine foam good news, otherwise they seem to have a few alternatives.

Their website: http://www.illbruck.com/en/
Wow, nice work dude. Let me know your findings.

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Tue May 13, 2003 1:02 pm

Radeonman wrote:UPS showed up with my melamine today 8)
You bastard, hope you choke on it :lol:

NeilBlanchard

Pretty cheap

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 13, 2003 1:14 pm

Hello:
gbass01 wrote:How much did McMaster charge for that isolators shipment to your location, NeilBlanchard? I assume they'd fit into a smallish USPS envelope.
They charged me $3.56 for USPS -- I got 2 packs of 20. I'm sure the padded envelope weighed more than the contents. It got to me in 2 days, or maybe 3.

BTW, they have NOT yet charged me for the melamine sheets -- nice, since they are backordered...

gbass01

Post by gbass01 » Tue May 13, 2003 10:44 pm

aphonos wrote:I ordered a bag of the isolators and 10ft of rubber edging and shipping to VA was about 4.50 (give or take a quarter). It was about the same amount when I ordered 10ft of shock cord...
What kind of rubber edging? How thick/soft? What was the item#?
What's a shock cord?

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Wed May 14, 2003 4:34 am

The Shock Cord is equivalent to a bungecord or atleast what I found on McMaster.

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Sat May 17, 2003 5:12 pm

Some of you mention isolators. What isolators are you talking about? Are you referring to mounts for fans, or actual isolators placed under the case?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Mon May 19, 2003 8:51 am

gbass01 wrote:
aphonos wrote:I ordered a bag of the isolators and 10ft of rubber edging and shipping to VA was about 4.50 (give or take a quarter). It was about the same amount when I ordered 10ft of shock cord...
What kind of rubber edging? How thick/soft? What was the item#?
What's a shock cord?
Shock cord is bungee cord without the bungee name (trademark?)

Regarding edging, I originally bought (www.mcmaster.com page 3428) 8507K12 but once I had it installed, I realized it pushes up against the fan, coupling the fan to the case despite using isolators to mount the fan. The rubber is harder than the isolators, so I wondered about vibrations transferring to the case. I use undervolted NMB fans, so there is not a lot of vibration to begin with....but, I ordered 8510K11 because it is thinner. I haven't had time (and probably won't for a few weeks) to install the edging yet, so I can't report on its fit, but it is definately thinner and hopefully will leave some gap between the case and fan while covering my rough, nibbler-cut case edge.

NeilBlanchard

my melamine foam sheets arrived today!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 19, 2003 11:03 am

Hello:

Well, my foam sheets arrived today via UPS -- I have not had a chance yet to install them...

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Tue May 20, 2003 11:56 am

Does anyone know if this can be safely applied close to electronics? I think it looks like the guy put it right behind his motherboard but I want to be sure. I would be padding my HDD with it and since it has an exposed bottom I dont want to go frying the thing.

Thank you ahead of time! :D

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue May 20, 2003 12:03 pm

I don't know if you can see from the pictures but I did NOT put the foam between the motherboard and the motherboard tray. I DID put the foam between the motherboard tray and the right side case panel (and everywhere else). :D
I wanted air circulating under my motherboard to cool the backside of the CPU socket.

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Tue May 20, 2003 6:24 pm

Does Melamine allow airflow? If so I would put in front of the grills on my Chieftec. i cant find specs on the website...

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Tue May 20, 2003 6:36 pm

Cheap losers, they wont say how much they charge for shipping. How much did they charge you guys? Please? Thanks!

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue May 20, 2003 6:58 pm

Athlon Powers wrote:Cheap losers, they wont say how much they charge for shipping. How much did they charge you guys? Please? Thanks!
Read the posts above in the thread you just posted in for some folks' experiences with shipping rates, as well as this thread: McMaster shipping prices + labelling on fan isolators