Case With Good Manual

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

BigCTM

Case With Good Manual

Post by BigCTM » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:53 pm

I am getting ready to start my first build and I am amazed at the number of cases made without manuals. I would like a case with detailed step by step instructions with pictures and cautions but I guess that's asking too much. The best one I have seen is the manual for the Gigabyte Aurora. Would like something a little cheaper...Any ideas?

nici

Post by nici » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:29 pm

I agree that cases usually have crappy manuals, thats most likely because the ccase itself doesnt need any assembling and it costs money to print manuals.

Usually the motherboard comes with a pretty good manual on how to install everything, mobo into case, cpu, memory and graphics card installation and where to connect all the cables and possibly set some jumpers. Its basically the same with every mobo, so you could use manufacturer-1 instructions for help when installing manufacturer2 mobo. I think the manual on my DFi nF4 Ultra-D covers the basics pretty well, can be found on www.dfi.com.tw

Anyway once you get the components and think a bit its usually pretty clear whats supposed to go where :) Just be careful with the components, the dont like ESD for example. The effect can be compared to a three struck by lightning, they are retty much in proportion to each other. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

Dont worry about it too much though, just be careful and youll be fine. i´ve never managed to break anything with ESD.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:38 pm

Your best bet will be to search the web for some good articles on how to build your system. I learnt mostly through trial and error. I haven't come across any useful case manuals.

Some useful things to know:

1. Screws in a PC case come in 2 different threads - 6/32 and M3. If you use the wrong one and force it in, you risk stripping out the threads. Check web guides on what to use on what component - I can never recall offhand.

2. Always check the front panel switches / USB / firewire / sound connector against the motherboard manual. Some are polarity indifferent (e.g. power, reset). Others, if you connect it the wrong way around, will just not work until corrected (HDD LED, power LED). Some might result in impressive smoke (firewire, USB). For switches and LED, the white or stripped wire is usually the ground wire.

3. Always test before closing up the case. Hubris annoys the gods of PC assembly :-)

snowman59

Post by snowman59 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:46 pm

you should check the websites for your respective part manufacturer. Some manufacturers have much better diagrams and descriptions to go with them while others have nothing. Case manuals aren't really necessaru because (like nici said) they aren't needed. Installing components into the case are usually self-explanatory and hence need to manual.

On the other hand, if you're addressing compatipility issues with certain parts you might want to check online reviews for them. The better reviews address compatibility concerns or at least will show you pictures inside a case with other components and at least you can infer from that.

If you're just looking for information on your case before buying it you should check out the pictures available on newegg.com...they ca be quite good for figuring things out about a particular case. In my experience, all documentation that comes with parts is just about useless if you use some common sense and have any knowledge about assembling a computer.

~best of luck to you.