What case is quiet, cool, and will last me a long time?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

yox

What case is quiet, cool, and will last me a long time?

Post by yox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:47 pm

My main has been using a Lain Li case for 4 years or so. I was going to go with a Sonata II with the precut sound dampening kit but after reading around I'm not sure. I want something that is most importantly cool. I also want it quiet (which is why I am here) and I want it to last me a few years. My PSU is a Seasonic S12 600w. I'd like to not do any moding if possible. I'm willing to spend up to $200 but cheaper is better. The wife has stated she won't kill me if I spend $600 on an upgrade so the more the case costs the less I have for a new PSU/Mobo.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:14 pm

The new SOLO seems to be a very nice case. It's similar to antec p150 but without psu. They are not identical, the fronts differ between them I think. It costs 110 USD.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:35 am

antec SLK3700BQE and just remove the psu. the other versions have holes in side panels, or a hd cage I do not like as much.

It is quieter than a sonata as it has better flow which means cooler. If you want sound dampening, you then could afford a real, mass loaded vinyl sheet from something like soundproofing.org, that would kill extraneous noise rather dead.

the slk is like 70 dollars at most.

very good flow, very heavy weight, nice construction, no bling but doesnt look ugly at all.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Since you already have a good PSU, I would recommend the Antec SLK3000B. It was introduced after the SLK3700BQE model and looks very similar, but includes a side vent, CPU CAG, forward facing HD cages (for better airflow), and omits the PSU. I can get it for $60 Cdn, so it's probably under $50 in the US. I am pretty sure you can use the pre-cut kit for the 3700BQE on this case (except for the side holes). Reviewed here as well link

The afforementioned Antec SOLO also looks pretty good (and also omits the PSU) but I don't know much about that one yet. It may have the newer (softer) silicone HD mounting grommets though, which would be a plus for low-hassle, lower-noise HD installation.

I don't know if replacing fans would be a "mod" for you or not, but the Tricool case fans they come with are passably quiet at their lowest setting, although not as quiet as some slower fans right out of the box.

I would definitely not plan to replace that S12 600w PSU unless it is giving you problems. That PSU has tons of power and is pretty future-proof.

iom_dave

Antec SLK3000B

Post by iom_dave » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:05 am

Antec SLK3000B is a very good, pretty cheap case, you get very good cooling using the cpu duct as long the heat sink is a conventional flat one -a stock heatsink or a thermalright 120xp. It takes a couple of 120mm fans. My overclocked 3800 x2 (running at 2.4 ghz) is about 35c idle and 45c under load - was much lower in winter (30c and 41c) - warmer now - its summer!