Silverstone TJ02/TJ04 airflow concerns?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Entropism

Silverstone TJ02/TJ04 airflow concerns?

Post by Entropism » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:24 am

I was looking at replacing my Fong Kai FK-330, and the Silverstone TJ02 and 04 really caught my eye. My only concern is that there'd be a lack of airflow with a solid front panel. I'd be running two Yate Loon 120mm fans on the case, and another Yate Loon on my Ninja, but the case would be on carpet unless I put a mat or wood board underneath it. Another option would be a Scythe Kama bay, with the two hard drives mounted behind it in the 5.25" bays.

Anyone have experiences with these cases, and have OCed their processors? Just worried my temps would skyrocket, and I'd love the perspective of someone with experience with these cases.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:10 pm

I don't think any experience is necessary. The only inteake vent is a few slots at the bottom of the front bezel, which is woefully inadequate. I'd say avoid them unless you really want to do a lot of cutting. There are much better choices for cooling & acoustics. Your FK330 is a much better case in that regard. In fact, with the right mods, that's a great case...

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:29 pm

MikeC wrote:The only inteake vent is a few slots at the bottom of the front bezel, which is woefully inadequate. I'd say avoid them unless you really want to do a lot of cutting.
It's not the best for airflow, but it's not awful either - the strip along the bottom of the front bezel (which has the slots in) unscrews and comes out completely, leaving a reasonably sized intake area while looking no different from the front.

You'd probably need to stand the case on something though to stop the intake being blocked by the carpet pile, and the Kama Bay might not be a bad idea to be on the safe side if overclocking is a possibility...

Entropism

Post by Entropism » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Overclocking is a given. I'm running an opteron 170 at 2.8Ghz right now.

Also debating the TJ06, but I'm not a huge fan of cutting another 120mm hole by the hard drive rack.

Entropism

Post by Entropism » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:22 pm

Speaking on the TJ06, anyone have experience with it and a S12-600? Worried the 16" 24 pin cable wont reach.