Lian Li Hard disk isolation

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jaimemitche

Lian Li Hard disk isolation

Post by jaimemitche » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:10 pm

I just got a 6070 to replace my p60, it seems that the hard disks are now making quite a bit of the noise (apart from the psu). The drives are baracuda IV's (2 * 80gb) and a 1604n samsung drive. So should be quiet. All 3 are mounted in the bottom removable hard disk rack. I dont have any 5 1/2 bays free so cant use any hard disk isolation solutions there.

I was thinking prehaps there was a way to mount the lian li removable hard disk rack so that it was sort of decoupled from the rest of the case to stop the vibration. Has anyone done this or know any links etc.. Or have any suggestions. The rack has a tab at the back which goes into a slot, otherwise I was going to line the tops of the rails it sits on with some foam or rubber (somethign like that), however I then wont be able to get the tab thing in so would probably have to cut it off.

If anyone isnt familular with this lian li feature I'll dig out a pic to illustrate the bit I'm talking about.

Also any advice on how and which case damping material to add to the case (it already has some thin stuff installed). I was thinking of using an acoustipack delux ~ £40.

p.s. any news on the seasonic super silencer being avaliable in the UK?

Thanks

Jaime

wdekler

Post by wdekler » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:37 am

Hi,

I bought two pieces of aluminium which I used to "sandwhich" both drives. Between both drives I left about a centimeter and a half for cooling.

At the bottom I used two pieces of foam on which the construction rests.

I also used a poteniometer to turn down the two case fans which are used to cool the HDs.

Everything seems to be running just fine, the HDDs are silent and the temperature remains low. Its no problem to me that the HDDs aren't tightly mounted in this case and the metal provides for the cooling.

Wanne.

jaimemitche

Post by jaimemitche » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:51 am

Thanks for the reply, you dont have a picture of this do you as its a bit hard for me to visulise what exactly you have done. Sounds good though.

Thanks

Jaime

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:42 pm

my seagate drives were super loud when mounted vertically in the cage, now that they are mounted horizontally they are much quieter

wdekler

Post by wdekler » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:42 pm

Hi,

I don't have a camera so I can't make a picture.

Just make the pieces of iron as big as possible so they still fit in the drive cage. Don't make them to high so you can put some good dampening materials beneath it without the construction touching the roof of the cage.

If you like, I can make a measurement of the sizes for you.

Wanne.

jaimemitche

Post by jaimemitche » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:52 am

herosformula wrote:my seagate drives were super loud when mounted vertically in the cage, now that they are mounted horizontally they are much quieter
I just used the verticle to horizonal adapter to mount the 3 hard disk, and as far as I can tell the vibration and low frequency noise from the hard disks is greatly reduced. Although I wont know for sure until a few days of listing when its completely silent.

Thanks for the tip. Now to replcce my noisy antec psu and things will be nice and quiet.

Jaime