be quiet! or Cooltek dampening mats?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

roadman

be quiet! or Cooltek dampening mats?

Post by roadman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:10 am

Has anyone used "be quiet!" or Cooltekdampening mats?

The mats will be installed in an Antec Solo which at the moment is running quiet and cool with only the Seasonic S12 II fan running. This is fine for the winter, but when summer hits and the fans come on I want to be ready.

Jon

Ps thanks to all for the great site. What a wonderful resource.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:06 am

Welcome to SPCR!!

Dampening mat doesn't silent that much computer. But its nice finishing touch to kill some high pitched noise etc. I have Be Quiet!'s mat in SLK3000B. The quality of mat was good and I recomend it. I don't know about Cooltek.

roadman

Post by roadman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am

thejamppa wrote:Welcome to SPCR!!

Dampening mat doesn't silent that much computer. But its nice finishing touch to kill some high pitched noise etc. I have Be Quiet!'s mat in SLK3000B. The quality of mat was good and I recomend it. I don't know about Cooltek.
Many thanks for the friendly welcome and helpful info. The rear of the case surrounding the PSU vibrates a bit so I'm hoping to damp that down too.

Another question, does the be quiet! mat give off any smell after installation?

Jon

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:06 pm

As stated dampening mats are only uselful to add mass on the panels and to quieten down "cavity" noise within the case. It however will increase (slightly) the temperature within your case especially if it is Al. Since an Al case act as a heatsink. If you add dampening material in it you insulate and trap the heat within the case making the only exit heat point the exhaust fan(s).

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:07 am

the be quiets did had some fan smell but it disapeared with-in hours after glued. Unlike the notorious akasa paxmate, which smelled for 7 days ^^

roadman

Post by roadman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 am

LBadvance wrote:As stated dampening mats are only uselful to add mass on the panels and to quieten down "cavity" noise within the case.
Right now the cpu is running at 32 C with no fan so I'm guessing the trade off between lower cavity noise and added heat will be a positive one.
Jon

roadman

Post by roadman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:21 am

thejamppa wrote:the be quiets did had some fan smell but it disapeared with-in hours after glued. Unlike the notorious akasa paxmate, which smelled for 7 days ^^
That's good to know. Breathing toxic fumes in the name of silence ain't exactly my idea of a good time. :wink:
Jon